'Green Planet' Speculation

Author Topic: 'Green Planet' Speculation  (Read 11810 times)

amorgan

• Wide Awake

• http://www.theseventhdaymovie.com
« on: January 25, 2007, 06:43:45 PM »
What we know:

1.  "On ABC's The View, Shyamalan stated that his next project was a science fiction piece."

2.  "The one I'm writing now, I really love those 1970s and 60s paranoia movies ? The Andromeda Strain, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, so this new one is in that kind of vein."

3.  The Andromeda Strain, Michael Crichton's first novel which was adapted for the big screen in 1971, is a techno-thriller about an organic extraterrestrial virus that wipes out a Southwestern town when a US Government satellite crashes there after having been contaminated in space.

4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, a 1956 science fiction film, involves an alien species who replace human beings with home-grown clones made from "pods", organic seeds that have drifted through space for millennia.

5.  Green Planet, according to TMZ.com, involves "an alien invasion carried out using Nature's flora and fauna."  Many reporters are complaining that Steven Speilberg has already done this with War of the Worlds, as well as pointing out the fact that Shyamalan himself has already made an invasion movie (Signs).

However, what if the description of 'Green Planet's story has been utterly simplified by the media?  Do you really think Shyamalan would want to make another film about an alien virus?  Don't you think he would do something more original?

The description only says that flora and fauna would be "used" by the alien invaders.  It didn't comment on the nature of the aliens themselves.  What if, just as human beings are replaced by "pods" in "Body Snatchers", flora and fauna are being "embodied" by the aliens.  Perhaps the aliens are made of pure conciousness.  Perhaps they can use the material form of a tree as their body.

Can you imagine the creative possibilities?  How terrifying would a forest be, if you knew that its inhabitants were sentient?  Intelligent?  Malevolent?
Adam Morgan
Epiphany Pictures

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 04:18:50 AM »
man, i hope that he does find a home for green planet. i personally think that it would be great. i really dont want to see Avatar...im 20...haha. but anyway.... i hope that something happens for the better.

marco

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 05:26:36 PM »
It's obviously a difficult moment for him now,because the studios don't trust him...
What if he returns to Disney? :o  :roll:
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 03:37:26 AM »
I don't think he will return to Disney.
But I think he should actually go ahead and produce all his movies under his banner, "Blinding Edge Pictures" just like MEL GIBSON is doing his movies under his own production house ICON PRODUCTIONS.

Also, why he is not asking MEL GIBSON to accept GREENPLANET.

Rohan

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 07:05:03 AM »
I don't think he's got all the money he needs to make a film.
And don't forget he will also need a distributor for his movie.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »
You got a point there. I agree.
Damn those studios. Lets wait a month and see what changes he will have in his script and I hope a fin studio accepts his script.

Rohan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 11:33:05 AM »
I think if Shyamalan has a good cast list, and he believes he can obtain those actors for his film, this movie will find a home no doubt.
I just wanna know who he wants to star! Remember he said he had a "big star" in mind. I know we've gone over this before, but who do y'all think it could be?

Johnny Depp
Tom Hanks
Denzel Washington
Brad Pitt
Morgan Freeman
Bruce Willis
Julia Roberts

??

mathematicalArtist

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    FearEnds WhereFaithBegins
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 12:31:25 PM »
Quote from: "Dr Malcom Crowe"
I know we've gone over this before, but who do y'all think it could be?

Johnny Depp
Tom Hanks
Denzel Washington
Brad Pitt
Morgan Freeman
Bruce Willis
Julia Roberts

??

I honestly have no idea who it could be, but I think it would be cool if he could get Johnny Depp or Russell Crowe.  I suppose Tom Cruise could also be interesting.  I'm not sure if Christian Bale is considered a "big star" but I think he would also be a good choice.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
but most of them pick themselves up
and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

- Winston Churchill

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 01:05:49 PM »
Johnny Depp is my first choice, because he wanted to cast Johnny Depp in THE VILLAGE I believe. So my first choice is JOHNNY DEPP. My second choice would be "Morgan Freeman" and I don't think he will cast "Tom Cruise" because according to what his new script seems, TOM CRUISE has already worked in that kind of ALIENISH stuff.

Lets wait and see. :-)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 03:55:26 PM »
Quote from: "mathematicalArtist"

I honestly have no idea who it could be, but I think it would be cool if he could get Johnny Depp or Russell Crowe.  I suppose Tom Cruise could also be interesting.  I'm not sure if Christian Bale is considered a "big star" but I think he would also be a good choice.

Yeah, I forgot to put Russell on my list, he would be interesting. Christian Bale isn't well-known enough to be a 'big star', but I agree, he would be an excellent choice!!

Maya

• Signs

• my myspace
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 04:47:29 PM »
if the leads a guy...johnny depp, morgan freeman, jude law

we know almost nothing about the script so what if the lead's a female?
...drew barrymore, nicole kidman, uma thurman
-b.rocha

attributed to einstein:
"if the bees disappeared off the surface of the globe
than man would only have four years of life left."

http://www.myspace.com/274520477

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 05:22:03 PM »
Nicole Kidman is starring in an upcoming alien movie 'Invasion', which I believe is a loose remake of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', which is something Night cited as an inspiration for 'The Green Effect' so that ain't gon happen...

ok, say female leads.
Maya came up with

Uma Thurman
Drew Barrymore

I'll add

Julia Roberts
Halle Berry
Meryl Streep
Scarlett Johanson
Jodie Foster
Helen Hunt

Sri HK

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 01:03:21 AM »
Hmmm....it looks like Night is gonna break some rules.....i just read that Bryce is in talks to play the lead role.

http://filmick.blogspot.com/2007/02/bryce-dallas-howard-in-talks-to-topline.html

This is awesome!

8)
What you see isn't always what u get.

Maya

• Signs

• my myspace
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 06:01:02 PM »
Quote from: "Sri HK"
Hmmm....it looks like Night is gonna break some rules.....i just read that Bryce is in talks to play the lead role.

http://filmick.blogspot.com/2007/02/bryce-dallas-howard-in-talks-to-topline.html

This is awesome!

8)

i don't know, bryce is great and all but I kinda want to see someone else for this film...
-b.rocha

attributed to einstein:
"if the bees disappeared off the surface of the globe
than man would only have four years of life left."

http://www.myspace.com/274520477

mathematicalArtist

• Global Moderator

• Personal Text
    FearEnds WhereFaithBegins
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 12:32:24 AM »
I don't want to set myself up for a disappointment if it doesn't happen, but if Night is able to cast Bryce again for a lead role, I'm sure I don't have to tell you how awesome that would be.  Well, I'll tell you anyway.  That would be awesome!  :D

Seriously, though, it might seem strange to some that Night would cast Bryce three movies in a row, but she's such a wonderful actress that it takes all the strangeness out it for me.  Of course, Night is a genius, but even if he wasn't, he'd be a genius if only for the fact that he has chosen Bryce for two lead roles already.  Can you tell I'm a fan?  :wink:
Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
but most of them pick themselves up
and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

- Winston Churchill