Getting Better?

Author Topic: Getting Better?  (Read 4836 times)

Legolas

• The Sixth Sense

Getting Better?
« on: February 08, 2007, 04:29:16 PM »
I find this kind of strange and I would like to know if anybody has had a similar experience.  After LitW came out on DVD and I bought it, I watched it for the third time (I know, it's disgraceful that I only saw it twice in the theatre, but I can't drive yet).  It impacted me so much more than it had before.  I had a similar experience to when I watched The Village for the first time (Not quite as powerful, mind you).  I couldn't stop thinking about it and I had that feeling (many of you probably know what I'm talking about  :wink: ) for the longest time.  I just found it odd that I had seen the movie twice before and it didn't have the same effect on me.  Has it been this way for anyone else?

mathematicalArtist

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    FearEnds WhereFaithBegins
Getting Better?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:46:20 PM »
I don't know if it's exactly the same for me, but certainly, the more I watch Night's movies, particularly The Village and Lady in the Water, the more I appreciate and enjoy them.

Also, I'm pretty sure I know the "feeling" you're talking about. ;)
Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
but most of them pick themselves up
and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

- Winston Churchill

dan_arbro

• Wide Awake

• http://dan-arbro.deviantart.com/
    • Email
Getting Better?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 04:20:08 PM »
Sometimes movies that don't have much meaning for you at one point...end up having a much more profound imact on you later. The movie itself hasn't changed, but perhaps you have. Lady in the water always does this for me, as every time I watch it - it changes for me in some way. I know eventually I'll get sick of watching it. Right now it's loaned out to my film professor who has YET to return it to me X____X *is dying to watch it again*
"...your book will be the seeds of many of his great thoughts. They will be the seeds of change. "

Lifeordeath1

• Email
Re: Getting Better?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 01:52:26 AM »
I find this kind of strange and I would like to know if anybody has had a similar experience.  After LitW came out on DVD and I bought it, I watched it for the third time (I know, it's disgraceful that I only saw it twice in the theatre, but I can't drive yet).  It impacted me so much more than it had before.  I had a similar experience to when I watched The Village for the first time (Not quite as powerful, mind you).  I couldn't stop thinking about it and I had that feeling (many of you probably know what I'm talking about  :wink: ) for the longest time.  I just found it odd that I had seen the movie twice before and it didn't have the same effect on me.  Has it been this way for anyone else?

I was totally the same way!  I didnt enjoy LITW at the theater.  Thought it was his worst film ever!  I own it on dvd and now it's growing on me!  Wierd.  Talking about all this makes me want to watch it again! 
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 02:44:54 AM »
I'm still trying to like it more. It's ok. But not my favorite. :-\

1.21 Gigawatts

• Wide Awake

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 10:23:40 AM »
Sometimes movies that don't have much meaning for you at one point...end up having a much more profound imact on you later. The movie itself hasn't changed, but perhaps you have. Lady in the water always does this for me, as every time I watch it - it changes for me in some way. I know eventually I'll get sick of watching it. Right now it's loaned out to my film professor who has YET to return it to me X____X *is dying to watch it again*

exactly. Thats what happens with me. Theres actually been 2 movies that have changed the way I feel and think and act about things. One is Lady in the Water and the other is a film called 25th Hour. But for me, and I think for anyone, the way it impacts you all depends on who you are. And not only that, but I think it effects you depends on where you are in your life at the time. It may not effect you now, bt it maybe a year from now. Thats what "life changing" or having a big impact on you is all about. Not how many times you see it. Not on how good the movie is, but how it connects with you. Thats the way with all movies. Thats why some like some films, and others like others. And people will always like different films.

I just wish the Shyamalan haters would realize that and stop trying to "convince me" that they are horrible movies.  >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:25:26 AM by 1.21 Gigawatts »
~ "If the rule you followed brought you to this, what good is the rule?" ~

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 12:55:18 PM »
Yea, I saw Lady In The Water in theaters and I loved it.  There was just something magical about, that gloaming light, and the weird character (aren't we all weird in our own way).  Every time I watch a Shyamalan film I like it even better then before, each time I watch it I concentrate on a different aspect of his films and new stuff is revealed to me.  Shyamalan's films have so many layers.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 03:48:38 PM »
I was on Ebay looking for Shyamalan stuff and came upon a LITW dvd from England, I saw the picture and was surprised.  Kind of interesting how they market other countries.  Check out the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LADY-IN-THE-WATER-by-M-Night-Shyamalan_W0QQitemZ360012103197QQihZ023QQcategoryZ2288QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 09:57:47 AM »
Ooh, I like that.  It's really pretty and dark.  My only problem with it is that it looks like it's going to be some scary movie, otherwise I really like it.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 06:53:25 PM »
I would have liked a DVD cover that looked like the teaser poster.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 09:51:30 AM »
I can't remember what the teaser poster looked like, any help people.

Orandhite

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:07:48 AM »
This is the only Night movie since The Sixth Sense that I have NOT seen at the cinema.  I watched it first on DVD and was blown away by it, I just thought it was really well done, and was exactly what it tried to be - a fantasy story.  I have since watched the movie a further four or five times.   :D

I had the same feeling as the one described in the opening post of this topic when I saw The Village.  It was good, but the best, but after watching it at home I just felt it was a great film, and again have watched it many times!

That link is to a DVD cover that is an exclusive cover from HMV, it wasn't the normal cover:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=600393

The normal UK cover is this one:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=585374

I have both DVDs.   ;D

I think the teaser poster is this:

http://www.impawards.com/2006/lady_in_the_water.html
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:11:49 AM by Orandhite »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:44:45 AM »
Never mind, I got confused, I was thinking of The Village.  I remember what it looked like, and the DVD cover was a lot like the teaser poster.  I like the DVD cover.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:16:51 PM »
OOOOooooo.... nice!  I really like that original cover you have over there in england!  Thanks for the post!

This is the only Night movie since The Sixth Sense that I have NOT seen at the cinema.  I watched it first on DVD and was blown away by it, I just thought it was really well done, and was exactly what it tried to be - a fantasy story.  I have since watched the movie a further four or five times.   :D

I had the same feeling as the one described in the opening post of this topic when I saw The Village.  It was good, but the best, but after watching it at home I just felt it was a great film, and again have watched it many times!

That link is to a DVD cover that is an exclusive cover from HMV, it wasn't the normal cover:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=600393

The normal UK cover is this one:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=585374

I have both DVDs.   ;D

I think the teaser poster is this:

http://www.impawards.com/2006/lady_in_the_water.html
      M. Night Shyamalan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 10:06:45 PM »
I like the UK DVD cover a lot as well! It seems more fitting for the movie.