Seeds of Change

Author Topic: Seeds of Change  (Read 2336 times)

dan_arbro

• Wide Awake

• http://dan-arbro.deviantart.com/
    • Email
Seeds of Change
« on: June 07, 2007, 04:28:54 PM »
This movie has had a profound effect on me. This movie is what made me an M. Night Shyamalan fan! I knew I wanted to see it the first time I saw the teaser with John Groban singing in the background. I want nothing more than to be a writer - especially I would love to strive to be just as good as M. Night... but that has yet to be proven. I think M. Night was on to something very profound with this movie.

I think its in "The Man who Heard Voices" where M. Night talks about his motivation. He references Uncle Tom's Cabin. I read this play by Harriet Beecher Stowe in my Theatre History I class in my second year of University. This play was written in hopes to effect change, and its with this hope does Stowe have an effect on Abe Lincoln. Lincoln probably read or saw the play performed and something clicked with him. As many have probably pointed out in analyses of this film, its ALL about writing and inspiration. (in my opinion) someone could disagree. How he pokes fun at film critics being know it alls that know nothing... how Mr. Farber points out that Rain in movies is stupid, where Cleveland states it as maybe a sign of "beginning anew" and "Purity". Shyamalan uses it in the end of the movie. GRAH! I love it. This man is a genius. I would give anything to meet him and have a chat with him.

He inspired me to write even more than I wanted to before. I want to write to invoke change. If I can in someway write something that will make one person stop, and maybe think about making the right choices in life - I'll have done my job!

Cheers to Night~ Hip Hip Horrah!

and THANK YOU NIGHT for not sacrificing Quality for Disney! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.... and thank you Alan Horn for accepting night at Warner Bros! Best move you've made yet Night. I don't care what critics say about your film, or what kind of backlash you've gotten for it. Good for you!~ hahaha

</end dork>
"...your book will be the seeds of many of his great thoughts. They will be the seeds of change. "

Legolas

• The Sixth Sense

Seeds of Change
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 04:52:58 PM »
Excellent post!  I know just what you're talking about.  M. Night Shyamalan truly is a genius.  It's just a shame that not everyone can see the same thing that we do when they watch the movie.  And the critics can't get past the whole "poking fun at film critics" thing.  They just can't take the truth. :wink:   I want to be a filmmaker for the same reason that you want to write.  There are films that have had a great influence on me.  I want to make films that will influence others the become better.  Especially since there are so many films being made that have a negative impact on people.

Imalshen

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
Re: Seeds of Change
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 10:51:28 PM »
It's nice to finally find people who agree with me on this. I came out of that movie with a "pins and needles" feeling inside, and every time I watch it it has the same affect.

I can only hope that I will inspire people the way Night inspires me. My first novel comes out in a few weeks, and while it's nothing like Night's masterpieces I hope to have that affect on people some day.
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 01:42:28 PM »
I am still in high school, a senior, and ever since I started to see Shyamalan's films I have wanted to become a director.  Even more so since I saw Lady In The Water.  Excellent film. 
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

springheeledjack

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 12:01:44 AM »
I think the movie itself sums it up...and the allegory of "Story" as a seed for change, but only to the "One."  It is allegorical because in seeing the reviews and the public reactions, it is obvious that this movie does speak to some, but not most of the movie public.  And perhaps that is the point after all, that for those that the movie spoke to, not to let the ideas and the emotion die, but to pour it into your own creations.

So go and write your "cookbooks" in all their many forms...

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 12:52:10 PM »
I liked the idea of the Cookbook, it doesn't mean that all of his ideas will turn out for the better, but it is just a place where peoples ideas can boil, and be thought over.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village