The Script and Title

Author Topic: The Script and Title  (Read 2628 times)

amorgan

• Wide Awake

• http://www.theseventhdaymovie.com
The Script and Title
« on: July 11, 2007, 12:23:41 PM »
1) Has anyone else found the old spec script online, when it was called "The Green Effect"?  IMDB is buzzing about it right now...I read it yesterday.  What did you guys think?

2) Does anyone else think the title is cumbersome?  I mean, really..."The Happening"?  I liked "Green Planet" a lot better.  The Happening sounds like a cheap horror flick, not to mention it's an awkward noun that's almost never used in the English language!
Adam Morgan
Epiphany Pictures

UFOReader

• Praying with Anger

The Script and Title
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:51:09 PM »
I haven't read the script yet. I have it sitting on my hard drive, but I don't want to know too much. I read the first 2 scenes, and liked them.

As far as the title goes, as I understand it "The Green Effect" would have had a nice tie-in with the ending. Although I like the idea of that, I don't think the movie needs it to be successful. "Green Planet" is a pretty cool title. But I have to say I like "The Happening" as well. It has a nice 1950's horror/thriller/paranoia feel to it. Kind of like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." And if he's going to up the scare factor, I think "The Happening" is a stronger title.

Wags

• The Happening

The Script and Title
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 11:44:37 PM »
I read the spec script, and while I thought it was a solid script, i think that it really sort of needed some rewrites.  The beginning seemed a little rough, but after that it really picked up afterwards.  But I really liked it.  And as always, I love Night's creativity.  And the fact that there was a bidding war over the re-written script really seems encouraging that the script is even better than it originally was.  

As for the title, I thought "Green Planet" was the best title it had.  "The Happening" to me at least seems like a sort of weak title.  And I'm afraid that the general public will feel the same way.  When I think of the phrase "The Happening", I think of movies with titles like that that have failed at the BO (Ex. "The Reaping", "The Covenant", etc.)  

But, like the rest of us here, I have faith in Nights movie and I hope only the best.

amorgan

• Wide Awake

• http://www.theseventhdaymovie.com
The Script and Title
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 09:57:24 AM »
Yes - "The Green Effect" does refer to something at the end of the script (other than the environmental crisis), and thus serves as a double entendre.  But "Green Planet" still wins in my book.  I agree that "The Happening" sounds like "The Reaping" or "The Messengers"...

Like you, I hope that the rewrite cleaned the story up a bit.  The narrative got a little repetitive to me, as though Night was trying to scare us with the same thing over and over.  And I found the characters a little flat (especially Julian and Jess).  Plus I never really felt like there was a real apocalyptic threat like the synopsis promises.

I've got faith in Night, so let's hope he's retooled the story for the better.  As it stands, I don't think it would have fared much better than "Lady in the Water".
Adam Morgan
Epiphany Pictures

Reflection

• Unbreakable

Re: The Script and Title
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 12:11:13 AM »
If this movie is based on a Power Garden...

Grown by and person of Heigher Awareness and the garden opens a fire gate in it's middle...

I'll be aggravated if the gate goes to the wrong place!! :-*

I need it to get me to southern Mexico... ;D

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 12:02:41 PM »
I haven't read the script yet. I have it sitting on my hard drive, but I don't want to know too much. I read the first 2 scenes, and liked them.

Same here!!  :D

Reflection

• Unbreakable

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 01:30:53 PM »
Got the script??

That's no fun, you gotta guess that the trees will attack and stuff..

He sets up the next movie in all the previous ones doesn't he?? Yes he does!! ;D

The trees coming to the rescue last movies, the tree attack this movie...

What would a freaked out tree be affraid of is the main question...

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:10:48 AM by Reflection »