Sound effect

Author Topic: Sound effect  (Read 2674 times)

dekan

• Praying with Anger

• Dekan's Film Watch
    • Email
Sound effect
« on: October 05, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
Apologies if this has been discussed before...

According to Steve Boeddeker, the MPAA gave the film an "R" rating due to a single sound effect, which was later removed. Boeddeker refuses to disclose just what the sound was, but has stated that the scene worked even better without it.

Was this information ever finally released? Though I've had my speculations, it's been haunting me for years. I'm interested to hear any thoughts!

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: Sound effect
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 03:52:35 PM »
Is it really possible to get an R rating for just a sound effect.  I mean when I watched the Lord of the Rings, after the fight at Osgiliath, when the lead orc stabs the man in the chest, it was pretty brutal sounding.  I don't know, I just started to ramble.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

dekan

• Praying with Anger

• Dekan's Film Watch
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 04:07:35 PM »
Is it really possible to get an R rating for just a sound effect.  I mean when I watched the Lord of the Rings, after the fight at Osgiliath, when the lead orc stabs the man in the chest, it was pretty brutal sounding.  I don't know, I just started to ramble.

I wouldn't think so, but apparently it is possible, since I read several articles about Steve Boeddeker confirming this to be true (and I believe the film ratings board to be a tad messed up, for lack of better wording)! *shrug* I've always found this very interesting...

Specter

• Administrator

• NarniaFans
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 07:08:52 PM »
I'm willing to bet that it was the stabbing scene.  Note: the scene works even better without any sound.  I can still remember the shock that I and the audience felt when we saw the knife come out.  With a sound effect, that would not have happened like that.

dekan

• Praying with Anger

• Dekan's Film Watch
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 07:45:59 PM »
I'm willing to bet that it was the stabbing scene.  Note: the scene works even better without any sound.  I can still remember the shock that I and the audience felt when we saw the knife come out.  With a sound effect, that would not have happened like that.

I thought that was the most likely scene as well.  :)

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 02:15:06 PM »
I'd have to say the movie version works better.  With the silence, and then all of a sudden you realise that Lucius has been stabbed.  The camera is more from his point of view, and its this stunned silence.  Excellent scene.

dekan

• Praying with Anger

• Dekan's Film Watch
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 04:18:30 PM »
I'd have to say the movie version works better.  With the silence, and then all of a sudden you realise that Lucius has been stabbed.  The camera is more from his point of view, and its this stunned silence.  Excellent scene.

I definitely agree!

Zozaya

• Signs

• Personal Text
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 05:14:54 PM »
Hey, i heard that it was a sort of BONECRUSHING sound, i'm not really sure where i read it or where it might be put in the movie, but it's an interesting thing to consider. ??? :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(
Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing?

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 06:47:48 PM »
Well, if it were a bone crushing sound it might be when Noah falls into the pit.  Or in a scene Shyamalan cut from the movie.  It still stuns me that you can get an R rating for a sound effect, when they can have fairly graphic sex, or a lot of language in a movie and not get an R rating.  O well, the MPAA board has its reasons.