Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 178

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 183

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 184

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 220

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 223

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 235

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 250

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 268
The Happening-Success or Bust

Author Topic: The Happening-Success or Bust  (Read 17818 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
The Happening-Success or Bust
« on: October 20, 2007, 04:18:58 PM »
I just thought it would be intersting to find out what people thought, wether The Happening would be a hit-box office or academy awards, or will it be a bust.  I personally think it will be great, commercially I also think it will do well.  I think Shyamalan comes back with this film, he going to recoup his old audinces that were just in it for the thrill and he will be popular again, at least for a short time. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 01:09:57 PM by Specter »
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Unbroken

Re: The Happening-Success of Bust
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 04:55:23 PM »
Agreed.

- It's alright to be afraid, David. Because this part won't be anything like a comic book. Real life doesn't fit into little boxes that were drawn for it. -

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:36:03 PM »
I hope Shyamalan comes back with this film; he really deserves it. His first 3 were my favorites...Unfortunately, his last two--especially, Lady In The Water, lacked that special something that the first 3 had. I hope he brings the magic back with The Happening.

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:05:49 AM »
depends on what the trailers are like...i'm not saying anything till we see how it's going to be marketed.
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

swingaway

• Wide Awake

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 05:38:08 PM »
I think even his "dissapointments" are a success - He has such a high standard to meet to live up to Sixth Sense and Signs.  Can one really watch The Village without holding it up to Sixth?  Not easily.  The Village and Lady in the Water did not grab me as much the 1st time, but his movies grow on me and the more I watch them the more I love them.  I am looking forward to it!!

Unbroken

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 01:52:57 PM »
Quote afi_village: "depends on what the trailers are like..."

That's very true, The Village and Lady in the Water were both marketed incorrectly which I believe led to much audience dissapointment. The trailers for Lady in the Water had a misleading ghostly feel to them, and everyone watching The Village was expecting to see people get mauled by monsters. Instead they got a drama/romance with meaningful dialogue, great music, a look at human nature, and kissing.

The Happening, however, is going to be very intense and I doubt the guys working on the trailers and promotion will be able to overdo it. This time Night is delivering what audience and critics have been whining for all along.

- It's alright to be afraid, David. Because this part won't be anything like a comic book. Real life doesn't fit into little boxes that were drawn for it. -

leftfield

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 08:06:45 PM »
depends on what the trailers are like...i'm not saying anything till we see how it's going to be marketed.

I feel the same way. If they don't promote it just right, I'll be bummed.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 08:08:29 PM by leftfield »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 08:43:19 AM »
I don't get why people say he is not a succesful director- just look at what his movies have made, first of all he is hugely popular overseas always brings in atleast 100 million.  Then in the united states he still manage to recoup the costs of the movie, and then bring in at least another 20-30 million, and that's his worst movies.  How come people never complain about the other movies that don't even recoup what they cost to make.  People just don't like Shyamalan because he makes them think-they just want a feel-good movie, one where they can watch lots of things blowing up, or one where the couple falls in love at the end.  O well, I've heard true art is not appreciated, except by those loyal fans on this board. 

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 02:58:38 AM »
  People just don't like Shyamalan because he makes them think-they just want a feel-good movie, one where they can watch lots of things blowing up, or one where the couple falls in love at the end.  O well, I've heard true art is not appreciated, except by those loyal fans on this board. 

WELL SAID MR. GLASS.

I LIVE IN OHIO. OK. IM AMERICAN.
AMERICAN AUDIENCES ARE SIMPLE MINDED CHIMPS.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 10:03:13 AM »
  People just don't like Shyamalan because he makes them think-they just want a feel-good movie, one where they can watch lots of things blowing up, or one where the couple falls in love at the end.  O well, I've heard true art is not appreciated, except by those loyal fans on this board. 

WELL SAID MR. GLASS.

I LIVE IN OHIO. OK. IM AMERICAN.
AMERICAN AUDIENCES ARE SIMPLE MINDED CHIMPS.

For the most part yes, but not always.  What's the reaction to Shyamalan out in Ohio.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 10:12:08 PM »
M.Night comes with originality. In the words of the NEW tenant in LADY IN THE WATER the critic guy who said "THERE IS NO ORIGINALITY LEFT". Writers are on strike, because they want to get what they deserve. Studios are keep making sequels. Transformers one, no doubt awesome movie now they are coming with sequel.

M.Night comes with an original idea each time. He never failed his movies. It's the money we are talking when it comes to a failure. In fact, its the failure when a BS movie comes out and people loves it, cause it has nudity.

M.Night's THE HAPPENING is original. It will be successful no doubt.

Rohan

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 11:19:58 PM »
ohio isnt too bad. all my friends have and enjoy all of night's movies.
but my girlfriends family and a few people i know hate his movies after "signs".....

people would rather see gross torture, sex filled, generic movies that something that has depth to it, something with heart.
it sad really.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 10:04:03 AM »
Yea, Rohan, even his movies money wise have always made plenty, except for Lady In The Water which made enough to pay for the costs.  I like that note about the critic in Lady In The Water, I had forgotten about that.  Shyamalan does come out with original storylines with each of his movies, it could hardly be said better about BS movies also.  For the most part Americans are just interested in torture, sex, and generic movies, which is sad, and dissapointing, both that there are few new stories out there, and that we have such an interest in that type of film.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 11:56:34 AM »
America needs to grow up!  Dont get me wrong, Michael Bay (action) is one of my favorite directors!  I love his work ethic, enthusiasm, so many camera angles, the color style!  But transformers sucked booty!  Saw in the theater and never did rent it. 

But very true, about the sex, gore, language etc. in movies these days.  If it doesnt have that, it will never win an acadamy award!  It wont even ever be considered!  Sorry, except for The Sixth Sense, but that was an exception.  If its not artsy nor explicit, the judges dont care.  Its really hard to ask this, but do you think Night will ever win another A award again?  I hate to ask but...

I am into film, love to write my own stuff, etc. etc.  Everyone I know writes horror features or shorts!  WHAT THE HECK!?  Thats the only thing people know how to do!?!  GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!  Its so "easy", they want to do something easy and cheap to say they made a movie.  Well WHOOP DIE DOO!  I could write a horror movie in about 2 seconds.  People need to get an actual brain.  Anyway, back to Shyamalan... ;D
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 12:10:33 PM »
I am sure there can be a debate on whether or not Lady in the Water recovered it's costs.

If you look at the U.S. market alone, I think it reflects poorly on the film, and I think international numbers don't help anything.

The estimated production budget is around $68 million. The marketing budget for the U.S. market has been estimated in neighborhood of $60-75 million. That leaves us with a conservative budget total of $130 million. It could also be debated on whether or not manufacturing and distribution costs are included in any of those numbers. After the several weeks of release that Lady endured, the U.S. box-office total was $42.3 million. DVD rental gross for the film is in the $30-50 million dollar range, and there are no official numbers on DVD sales but I imagine they are similar to the rental figures.

Before adding those numbers together, you have to consider how much of the box-office and rental gross does that studio walk away with? So given a liberal estimate, revenue for Lady in the Water in the U.S. market could be somewhere in the vicinity of $100 million. If you assume WB received tax credits for filming in PA, which they probably did, that number is probably something like $14 million. That still leaves Lady in the Water shy $16 million dollars.

I'd love for someone to point out any holes in my argument, but let's not get into a lengthy discussion about Lady in the Water in The Happening forum.