Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 178

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 183

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 184

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 220

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 223

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 235

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 250

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 268
The Happening-Success or Bust

Author Topic: The Happening-Success or Bust  (Read 17659 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Re: The Happening-Success of Bust
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 11:11:24 PM »
I am sure there can be a debate on whether or not Lady in the Water recovered it's costs.

If you look at the U.S. market alone, I think it reflects poorly on the film, and I think international numbers don't help anything.

The estimated production budget is around $68 million. The marketing budget for the U.S. market has been estimated in neighborhood of $60-75 million. That leaves us with a conservative budget total of $130 million. It could also be debated on whether or not manufacturing and distribution costs are included in any of those numbers. After the several weeks of release that Lady endured, the U.S. box-office total was $42.3 million. DVD rental gross for the film is in the $30-50 million dollar range, and there are no official numbers on DVD sales but I imagine they are similar to the rental figures.

Before adding those numbers together, you have to consider how much of the box-office and rental gross does that studio walk away with? So given a liberal estimate, revenue for Lady in the Water in the U.S. market could be somewhere in the vicinity of $100 million. If you assume WB received tax credits for filming in PA, which they probably did, that number is probably something like $14 million. That still leaves Lady in the Water shy $16 million dollars.

I'd love for someone to point out any holes in my argument, but let's not get into a lengthy discussion about Lady in the Water in The Happening forum.

Dr.Malcom Crowe,

Wow! where did you get those numbers from?  :) I see sometimes how much a movie made and in the meantime I am more into what kind of effort did the makers,actors,writer put in a movie. M.Night shyamalan's LADY IN THE WATER is a failure financially in the words of critics,magazines,media and studios. But let's think for a minute about the originality of the concept behind the motion picture. M.Night is a story teller, not only a film maker. How many film makers in Hollywood makes stupid movies that doesn't make sense at all. ELI ROTH's HOSTEL, I have never seen it, reading the synopsis I was like "WAKE UP" what a waste of time. There are so many ideas and stories that needs to be written and shown to the world.

See, I am a script writer myself. I am writing for  first one at the moment. When my movie comes out, I will not look a the budget, I will look at the originality. What I can learn from the movie as a writer,actor I need to learn and in the meantime what can I learn from the movie that can impact my life.

Lady In The Water shows that MEN never listens means never cares. We are all connected and our only goal is to respect,protect,love each other. The apartment in the movie is a GLOBE with different people from different countries, no matter where we came from or who we are, we are from this world, from one appartment. Everybody's apt complex's water goes off sometimes,  everyone in the world has a issue somtimes. That's the meaning of the film.

I don't care how much it made. I care what I learn from the movie. No mistakes at all.

Rohan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 11:20:44 PM »
We've discussed the real and true significance of Lady in the Water a million times over. I was talking numbers in response to Mr Glass' comment about Night's movies always recouping their costs.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 09:15:39 PM »
We've discussed the real and true significance of Lady in the Water a million times over. I was talking numbers in response to Mr Glass' comment about Night's movies always recouping their costs.

Hi Malcom, yeah I know you were just replying to Mr.Glass. I was just throwing my idea.. :-)

Rohan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »
Both Rohan and Dr Malcom Crowe, you are right.  Thanks for the figures, they helped a lot.  Yea, I like to learn lessons from the movies that I watch also.  I liked your post Rohan.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »
Both Rohan and Dr Malcom Crowe, you are right.  Thanks for the figures, they helped a lot.  Yea, I like to learn lessons from the movies that I watch also.  I liked your post Rohan.

Thanks Mr.Glass

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 09:58:53 AM »
No problem Rohan.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 08:52:24 PM »
Does anyone else here have a HSX account?

The current prediction is $98 million dollars gross for the first 4 weeks of release.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 06:32:59 PM »
What's an HSX account, and prediction for what.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 07:09:12 PM »
HSX is a virtual entertainment stock market.

You can buy fake shares in a movie or actor/director. The value of the stock is based off how well investors think it will perform in 4 weeks at the U.S. Box Office.

Currently the stock for The Happening is worth $98 million dollars. If the movie only does say $50 million dollars at the box office in 4 weeks, investors will lose roughly half of all of the virtual money that had invested in that stock.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 10:20:20 AM »
Thats sweet what is the name of the website?
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 12:01:24 PM »
HSX.com

The HSX stands for Hollywood Stock Exchange.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 03:41:02 PM »
But I don't think The Happening will make "50" in four weeks. I think it will make more than that by the fourth week. Mark my word...

Rohan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008, 03:30:21 PM »
Dude, that is sweet, I will have to check that out.  Thanks for the information Dr Malcom Crowe.  That's not bad for The Happening, but I still think it will do better.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 04:27:52 PM »
Hi guys,

I was watching SIGNs on my HDDVD, it was fun watching it again. After that I started thinking that why we are talking about "The Happening" success. Is it going to be successful or not. I mean WE DON'T BELIEVE IN M.NIGHT ANYMORE? You know guys, I do. I do believe in him. He is a awesome writer and director.

We as fans of M.Night should never confuse our believe,support,love,respect with the critics reviews or box office MONEY.

I am not picking on anyone here, just saying this as I wanted to take it out of my chest. I am waiting for "The Hapening". Mark my word, it will be a CLASSIC. A timeless Classic. Like today's "No Country For Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood" or even better.

Rohan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2008, 04:42:11 PM »
We as fans of M.Night should never confuse our believe,support,love,respect with the critics reviews or box office MONEY.

Is anyone confusing those two things here?