Best Acting In Shyamalan's Films

Author Topic: Best Acting In Shyamalan's Films  (Read 11276 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Best Acting In Shyamalan's Films
« on: October 20, 2007, 04:33:46 PM »
Who do you think are the best actors in Shyamlan's films, overall and in each individual one.
The Sixth Sense-Bruce Willis-great job all around
Unbreakable-Samuel L. Jackson-superb, playing the offset, badguy, but you feel pity for him
Signs-Joaquin Phoenix-great, funny, convincing, and totally determined to do what right, no matter the cost
The Village-I would under normal circumstances say Joaquin Phoenix, excellent job, but Bryce Dallas Howard is not to be beaten, she played blind Ivy Walker so incredibly well I still think she should have gotten an academy award, superb job
Lady In The Water-Paul Giamatti- couldn't have been better insecure, but willing to put up a fight, comforting, determined
Just wondering what everybody else thought.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Unbroken

Re: Best Acting In Shyamalan's Films
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 05:07:07 PM »
I agree on everything except The Sixth Sense, simply because I think a whole lot more was required emotionally of Haley Joel Osment, and he delivered quite well. That's not to say anything lacked in Bruce Willis's performence though.

I also have a hard time choosing between Joaquin and Bryce, both of them played their parts incredibely well, and Lucius and Ivy are so different as characters. Joaquin expressed himself superbly by simply not saying anything at all, and when he finally did open his mouth he spoke with very convincing, heart-felt conviction. But I think I've got to hand it to Bryce, because she actually did most of the talking (quite a bit of it too... haha) and did it perfectly each moment.

Good post. This forum needs more posts.

--- The world moves for love. It kneels before it in awe. ---
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 05:15:29 PM by Unbroken »

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:51:30 PM »
The Sixth Sense- Haley Joel Osment
Unbreakable- Bruce Willis
Signs- Mel Gibson
The Village- Bryce Dallas Howard
Lady In The Water- Paul Giammatti...don't know if I spelled that right   ???

Overall-- Haley Joel Osment ;D

swingaway

• Wide Awake

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:57:19 PM »
I would have to go with the kids for most of the movies...
Sixth Sense - you get lost in this little boy and his problem.  If he was not convincing, the twist would have been obvious
Signs - Who else could have delivered the line "Their is a monster outside my room. Can I have a drink of water?"  IMO Signs is the best acted film out there, but the kids were amazing.
The Village - I love Joaquin , always, but for me it was Adrien Brody - Noah Percy.  Remember the town meeting when they are reading the letter and reveal that it is written by Lucius?  Everyone is shocked and gasps, but Noah claps and laughs.
Lady in the Water - I really liked M Nights role
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:49:08 PM by swingaway »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 06:52:46 PM »
Unborken, I love your signature, excellent.  Everyone's remarks about Haley Joel Osmunt are so true and it's making me wonder if I should change my mind.  I think I need to go watch it right now and decide.

Unbroken

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 08:36:18 AM »
I'm glad you like it. It's probably one of the top 10 the boldest statements ever made in cinema. That's why I admire Night. No one else has the guts to say things like that in movies anymore.

leftfield

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 09:43:59 PM »
Unbroken, Which film is that quote from?

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 09:49:59 PM »
The Village.

Unbroken

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 08:47:20 AM »
It was actually that line that got me hooked on Night. I knew that whoever wrote that was someone I could really respect. I usually don't call myself a fan of anybody, because it often leads to dissapointment if the celebrity goes corrupt or just plain screwy; but someone who says that the world has a purpose, and the purpose is a good one despite the horrible things that happen, is someone I can call a brother even if I've never met him. It's more than just "good guys win" and "happily ever after", it's an unabashed statement of what I believe is true. Night believes in providence, divine intervention, and mankinds need to be redeemed. We need more movies like that.

We need more people like M. Night Shyamalan.

leftfield

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 11:24:29 AM »
It was actually that line that got me hooked on Night. I knew that whoever wrote that was someone I could really respect. I usually don't call myself a fan of anybody, because it often leads to dissapointment if the celebrity goes corrupt or just plain screwy; but someone who says that the world has a purpose, and the purpose is a good one despite the horrible things that happen, is someone I can call a brother even if I've never met him. It's more than just "good guys win" and "happily ever after", it's an unabashed statement of what I believe is true. Night believes in providence, divine intervention, and mankinds need to be redeemed. We need more movies like that.

We need more people like M. Night Shyamalan.

But who in The Village uttered the line and when? (I had thought it was in The Village, but couldn't place who said it.)

I don't know that much about Shyamalan, but I do know that it's easier to believe in divine intervention, providence, love, and so on, when life is good. I'm not saying I don't believe in them, mind you. It's just that when desperate times become a way of life, love seems more like a concept and less like a possible reality. Please excuse me if I sound jaded. I'm trying very hard not to, because I don't want to be jaded. (A smartass, yes; jaded, no.)  I also think it's hard to believe in providence and divine intervention when not everyone receives it. Some people suffer. Others don't. Why the heck would God be so unfair? (Assuming there is providence and divine intervention, that is.) I do believe in God--an enormous irrationality, given my situation in life, I think--but I don't think I believe in religion. People tend to make a mess of things when they try to pin God down to the specifics of religion. Still, for some people, religion works, so who am I to say?

Anyhoo, it's apparent that Shyamalan has gone through a sort of quest of his own to try to understand God. I say "apparent," because you can see his ideas and beliefs developing over time just by watching his movies. That said, however, I *try* to avoid judging an artist one way or the other based on their work. I have to know a person in real life before I know if they're someone I can respect. I can make assumptions, though--for instance, like you, I assume Shyamalan's an exceedingly decent guy based on what he's done with his movies--but one never knows what's going on in another person's head. So, for all I know, he could be a jerk who happens to make nice films.

Btw, contrary to appearances I am not getting paid by the word to write this.;D

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 11:28:33 AM »
What a great post Unbroken, you're right.  Shyamalan has the guts to do and say what no one else will, and unfortunately sometimes people do not want to hear the truth.  They want fluffy, love stories, mindless action, but never anything that makes you think.  Not to say those are bad movies, but they don't carry the same weight for me and are therefore not my top picks.  I think superhero movies tend to combine the action with some major point, but sometimes that is lost in what's amazing on screen.  That's one reason why I like the X-Men the best of the superhero genre, excluding Unbreakable.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 11:34:54 AM »
In answer to your question leftfield it is spoken by William Hurt (Mr. Walker) after the council finds out that he has sent Ivy to the towns.  One of the members mentions that he sent a blind girl out into a dangerous world and Hurt replies with the line "The world moves for love, it kneels for it in awe."  Great line.  IN response to your other statement I agree, it is much easier to believe in a god when times are good, but when times are bad it is much harder.  By the way, you aren't sounding jaded.  I think religion is a way for people to grab onto something, when you just believe in something out there, you say to yourself, how does that work with me, I need a purpose, a way to go in my life.  I am a Christian, but I don't know if people want me talking about that on this board, trying to proselityze, I hope I spelled that right, some of my beliefs come through on my posts but I'm not here to try and convert or anything like that.  If people want to talk about my beliefs more, I believe it would be best to do that by private message. 

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 11:37:46 AM »
We could always devote a message board to the debate of different beliefs among the members, but that should be something we would take a poll on, such as wether or not to have a board like that.  The danger with something like that is people can become angry, stuck-up, jaded, that kind of thing.  So people would have to moderate what they said.  So far on all these message boards the tone has been pretty good.

Unbroken

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 02:52:13 PM »
Mr. Glass: I think religion and beliefs would be a good thing to discuss on these boards. Night's movies are always spiritual one way or another and even though disagreements are inevitable, it would be wrong to not discuss such things because we're afraid someone might lose their cool. Spirituality is something we can't ignore, especially as Shyamalan's fans.

Leftfield: I know just what you mean about god being "unfair". But the fact of the matter is he's not fair at all, he's incredibly merciful. At the end of every persons life, the amount of fun they had isn't going to matter. The real question is whether they are going to spend eternity in heaven or in hell. And no one deserves heaven. 99% of every bad thing that happens is a product of humanity's sin. Even Graham Hess's wife getting killed is a consequence of sin. That may sound confusing at first, but look at it this way: if all of mankind was absolutely sinless, and we didn't waste SO MUCH TIME among ourselves bickering, conniving with political agendas, warring, and spending time and money on our selfish desires, and we instead had the brains to put all that energy into helping each-other and ONLY each-other, not ourselves, if we all became COMPLETELY sacrificial, I swear the race of man could enter into what we might call a "space age" in just a couple centuries. In such a world, even things like kitchen accidents would be nil because we would have advanced so incredibly far.

But as it is, we are all stuck on this planet, fending for ourselves. Because even if 75% of humanity became perfect, the other 25% would do nothing but exploit the completely perfect 75%. There will always be people like Hitler, Osama bin Laden, and so forth. Subsequently, the race of man suffers as a whole. And the fact of the matter is no one can complain, because no one is perfect. Although Graham's wife was undoubtedly a good person, and hadn't done anything to deserve getting crushed by a vehicle, she and everyone else on earth is subject to the punishment our kind feels so necessary to inflict upon itself.

It won't end until mankind finally wakes up. And we are a long way off.

Okay that was the bad news. Now here is the good news:

According to what I believe, The Bible, God will one day resurrect the dead in a new and perfect world. He won't resurrect everyone; many of the rebellious will get what they deserved. But others, the ones who trusted God and made effort to do righteousness despite the horrors around them, will be remade perfect without the evil desires that inhabited their carnal flesh. Their eternal souls will be placed in eternal, flawless bodies, and eventually the things they suffered in the first life will be like a silly nightmare we might have had years ago as children. All in all it sounds pretty good if you ask me.

And the amazing thing about it is it's not fair. God's not fair. We aren't going to get what we deserve. I, for one, am grateful.

Anyway that's what I believe about the world as a whole. I think it has a purpose, started by Someone who had too much Life inside to just wander around between dimensions. He needed to create, He needed to Love, and He needed to BE Loved. The world isn't an accident, and if so there is a POINT to it all. And I think the point is a good one. If it isn't, life is not worth living.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 02:54:24 PM by Unbroken »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 11:00:17 AM »
Excellent post, that took a lot of guts.  I totally agree with you on your points.  One other interesting aspect I noticed about Shyamalan's films, especially Signs is that everything does have a purpose.  At first it appeared bad that Morgan had asthma, but in the end it saved his life.  Yes, it is horrible that Graham Hess' wife had to die but if she didn't die, Merill would never have come, Graham's wife would never have told him to swing away and the whole family might, or probably would have died.  Therefore, in the end, it was for the better, yes it was a horrible accident, but in the light of later events, a neccesary one.  I hate to say neccesary, I don't want to sound cold or anything, but that's what it was.  Yes, Shyamalan does incorporate many spiritual themes into his movie.  If I remember right, he has a Buddhist background, India and his parents, I think he might have gone to an Episcopalian Elementary school, and then attended a Catholic private school for middle school, and high school.  So spirituality does enter into his films.  Spirituality is also something that permeates everything in this world, beyond what we can see.