What will/should THE HAPPENING sound like?

Author Topic: What will/should THE HAPPENING sound like?  (Read 11676 times)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
What will/should THE HAPPENING sound like?
« on: November 07, 2007, 09:03:08 PM »
The first thing that comes to mind is something similar to Signs, but I hope JNH really surprises us with the direction he takes with this score.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
Re: What will/should THE HAPPENING sound like?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 09:33:38 AM »
I'm thinking it should be something deeper, more horns and lower strings at the start.  Then when you first start getting hints about what is going on the higher strings, like the violin, and the flute should start to filter in, just a bit, kind've twisting around the main theme.  As the movie progresses that should get stronger and some sort of wind instrument should be used, to kind've represent life going out of things.  Then as you are reaching the climax, everything goes full blown and you have the deep clashing against higher strings of the environment as they battle and everyone is trying to survive.  Those are  my thoughts about what it should sound like.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 09:54:47 AM »
Interesting thoughts.

I hope he adds in some weird sounds/textures instead of using just a traditional orchestra (i.e. the cool bass recorders in The Village)

I am thinking there might be some sort of love theme that is augmented, or broken sounding. Also maybe a really cool theme that represents "nature", and one that represents "man".

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 03:00:34 PM »
That sound good, but I also hope he adds in some creepy stuff.  Sounds that are kind've on the edge, music that makes you feel edgy, unsure, unsettling.  Not neccesarily ghost kind've creepy but something that makes you not sure of what to expect, something slightly insidious.  On the subject of the love theme, that could be really good, James Newton Howard is really good at the beautiful, emotional, personal music so that could turn out really well.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 01:43:31 AM »
I'm sure Night already squeezed some main themes out of James a couple months ago, but by the way things go, James should be getting ready to start the bulk of the work for this film soon.

I'm just as excited about hearing the score as I am for seeing the movie!

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 02:24:36 AM »
Whatever it sounds like, it has a lot to live up to. One thing EVERYONE could agree on--including the critics--is that the musical scores for all of Nights films are great--including the disappointments.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 09:39:18 AM »
Yea, they are some of the best soundtracks in my collection.  Superb.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 03:15:12 PM »
I think that it should combine the best elements of the last three soundtracks....

It should feature a strong "scary" theme like Signs has, that's very distinct and memorable....

It should have the understated beauty and mysterious airiness of The Village, which would work well for a movie dealing with the elements of nature....

And it should feature the depth of thematic complexity and variation that LITW brings, which plays so well as an entire soundtrack listening experience....

As somebody else mentioned, I'm just about as anxious to hear the soundtrack as see the movie... which is saying a lot!
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 09:18:04 AM »
I agree about waiting for the soundtrack as much as the movie.  But I think that, yes, in some ways it should contain some of the ideas of some of his previous soundtracks, but not too much, it needs to be it's own.  I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out totally different, because Night is sort of coming from a new direction here, James Newton Howard might also.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 10:37:40 AM »
Yeah, when I said for it to be like a combination of the three, I was speaking more stylisticly than actually having music that sounds the same.  Obviously, it will be unique to The Happening, as each of the other movies' scores are.  But I think it will be a further maturation of the JNH/Shymalan sound, much as  LITW was. 
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 09:17:25 AM »
Oh, okay, sorry about that I misread.  I agree, I think the great composers are always maturing in their music, I like listening to their early music and then their latest works and comparing, it's quite fun actually.  ;D

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 12:09:06 AM »
I think Howard could pull of a 'genius' move by using a minimalist hitchcock type approach..

very little music...and just let the scenario scare the audience.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »
You mean something more along the lines of The Sixth Sense.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 01:05:12 PM »
I think that if the movie has somewhat of the same music from the second teaser trailer, it should be fantastic. It may not be Oscar worthy, but I think it fits the movie just right.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 02:40:54 PM »
I saw the trailer, the music from it was great.  I think it could be one of James Newton Howards masterpieces.