What will/should THE HAPPENING sound like?

Author Topic: What will/should THE HAPPENING sound like?  (Read 11260 times)

Wags

• The Happening

Re: What will/should THE HAPPENING sound like?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »
Are we even sure the music from the teaser was JNH?  I mean, the ominous music in the beginning sounds more like him, but the quasi-rock music that plays when Night's name pops up on the trailer doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard by JNH.  But then again, I've only listened to his scores for Night's movies.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 04:54:21 PM »
James score to The Lookout last year used a lot of guitar, acoustic and electric. Good score BTW.  ;)

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 09:45:32 AM »
There is a bunch of his stuff that I still need to check out.  I think it was his music during the trailer.  It had that weight to it that Unbreakable had to it's soundtrack.  It sounded very grand, but sad, and moving, I think it will be his best Night score yet.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 10:22:15 AM »
I was wondering about the music in the trailer as well, but I have a feeling it probably is the score from the film.  If so, it's great, and I'm looking forward to hearing it in it's entirety. 

As for the "quasi-rock" not sounding like JNH, like somebody else here alluded to, remember Unbreakable?  That score's main theme definitely had a strong beat to it! 

Oh man, I can't wait for this film, and this score, on so many levels!  :D
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 09:19:38 PM »
Yea, I think it might have some pulsing similarities to Unbreakable.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 10:12:21 AM »
If is has "scary" music along the lines of The Sixth Sense and Signs, coupled with some driving rhythm like Unbreakable, and the mysterious beauty of The Village and thematic complexity of Lady in the Water....  It'll be perfect!  8)
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
The best part of each soundtrack from his previous films, is what you're saying. ;D

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 02:19:53 PM »
The best part of each soundtrack from his previous films, is what you're saying. ;D

Exactly!  8)

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 09:24:30 AM »
Cool, I mean it certainly, techinically wise would make it his best, there just needs to be something new and fresh to it.

Reflection

• Unbreakable

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 02:36:02 AM »
Didn't one of those "reviews" say the music was horrible??

Am I missing something or is the movie not out at all, would this be insiders, critics "might" make premature reviews on the old script or something, but how could anyone have heard the soundtrack yet?

Just wondering?

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 10:07:48 AM »
If is has "scary" music along the lines of The Sixth Sense and Signs, coupled with some driving rhythm like Unbreakable, and the mysterious beauty of The Village and thematic complexity of Lady in the Water....  It'll be perfect!  8)

Having now heard the score, I can revisit this "wish list" of mine for The Happening score. 

I think the score does have "scary" music on par with The Sixth Sense, though maybe not as strong or interesting as Signs.  It has plenty of bass, though not that driving rhythm like Unbreakable.  Still, it does provide plenty of low end rumblings to give power to the score.  It definitely takes a stab at providing music with "mysterious beauty", providing almost a lullaby sounding piece.  It's not nearly as beautiful or pronounced as The Village, so it fails on that level in my opinion.  There doesn't seem to be the thematic complexity of LITW either, as it's pretty much mood music to provide an unsettling backdrop for a film that will no doubt be unnerving.  At the end of the CD, the music does take on an emotional and even slightly positive tone, but that little glimmer doesn't save it from being a far cry from JNH's best Shyamalan score in my opinion.  A good one, sure.  But a little bit of a let-down, at least to this listener.

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 09:06:58 AM »
Hmm, that's too bad, but I'll wait to make my final decision until I get the soundtrack.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »
Hmm, that's too bad, but I'll wait to make my final decision until I get the soundtrack.

Honestly, unless you're going for the "virgin" experience like those who haven't even watched the trailers, I don't think there's much you're going to lose from purchasing the score in advance of seeing the movie.  I've always done that, and don't think there's really any downside to it.  I certainly don't know anything more about the movie than I ever did just from having listened to The Happening score.  Well, I guess I know this is not going to be a "feel good" movie in the least, but I already figured that would be the case as well.  It's certainly put me in a mood to see the movie though (as if that wasn't already the case)!   

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 08:57:53 AM »
Allright, then maybe I will get the soundtrack.  Except, when does it come out.  I did just get a new paycheck, so I think I'll go out and buy it.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 09:38:34 AM »
Allright, then maybe I will get the soundtrack.  Except, when does it come out.  I did just get a new paycheck, so I think I'll go out and buy it.

It actually came out last Tuesday, so it should be in stores like Best Buy and the like now.  I would call ahead to make sure though.

I'm a "Signs" person.