Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 178

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 183

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 184

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 220

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 223

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 235

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 250

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 268
Teaser coming soon?

Author Topic: Teaser coming soon?  (Read 36672 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Re: Teaser coming soon?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 09:32:13 PM »
I am not taking it "Rulm" on personal basis. He threw his opinion and I threw mines. And I still disagree with the trailors were misleading. They were perfect trailors. I am the person who always tracks M.Night from day1 shooting till his movie comes to a big screen. From start I knew The Village is a love story, because M.Night wanted always to bring a love story on the big screen.

When I saw the VILLAGE website, I checked out everything in it. I didn't considered it as a HORROR movie. I considered it as a LOVE STORY. Trailors and the site were presented in a very mannerable way and totally justified with the movie.

Lady In The Water is great. I love it. Trailors never had any misleading. Teaser to Official trailor.

But you know what, M.Night is awesome I have all the respect in the world for him. But, I wish I wish Wish LADY IN THE WATER would be in the lake. A man living in a SHACK and there is a lake and narf appears. But too, late I am sure he thought about this as he is a smart writer, but also didn't wanted to recreate  VILLAGE type movie.

Anyways, let me ask you all a question? Actually hold on. Can the webmaster of this forum put a POLL?

DO YOU THINK THE HAPPENING IS A HORROR MOVIE?

Yes
No
I don't care.

To me, its not pure horror flick. Come on, think about JJ ABRAMS - CLOVERFIELD - trailors freak you out, but in the end is a "monster movie"

THE HAPPENING is a classic in the making. Mark my word.

Rohan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 11:30:37 PM »
I don't think it matters whether or not we (the fans) understand what the movie will be about, or whether or not we think it will be a horror movie. That's not what trailers are for. Fox doesn't need to sell this movie to M. Night fans, they need to sell it to the general public. The thing with The Village and Lady in the Water trailers is almost not even an argument, they were most definitely misleading to the average joe movie goer. Not a doubt in my mind.

Oh yea, it's a little early but... Happy Thanksgiving! to those here in the U.S.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:33:00 PM by Dr Malcom Crowe »

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 09:35:51 AM »
the way you can tell that those trailers were misleading is by the publics reaction to the film.  i specifically being in the theater watching it the day it came out and there were a few jerk guys sitting behind me.  about twenty minutes into the film they were like "f**k this [referring to the romance plot they did not expect to see] get back to the monsters"

even as the fan that i am, i was expecting that movie to be much scarier then it was because of the marketing.  of course i didn't mind that it wasn't what i expected, i was going to see a shyamalan film not a gore fest.  but to the other crowd the trailers attracted (this particular group of guys commented when nights name came up "m night shyalaha-lah-an-a-a-a...what the hell sort of a name is that?" so they obviously had never heard of night before or cared to track his films from pre production to screen) they wanted a little less 'wuthering heights' a little more 'saw'.

same goes for lady in the water, even i was a bit upset at how tame it was.  i was expecting it to be creepy and dark from the advertising they used.  actually no, that's not true.  i had learned from the previous experience of the village not to trust anything in the trailers at all.  but trying to look at it from a completely objective viewpoint, which is what a regular person would have, they were misleading.  they set up the film to have much more drama, action, special effects and overall 'scary' moments then it did because they took every moment of the film that fit into those categories and condensed it into the trailer. 

a good example of what i mean is that remake of starsky and hutch that came out a few years ago, i guess it's a bit more then a few years now, i don't really remember anymore.  anyway, that was the only trailer i've ever laughed in, it was really funny.  but when i went to watch it in the movies i realised they had condensed all the jokes of the entire film into the trailer.  all the film corporations care about is getting your money, so of course they will market a movie anyway they feel will get the most bums on seats.  whether that advertising is completely misleading like shyamalan movies or it ruins the movie itself like starsky and hutch.  looking back i guess that was a sort of stupid example to use, but it was the firsat thing that popped into my head!

i'll put my vote in for the poll: i don't care if it's a horror movie, i'll be watching it because of the directors name attatched to it, not to see gore.  i haven't read the script and i don't want to know anything about it before i see it, so really i'm in no place to say if it's a horror movie or not.  i'm assuming none of us are since none of us have actually seen it yet!  whether or not it's a horror movie is completely irrelevant really. 

ok, done with my rant. 
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 03:00:44 PM »
Then lets wait guys for the teaser trailor for THE HAPPENING. It will look likes it creepy. I don't know did you guys saw the same trailors for THE VILLAGE AND LADY IN THE WATER that I did. They never looked freaky to me.

Trust me, I have heard lots of jerks in theatre talking #@!* about M.Night. Let me tell you all a story which is true. I went to watch I,ROBOT and they showed THE VILLAGE TRAILOR in front of I,ROBOT in century theatres.

They showed flashbacks from M.Night's previous classics and then the set of village. Everyone in the theatre was like OOOH,,,looks good. When M.Night shyamalan's name was mentioned, FROM WRITER/DIRECTOR M.Night Shyamalan. So these two guys about in 30s actually started making fun of M.Night, oh look at this jerk comes again with an stupid movie. I was pissed, I didn't said anything. But a white lady with her husband in her 40s sitting like two seats next to me, turned and said to guys.  PLEASE DON'T SAY THAT, HE IS NOT A JERK. HE IS A WRITER/DIRECTOR WITH ORIGINAL STORIES THAT CONTAINS NO SEX, AND BRUTAL VIOLENCE. His movies are connected to everyone's lives on earth. The husband calmed his wife and said, its okay its okay. The guys apologized. And after 20s minutes they left the movie. TRUTH HURTS.

The Village is a classic, I got spooked from the village. And all the people in theatre while I was the village seemed very interested to the plot. The moment IVY came back to Luscious, end credits rolled, people applaude. CLAP their hands and me as well.

Lady in the water had too many kids when I went to watch. It had scary jumps that made you jump. I never went to watch Lady by thinking that its a horror movie.

People think wrong when they see "M.Night Shyamalan's" name. They think his movie is a SCARY and horror. That's why M.Night requested from studios not to mention his previous works in his any new trailor.

And M.Night's career will not be over. Someone I heard or read stating that M.Night's career will be over the THE HAPPENING doesn't work.

Rohan

Unbroken

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 03:40:10 PM »
Even if The Happening doesn't work out he's still got an entire trilogy to make after that. The Avatar creators are very pleased with what he's got so far, and there will be quite a crowd when it comes out.

Think about it; Night's fanbase PLUS the Avatar fanbase! And other people too.

His career is far from over. He's just gotten started. Some people just dislike him a lot, and it's wishful thinking on their part when they try to predict his future without looking at the things he still has ready to do, and that other significant people are in on with him too. They need to look past their own dislike and look closer at the facts.

--- I see dead people ---

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 03:59:32 PM »
By the way, excellent posts, this is a great board and I check it each time I come on.  I think one thing people are mixing up is what defines horror.  I think there are two types, there is horror-like ring, grudge, just scary stuff, and then there is slasher-stuff like saw, hostel, just films where lots of blood and gore fly.  Shyamalan is going to direct a horror film, not slasher, there will be violence, yes, but that won't be the point of the film.  Yes, Shyamalan is setting up films for the future so he should be good.  It wont be the end of his career.  That's one of my problems with slasher flicks and movies like that, they ruin people's sense of art.  I don't want to attack their decisions and art is dependent upon your viewpoint but those films cauterize people.  Hollywood makes movies, they are considered art, so people view them that way, but the are all about the flash, bang, blood, explosions.  People then watch a movie like Shyamalan's and think, man, that's boring, but his movies are the movies that stick with, you can study them, analyze them, feel emotion for the characters, their decisions, the movie sticks with you.  There, you have it, my rant. 
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 09:49:07 PM »
By the way, excellent posts, this is a great board and I check it each time I come on.  I think one thing people are mixing up is what defines horror.  I think there are two types, there is horror-like ring, grudge, just scary stuff, and then there is slasher-stuff like saw, hostel, just films where lots of blood and gore fly.  Shyamalan is going to direct a horror film, not slasher, there will be violence, yes, but that won't be the point of the film.  Yes, Shyamalan is setting up films for the future so he should be good.  It wont be the end of his career.  That's one of my problems with slasher flicks and movies like that, they ruin people's sense of art.  I don't want to attack their decisions and art is dependent upon your viewpoint but those films cauterize people.  Hollywood makes movies, they are considered art, so people view them that way, but the are all about the flash, bang, blood, explosions.  People then watch a movie like Shyamalan's and think, man, that's boring, but his movies are the movies that stick with, you can study them, analyze them, feel emotion for the characters, their decisions, the movie sticks with you.  There, you have it, my rant. 

I totally agree with you. M.Night movies not entertaining, but also educative.

Rohan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 10:35:55 PM »
Does anyone care to join me in not watching the trailers when they come out? I'm trying to see if I can go into this movie fresh! C'mon, who has the guts?  ;)

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 10:03:03 AM »
I don't know, maybe give me a few more days to think about it.  But I probably will join you.  I mean, it's not like we need the trailers, we're Shyamalan fans and were going to see it anyways.  Still, I need a day or two to think about it.

Unbroken

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 10:20:36 AM »
I'm sorry but I just couldn't do that... I wish I could but I'm already dying to get a glimpse of the movie.

--- I see dead people ---

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 04:39:37 PM »
I don't know, maybe give me a few more days to think about it.  But I probably will join you.  I mean, it's not like we need the trailers, we're Shyamalan fans and were going to see it anyways.  Still, I need a day or two to think about it.

I've been debating with myself about this too. You made a good point, we're fans, we're gonna see the movie... so why ruin it by watching the trailer?

Trailers nowadays give away way too much information. Just look at the Lady in the Water trailer (not teaser). Large portions of that trailer contain scenes from the last 5 minutes of the film!!! And the 2nd trailer is even worse.
My brain is telling me that watching the trailer for this film, which I know I want to see, doesn't make sense. It will end up damaging the experience I'm gonna have in the theater, and yet for some reason I would I really want to watch one.

I'm gonna try my best to not watch this trailer (and teaser for that matter), and I'd really love to have some partners to join me... we'll be like a support team.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 04:45:48 PM by Dr Malcom Crowe »

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 09:12:17 PM »
I am waiting for the trailor. It's like I can't wait. And also I am looking forward to teaser poster.

Rohan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 01:42:49 PM »

I've been debating with myself about this too. You made a good point, we're fans, we're gonna see the movie... so why ruin it by watching the trailer?

Trailers nowadays give away way too much information. Just look at the Lady in the Water trailer (not teaser). Large portions of that trailer contain scenes from the last 5 minutes of the film!!! And the 2nd trailer is even worse.
My brain is telling me that watching the trailer for this film, which I know I want to see, doesn't make sense. It will end up damaging the experience I'm gonna have in the theater, and yet for some reason I would I really want to watch one.

I'm gonna try my best to not watch this trailer (and teaser for that matter), and I'd really love to have some partners to join me... we'll be like a support team.  ;D

All right, just for the heck of it, I will join, I will probably regret this but I'm going to join you.  I am not going to watch a trailer or teaser before I see the Happening.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »
Yeah? awesome! ;D I don't think this is something we'll regret it once we watch the movie. We'll probably feel left out when the trailer does come out and everyone is talking about, but we won't regret it once we watch the film.

Imagine if we got to see the movie right now... what would it be like to watch the movie this very instant?.... that's what seeing the movie without watching the trailer will be like! I think it will be a much better, and pure, viewing experience.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 03:46:49 PM by Dr Malcom Crowe »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 04:46:50 PM »
Allright, that's two of us crazy people, anyone else care to join.