Favorite Aspect of Shyamalan's Films

Author Topic: Favorite Aspect of Shyamalan's Films  (Read 3210 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Favorite Aspect of Shyamalan's Films
« on: November 24, 2007, 12:07:30 PM »
Keeping up with thes late string of favorites, what are people's favorite aspect of Shyamalan's films.  I'm assuming everyone likes the stories so we'll skip that, but otherwise.  Mine is probably the clarity with which he directs.  Everything is specific, to a point, where the characters move, what is happening in the scene, where the movie is going.  Some of yours might be acting, cinematography (I hope I spelled that right), you know, stuff like that. 
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Unbroken

Re: Favorite Aspect of Shyamalan's Films
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 02:42:09 PM »
Mine is his depiction of humanity. Each character in my mind has a way of representing certain struggles or fears any person can have.

Cole - confused and frightened, trying to make sense of the suffering in our world. He finally realizes the only thing he can do is try to make things better for other people, and finds solace in that.

Dr. Malcom Crowe - trying like Cole to make sense of his own suffering, although he isn't as aware of things as Cole. Like Cole he finds peace in helping those he can (children).

Vincent - someone who FAILS to make sense of suffering, and ultimitely gives up to depsair and ends up harming himself and others because of that.

David Dunn - beaten down, doesn't realize that if he just TRIED to be extraordinary, he could change the world. It's more than a story about a superhero, it's about a NORMAL man becoming the father and husband he aught to be.

Mr. Glass - Like Vincent, loses sight of what is really important when his suffering becomes too great. What's amazing, though, is that aside from his physical condition he is incredibly strong. But despite that he still fails do what's right because of his selfishness.

Graham Hess - once again, a character trying to make sense of suffering, but this time trying to understand the FULL picture. Where he first sees randomness and chaos, he soon finds hope and destiny.

Bo, Morgan, Merril - those with faith, but their faith is under attack as the world spirals out of control. However, they maintain their beliefs that the world is meant for something good and because of that pull eachother through.

The Elders - ONCE AGAIN, people trying to make sense of the world's sufferings, and they come to believe they can run from it. Finally they realize that pain is something we must all live with, but they find peace in that they can still build for something wonderful that can endure.

Lucious and Ivy - interesting characters. There aren't many people in real life like them because most people don't grow up so sheltered. They are, however, perfect depictions of what such people would be like if such a thing were to happen. If mankind were to go back to the beginning, before we came up with all sorts of brilliant ways to lose our innocence. Lucious and Ivy represent innocence trying to survive and understand what Evil is. Lucious has no fear of Evil; he seeks to conquer it. Ivy does fear Evil, but her Love is stronger than her fear, and she prevails because of Love. Interesting moral.

Noah - unlike the other villains, he is not goaded into doing wrong by suffering or fear. He does it of his own free will, pushed by nothing but selfishness. Because of that he changes from an innocent, naive boy to a beast. I've always been impressed by the symbolism of him taking on the mantle of Evil to go harm Ivy. He represents the darkness that anyone is capable of turning themselves over to.

Cleveland Heep and Mr. Leeds - here once again we have the reaccuring theme of men trying to understand the awfulness in our world. They have given up, and they lock themselves away where they hope they won't be able to feel anymore. Then they are given a chance to hope, to believe in something more than themselves. And they take it, risking dissapointment all over again. But they succeed and miracles occur.

Story - not a depiction of humanity, but humanity's need for divine intervention. Still, she has human fears, and a destiny to be fulfilled just like each of us.

The Vessels - ordinary people with there own quirks and whatnot, but each individual one absolutely essential in the grand scheme of things.

That is the principle reason I like Night. His characters are more than just interesting people thrown into an interesting situation. They are embodiments of who we are as humans in a believable world despite the supernatural. Other supernatural thrillers don't achieve this because they lack such groundings.

--- The world moves for love. It kneels before it in awe. ---

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 02:05:41 PM »
I love the fact that almost every scene has a purpose.You know,when you're watching a Shyamalan movie I think you have to focus on every single moment of that movie,because maybe that moment explains you something more about the story.There are very few movies like these,imho.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 10:11:41 PM »
I love the tone of all his movies, that and the scores and the framing.  His movies are experineces, not just movies.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:26:54 PM »
unbroken, you are so right on with that post! it's all about fear and love..every movie.

And i also love the way every shot and every scene and every line is important, and you have to look at everything and watch the movies more than once because they are so jam-packed you just cant absorb everything the first time, and with every new understanding, the movie takes on a new dimension.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:28:44 PM by Namaste »
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Kuzon

• Personal Text
    Me withOUT hair...
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 09:42:42 PM »
I love the general vibe that all his movies give off...
ジャクソン

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »
Yeah, they make you feel a lot more than other movies, and I really love that cerebral feel of Lady In The Water, the coloring, the music, everything.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 03:23:02 AM »
What I love from his movies is how you feel afeter watching them. The effect is like a pill: You take it and after some time it makes its effect in you. That's what happens to me when I see these films: After some time my mind begins to recreate the film and organizes all the ideas that the movie has inside, and then you see the full messagge, it's great sensation, and I just have it with Shyamalan?s movies.

Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 06:02:47 AM »
What I love from his movies is how you feel afeter watching them. The effect is like a pill: You take it and after some time it makes its effect in you. That's what happens to me when I see these films: After some time my mind begins to recreate the film and organizes all the ideas that the movie has inside, and then you see the full messagge, it's great sensation, and I just have it with Shyamalan?s movies.

Yeah,that's a good simile,very appropriate :D
"Welcome to The Cove"

ALF

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 04:18:21 AM »

Yeah,that's a good simile,very appropriate :D

Thank you
Dame Nature moves in Strange Ways