What is it about this movie???

Author Topic: What is it about this movie???  (Read 9444 times)

Rulm

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Twitter
What is it about this movie???
« on: December 22, 2007, 07:32:33 PM »
There is something about The Sixth Sense that just screams superiority over Night's other films. Signs is my personal favorite, but The Sixth Sense has that something extra I can't explain. Maybe it's the control. Maybe it's the acting...I just can't figure it out! Every time I watch it , I'm amazed at what I have just seen...But it's difficult to point out why...My BEST explanation is that it has to be the story itself. And that may be it. I don't know. So what do you guys think? Oh, and, yeah, it may not be your favorite, but just post your opinions.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
Re: What is it about this movie???
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 03:20:26 PM »
It's not my favorite, the difference between my favorites of Shyamalan's films is about 0.0000000001, or something like that.  Anyways, to your point Rulm, yes, the story is superb, I also think it might be the barebones aspect of the film.  It is very simple, everyone can identify with the characters, and there is nothing else to distract you from the film, no action sequences or pointless scenes, just a good all around film.  Those are some of my thoughts, though I will probably have some more soon.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 01:19:21 AM »
I totally understand where you are coming from!  I just stuck it in my dvd player last night and watched it for kicks.  I am BLOWN AWAY EVERYTIME i watch this film!  The sad parts make me sad, everytime.  I always get sucked in and find myself believing the story!  I am always shocked, blown away, baffled and taken back by the ending!  I think, like you said, "its the bare bones."  It's so simple, really easy to follow and you feel for the characters; yet, at the same time its kind of mystifying on on how you believed the lie the whole entire time.  Another thing I noticed was the long takes, very subtle, hardly noticed.  Watch the film again, even start it from where Cole and his mother are talking about Grandma's pendant.  They are such long takes and this draws you in, besides its a tremendous story.  As movie watchers, we are so accumstomed to fast editing and many differnt angles, this film has none of that.  Lot's of slow almost un-noticable dolly shots.  The behind the scene footage is as good as the movie itself!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 02:49:28 AM »
I knew I wasn't the only one who sees it like this! Yeah, I'm gonna' go back and watch it again!

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 12:51:25 PM »
Me too, man Shyamalan is amazing.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 01:07:59 PM »
Yeah!  Post other things that you notice after you watch it again!  Love to hear other people's opinions!
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 12:00:52 PM »
I bet when we watch it there will be so many things we will notice if we just look for them.  Shyamalan's is that type of director.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »
There is something to this film that just feels special. I think it's that somewhat unidentifiable quality that makes this movie a pop-culture icon. It's not something you can set out to do, it just happens I think.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 09:46:25 AM »
Yea, it's very unique, even though it is a ghost story, it's different from the others.  It's very simple and real, with a certain beautiful quality to it.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 09:20:14 PM »
Its wierd, your right, its a ghost story, but it really doesnt scare you.  I mean, yeah it makes you jump like crazy, but it doesnt really scare you like horror movies do.  Everyone is right, there is something about this that just sticks and is something that happens!
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 09:27:53 AM »
It's just a story in it's barest form, not lots of dialogue, just a good story.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »
The dialog in this film is also superb. It feels very natural, and honest. The humor is also very subtle and genuine.

It also helps that the performances across the board are excellent.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 05:49:04 PM »
Yea, Shyamalan always gets good acting for his films.  All of Shyamalan's films always have small bit of dry humor to them that just makes his films that much better, yes the dialogue is superb, very realistic and heartfelt.

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 11:49:44 PM »
I think I'm just the opposite...Sixth Sense (though fun to watch) is not my favorite.  Maybe it's been shown on t.v. so much, you just get tired of it, or maybe it's the one everyone likes and i'm just trying to be different...who knows?

part of it, though, is there are some inconsistencies that bother me a little with this film that aren't apparent in other ones..

my personal favorites are signs and the village.  really great soundtracks too.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 09:46:16 AM »
Oh yes, the soundtrack for The Village is superb, The Sixth Sense is not my favorite of Night's films, though it is right behind the others by an infentecimal percentage.  What inconsistencies bother you MrStone.  I fell the same way though, I usually go against the mainstream in what I like and do.