What is it about this movie???

Author Topic: What is it about this movie???  (Read 9415 times)

MrStone

• LITW

Re: What is it about this movie???
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 12:50:01 PM »
the inconsistencies...some of you might think these are stupid, but nonetheless...

a.  how did malcolm get an appointment with the kid if he's dead?  and yet didnt meet him before...if the kid is the only one who sees him, but didnt meet malcolm...how was the appointment arranged.

b.  cole comes home in one scene and finds malcolm there with his mom.  that completely breaks the rules..he doesnt know he's dead - and no one but cole can see him...how and why did he gain entry to the house? 

Rulm

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 03:17:50 PM »
To answer your questions:

a. The ghosts only see what they want to see. Remember, they are drawn to Cole 'cuz they need his help, but the ghosts don't necessarily know this.

b. He was sitting there. Thinking to himself. He doesn't know he's dead, but Cole does, which is why he doesn't mention him to his mom. And for how he got in...He's a freakin' ghost! LOL!

If you ask me, The Village was waaay more inconsistent then anything in The Sixth Sense. But, again, I'm sure each event could be explained.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 09:20:14 AM »
Nice reply Rulm, yes MrStone, I thought the same things until I saw the special features and thought about it some more.  Rulm, what inconsistencies did you think you found in The Village, just wondering, I might be able to explain a few.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 11:51:53 AM »
Just little things like:

a. How/why in the world would the elders place the costumes under the floorboards in the "bad room" where Noah was being held? How did Noah know they were there?

b. Ivy got a major head start on Noah when she took off for the meds...How did Noah catch up? And why was he in the costume?

There are a few others, but I can't think of them at this moment.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 09:22:34 AM »
Allright, well a. I really don't know, because they had the shed not to be used, where they stored the others, why store one right there? ???  Any help guys.  For the second part, Noah was in the "bad room" so much, relatively speaking, that he had time to explore and find it.  For b. Noah was a very determined person, he gets in the costume and heads after her, he doesn't stop in the night when she does, and he's able to catch up to her.  Why was he in the costume, because he thought everything was one big game, Ivy always talked about the game where they would stand near the woods and wait for "those we do not speak of" to come.  Well Ivy was now in the woods and Noah could chase her.  I don't know if any of these explanations help at all.  Hopefully they do.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 11:53:37 AM »
Well, they kind of make sense...But a lot of it sounds too unreal...I don't know.

Unbroken

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 02:08:15 PM »
Here's my take.

a) The Elders didn't always want to take a trek to the Shed, so they also hid the suits in the houses for convenience sake. As for Noah finding one, Mr_Glass.1's explanation works for me. Noah wasn't unintelligent, he just had learning and articulation issues. Noah was a sneak, and the fact that he visited the woods regularly means he probably saw the "monsters" and figured out they were fakes. It's obvious he knew the whole thing was a hoax, considering he always cracked up when the creatures made noise or invaded the village. To him, it was all a joke.

Eventually, however, this brings him to a much more sinister conclusion: Evil is a joke.

He begins to think there is something funny about swatting younger boys with sticks, handing someone a symbol of evil (the red berries), and takes a peculiar delight in Lucius "getting in trouble."

This leads to question b) Why was Noah in the costume?

Noah wore the monster suit because he was evil. In his bitterness he gave himself over to complete depravity, and put on the creature suit to show his acceptance of the dark side of his soul. He decided to become an animal. He wanted to make Ivy pay for choosing someone else over him, and for rejecting him when he tried to take the life of his rival.

He put on the monster suit as an expression of his condition.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 09:45:21 AM »
I wouldn't go quite that far unbroken, I still think he thought everything was still something of a game, he just didn't quite know how to react.  He still was giving himself over to evil in what he was doing, just not quite as vividly as you describe.

Unbroken

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »
I don't think he was "playing a game".

He knew he was freaking Ivy out of her wits, and he intentionally threw her on the ground.

Not to mention he killed and skinned other peoples' animals, leaving them around the village and hanging them from peoples' houses on the night of his significant others' sister's wedding as a "joke".

He was sick. He was capable of affection and joy, as we see repeatedly, but he had problems. Serious problems.

He might not of meant to kill or seriously injure Ivy, but I'm sure there was nothing funny going on behind the monster mask. He was frustrated and angry, acting out of uncontrolled self-earned anguish. He was behaving like a rabid animal.

That's the way I see it.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »
I mean that's understandable.  I guess I see what you're saying, he was sliding under the radar because of his condition, I think he knew what he was doing but it wasn't deliberately violent at the start, but as the movie progresses he does turn increasingly violent, and then he tries to murder Lucius.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 05:17:52 PM »
I feel very differently about this movie.  I enjoy it, but compared to all the movies that follow, it pales in comparison to how I react to it.  I remember I saw it and I was like "that was pretty cool", but that was it.  Then when Unbreakable came out, I randomly went and saw it.  I freaked out I loved it so much.  One of the best movie going experiences I had up until that point in my life.  I went back and watched The Sixth Sense and still, nothing.  But after I saw Signs I was completely on board with M Night and have completely loved each movie more than the last.  So, I think that I could say "what is it about this movie?" for every movie that followed The Sixth Sense, but not The Sixth Sense itself.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 09:48:47 AM »
I saw Signs first, so I was hooked.  Then I saw The Village, then Unbreakable, then The Sixth Sense, then Lady In The Water.  I have loved each of his movies when I saw them.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 06:26:24 PM »
This movie is more than a movie, it's an experience.  I think it's the atmosphere and the fact that the characters are so honest and vulnerable that makes this movie what it is.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 02:13:07 PM »
Prince111, agreed, I completely agree with you, especially Cole, he seems so incredibly vulnerable so you feel his pain.