The tone of Unbreakable

Author Topic: The tone of Unbreakable  (Read 5285 times)

Rulm

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Twitter
The tone of Unbreakable
« on: December 22, 2007, 07:36:34 PM »
I love this movie...But for some reason I feel depressed when I watch it! The "feel" of Unbreakable is really gloomy. Yeah, this could be because of the story itself, but I just want to know your thoughts about this aspect, just to see if you know what I mean, and if you agree or not.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
Re: The tone of Unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 03:24:03 PM »
Yes, it is dark and gloomy, and also the most likely to happen.  That's part of why it hits home to us, because there are depressed people out looking for a reason as to why they live, there are people out there who do have Osteogenesis Imperfecti.  It has a very gritty feel.  Yes, in one aspect it does have a happy ending because David Dunn and Audrey continue with their marriage, but in another sense it is sad because you've gotten to know and understand Elijah Price, but at the end you learn that one last horrible fact about him, but you also somewhat commiserate with him at the same time.  Yes, he is a murdrer, yes he should go to jail, but, he is a broken man desperate to find in the real world what kept him going as a child, a superhero.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 03:24:33 PM »
Yeah,this movie is very sad from the beginning of it.But I think that this sadness in the very end of the movie become something else..not happiness,of course...maybe sense of accomplishment.The fact is that at the end they both find out what they hoped to: Dunn finds out that his purpose in life is to fight for justice; instead Price realizes that Dunn is a real superhero (Elijah understands this because he sees that Dunn knows about the accident of the train just after they both give their hands each other) and so he knows what is his purpose in life.So I think the end is sad,but also productive in a certain way ;)
Don't know if I've been quite clear ::) ???
"Welcome to The Cove"

Grand_Marquis

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:39:36 PM »
I love the way this film deconstructed the superhero, and its tone was a major factor in that.  It's that desaturated steel gray hue the film lives inside, that seems to bathe all the dirt on the ground in miserable light, forcing you to see what reality looks like.  If a superhero was real, THESE are the 'villians' he would have to face.  It's ugly but it's true.

I sometimes wonder if that's the reason some people don't like this film:  because they don't like to face the truth.  ;)

Orandhite

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 04:23:27 AM »
^ Great post, and very good points.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:51:25 AM »
Yea, a lot of people don't like to face the truth, which is too bad.  I understand what you're saying Marco, about the sense of accomplishment and sadness at the same time.  The movie does have a very dark tone, but I like that, it's actually a lot like the X-Men, but those were my exact thoughts, if a superhero was real this is what it would be like.  That's what Elijah says in the movie, they aren't these great superhumans, just people with a power that is some exageration of themselves.  Though the super strength and invincibility to everything but water is somewhat crazy.  Still I don't mind.

movies

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 12:16:43 AM »
While the overall tone of the movie may seem melancholy, it offers a degree of catharthis.  Shyamalan once again adopts a technique and makes it very much his own.  The film gives off somewhat of a depressing vibe, but upon further examination it is a bit refreshing. 

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 09:26:19 AM »
Well, it's very, "this is life, how are you going to deal with it."  You need to step up and do what is right.  But it is incapsulated in a dark movie.

movies

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 10:58:03 PM »
Great point, the film gives very little closure and therfore each person views it in a different light.  Their is a strong potential for interpretation of the movie which is one of its great factors.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 09:26:27 AM »
I think each of Night's movies have one theme which is interpreted the same way, but then there are lots of little themes which are interpreted differently by each person.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 02:53:35 AM »
I think the tone is pretty gloomy throughout.  I connected with it immediately myself.  This feeling of despair, trying to find your place in the world, trying to feel "right".  But by the end, when David finds his way, and realizes his place, and then makes his son aware if this during the breakfast scene, it becomes so completely satisfying and, I would say, a happy climax.

It takes a wild turn when we find out about Elijah.  It raises an interesting question in conclusion I think, possibly suggesting that, just as someone's place in the world may be to be guardian to others, another's place may be to cause harm?  I don't really like that idea, but it seems if finding your place in the world is a major theme in this film, we can't discount it when we are talking about other characters.  Elijah seems happy to finally know who he is, so it's hard to think otherwise for me.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 09:51:38 AM »
I know what you are saying okokokok, first you get the happy climax, and then he goes and visits Elijah.  The thing is that Elijah wants David to know, otherwise he wouldn't have shaken hands with him.  You know what I mean.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 01:25:10 AM »
I know what you are saying, but I don't think I understand why you are saying it exactly. 

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »
I think Elijah had put himself into so much of a fantasy world that he thought David would allow him to escape so they could have their own superhero story.  Does that make sense.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 01:17:26 PM »
Mr_Glass, do you think that this movie is saying that some people's place in this world is to do harm, or that some people twist what they think is their place in this world and end up doing harm?