"R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS

Author Topic: "R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS  (Read 10331 times)

Lifeordeath1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
"R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS
« on: January 04, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
Ok. 
I know I should know this by now, but I try to stay away from Nights movies until I see an actual trailer in the theater, but does anyone know if his movie is "for sure" rated "R"?  I heard some rumors but wasnt sure.  If so is there a reason?  I also read something about WB wanting it to be more of a scare, true?  Rating doesnt matter because its M. Night, anyone who is in their right mind wouldnt pass this film up!  So anyway, if you have any truth to this insite of mine can you please post!?
Thanks!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 05:03:13 PM by Dr Malcom Crowe »
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Re: "R"- rating?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 02:53:40 PM »
It has not received an official rating from the MPAA yet, but part of the agreement between M. Night and 20th Century Fox (not WB) was to aim for a R rating.

From the original press release in March 07:

[The Happening], which will mark Shyamalan's first R-rated effort, is a paranoid thriller about a family on the run from a natural crisis that presents a large-scale threat to humanity.

One palpable change in the film, Shyamalan said, was the decision to dial up the scare factor, thus inviting the R rating.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 06:49:52 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's gonna' end up an "R". From the script reviews that I've read, there is a lot of disturbing images...Violent ones, as well as some strong language. I, personally, am very excited to see an M. Night, R-rated film. The possibilities for scares are pretty much endless! ;D

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 12:10:31 PM »
Yea, if Shyamalan wants to dial up the scare factor, he can.  The Happening is not officially rated R, it will not be until it goes before the MPAA, then it probably will be R.  Check out the spoiler on a new message board in this section, done right, that scene alone could earn the movie an R.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

afi_village

• LITW

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 11:07:30 PM »
hey, the rating are different here so is "R" 15+?  i'm assuming it's not the 18+ it is here...
OH MY GOD...i was at a placebo concert last night and i was second row standing right in front of brian...then i got steve's drumstick!  HELL YEAH!!!

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 01:39:44 AM »
I'm not sure how the ratings are going to translate through the different systems. R ratings restrict admitting anyone under the age of 17 unless accompanied by parent or guardian. That seems to be like the MA 15+ rating in Australia, with your R 18+ being similar to our NC-17.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 01:41:25 AM by Dr Malcom Crowe »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 06:07:40 PM »
Yea, that is what I was going to say.  I wonder if the film being R will hurt or help Shyamalan.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »
I'm not sure. It puts a limitation on the audience, but I think Fox having him go far the R will probably make Night focus more on creating genuine scares. I didn't find Lady in the Water scary at all, and therefore there were scenes that were pretty much useless for me.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 10:39:15 PM »
You know what I like best about him that is scary?  He does it in the simplest from possible.  It isnt scary at all, but it freaks the heck out of you!  For example, in Signs when the foot sticks out from the cornfield and then moves.  Another example, LITW when you think something is going to step out from behind the closing door, but instead the wolf comes from the oposite direction.  Or LITW where the water spriklers come when you dont expect it!  This one made me jump!  HAHA!  M. Night makes you really tense, he doesnt really scare you.  You know it's not going to be horrific, you just aren't sure what is around the next corner with him.  As far as making The Happening "genuine scary" Im not really sure?  Do you think he will actually make something really bloody or an effect that will make you close your eyes and look away?                 
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 11:47:02 PM »
Well if I was putting things in your words, Lady in the Water didn't make me feel tense either. Don't get me wrong I love the movie, but it falls a bit short on that side of things.

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 11:47:43 PM »
**POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW**

I don't think it's going to be really bloody and graphic, just "disturbing images" or something. Supposedly there's a lot of suicides that take place in the film in very bizarre ways, so we'll see. I heard part of the rating is do to strong language. I can't wait personally. I'm the most excited about Zooey Deschanel.

*Edited by possible spoiler content
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:14:28 AM by Dr Malcom Crowe »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 09:15:10 AM »
I haven't heard anything about the strong language, but as far as violence goes, I have heard that some of the suicides are pretty graphic.  That could easily get it an R rating.  I think it will be scary, also, is it just suicides, or does it also cause people to murder, that was a thought I had and maybe Shyamalan is keeping that part under wraps.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
Re: "R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 11:05:56 PM »
Yep it will be RATED "R".

Rohan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 09:19:41 AM »
Yea, I agree with that, Shyamalan hasn't ever said anything (to my knowledge) that he doesn't do.  I haven't heard anything about the stron language, where are people getting this?

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 02:52:21 AM »
ON THE SUBJECT OF THE RATING THING....

I HEAR MARK WAHLBERG HAD TROUBLE WITH HIS ROLE IN THE FILM DUE TO THE FACT THAT HE HAD TO SAY "GD" A LOT. WAHLBERG BEING A RELIGIOUS MAN NOW.
I PREDICTED THAT NIGHT WOULD CHOOSE, WAHLBERG FOR THE ROLE.....YOU WOULD ALL KNOW THAT IF YOU REMEMBER.(IF NOT LOOK BACK AT CASTING, AND CHECK THE DATES.)
HERES MY PREDICTION FOR THE RATING.

LANGUAGE, DISTURBING IMAGES AND A SCENE OF VIOLENCE.

THATS MOST LIKELY GOING TO BE IT.
ONE THING ABOUT M. NIGHT MOVIES.......THEY DONT HAVE TO HAVE BAD THINGS IN THEM TO THRILL YOU...SO I FIGURE THIS ONE WONT BE THAT FAR OFF FROM THE OTHERS, IN THE WHOLE CONTENT ASPECT.