Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 178

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 183

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 184

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 220

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 223

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 235

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 250

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 268
The Happening-Success or Bust

Author Topic: The Happening-Success or Bust  (Read 17629 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: The Happening-Success or Bust
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2008, 09:34:44 AM »
I have to agree with you Rulm, The Sixth Sense was very under the radar, and then it debuted and people were like wow, this is a great movie, and then word of mouth took over.  I think it's key that The Happening is opening on Friday the 13th, that could get some extra people in, and then let word of mouth take over.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

stagefright

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2008, 10:12:43 PM »
I have to agree with you Rulm, The Sixth Sense was very under the radar, and then it debuted and people were like wow, this is a great movie, and then word of mouth took over.  I think it's key that The Happening is opening on Friday the 13th, that could get some extra people in, and then let word of mouth take over.
I agree. I've always liked it when a movie does well through word of mouth. That's why I don't like seeing so much hype and advance publicity for films--the word-of-mouth energy is gone; people don't generally have much to say to their friends about a mega-hyped movie because everyone already knows what it's about, what the critics think, etc. etc.   

A nice, but low-key, ad campaign and word-of-mouth always seem to draw me to a movie more than scads of publicity. Don't know why. I think it's the fun of feeling like I'm 'discovering' the film myself.

Psychilles

• Signs

• Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2008, 03:13:15 AM »
Does anyone know anything about the length of the film?
I checked, and all of his movies are somewhere between 107 and 111 minutes.. realy strange.. There all equaly as long. I think thats a length that he likes.
I heard George Lucas once say, that he though that a movie shouldn't be longer then 2,5 hours... so he cut's them like that.
That might have a negatif effect on a movie.... who knows.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2008, 09:41:29 AM »
I'm assuming it will be around the length of his previous movies, that would be like Night, all of his movies are very specific.  I prefer longer movies when I go to the theater, but that's just so I feel like I got more for what I paid.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2008, 02:11:26 PM »
I think when it comes to Shyamalan, and his movies, the general audience is going to be less skeptical of him than the production companies were, and they'll eat this up.  Besdies, have you seen how well awful "scary" movies do at the box office?  If this is vintage M.Night, it will open well, get good word of mouth, and probably end up as his 3rd highest grossing film yet.  The "R" rating will hurt that bottom line somewhat, but I am fully expecting that this movie will be a success. 
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2008, 10:03:38 AM »
That's the one thing, I think the R rating will hurt him.  R rated films never do as well as PG-13, for the most part.  I think it will be vintage M. Night and will rejuvinate him and his career.

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2008, 02:24:33 PM »
i disagree.

ive worked in the MOVIE BUSINESS for 3 years now....(cleaning theaters....hahahahahha)
and pg -13 movies don't do half what they used too.

in our time- more and more people want gore and sex and violence and cussing...........more than in the old days.

i think the rating will only help the film sell.

but well just have to see.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2008, 07:53:33 PM »
I am also happy that the theater won't be packed with teenage morons just there because they have nothing better to do. Weed out the pests. With an R rated film there will be a larger amount of mature people in the theater, therefore, less distractions.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2008, 01:25:50 PM »
I def. agree with that last comment!  All those goofy little girls snickering and chatting on their phones.  Im sure there will still be plenty though, since the theaters dont do the best of jobs checking ID, but Im sure there wont be as much.   ;D
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2008, 10:02:38 AM »
I totally agree with Dr Malcom Crowe, still you could get the people who think they know a lot and are just snobs.  My theater does agood job checking ID, I saw three teens get caught trying to get into running scared, they were so mad. ;D