"R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS

Author Topic: "R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS  (Read 10354 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: "R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 10:02:05 AM »
I had thought Mark Whalberg had only had to say GD once in the film, o well, I could very well be wrong.  Thanks for the heads up.  I think The Happening will be R for: Language, disturbing images, some scenes of strong violence.  There is my prediction for the rating.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 02:55:21 PM »
That's interesting.  I didnt know that about Mark W.?  What religion is he, do you know?  I say good for him for standing up for his values!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 11:22:02 PM »
im not really sure what he is...
you are right though, its good to see such a great actor stay true to themselves.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 10:08:12 AM »
Mark Whalberg is Catholic, when I heard about the cursing thing I did some research on him and found out that he is Catholic.  He doesn't have a problem with cursing in movies, as demonstrated by The Departed, only when it involves taking the Lord's name in vain.  Yea, I think it's great that he is standing up for his values.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 11:10:08 AM »
I have more respect for him now.  Not that I didnt before, but seriously, who else would do something like that?  He seems like a really nice guy!
      M. Night Shyamalan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »
I have weird feelings about that whole situation. I think it kinda shows a strength in Marks character, but possibly a weakness in his willingness to commit to a role.

I'd like to see the context in which the words are said. What we know of Night is that he is very specific in what he wants. If he wrote the character that way, I believe Night has a legit reason to why he would say that. I think that Night writes lines for his characters in the belief that these are absolutely the responses the characters he created would give at those exact moments. I think having an internal battle on getting yourself ready to say the words is one thing, as would asking Night to change the line because you feel it is not in that characters nature to say such a thing. But to ask to not say the line as a personal thing is a bit weird for an actor... not a normal person, but as an actor.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 03:59:44 PM »
Interesting.  Yeah, its a touchy subject.  I totally agree with you about how Night writes!  He says them say something for a reason at a certain time. 

I feel that's how the scene with Gibson and Phoenix went when they were sitting in the dark watching the tv.  "Some people see those lights as a miracle, some see them as just pure luck.  Are you one who see those lights as a miracle or luck?"  Phoenix:  "Im a miracle man.  What about you?"  Gibson: "Does it really matter as long as your conforted?" 

You really felt like this was really said at that moment in time.

As far as Mark, I am sure he got to read the script first, so it was his decision.  Night doesnt hire people who dont believe in him or his production, so Im sure something was worked out.  You also have a point about it being another character, like I said, a very touchy subject.
      M. Night Shyamalan

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 02:59:18 AM »
the thing that im most excited for is what he can bring out in his actors and actresses. he always bring emotion out of places that dont seem to carry emotion well.

i cant wait to see mark walhberg truely act his butt off.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 11:37:25 AM »
I think Mark Whalberg will do fine.  Obviously he's continuing with the film and he was willing to say it for the film.  I think he's going to be superb.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 08:50:04 PM »
I think Mark will do fine as well. I am excited as anything to see Zooey Deschanel in this role!

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 06:31:02 PM »
She's good, hey, wasn't she in Elf.  Am I mistaken.  I'm not sure.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 10:31:48 AM »
Your right that is her!  I really wasnt sure where I knew her name from, but yeah your right!  Aaawww man I like her!  It sure helps that she's cute too!  What else has she been in?  I havnt seen her in anything else.
      M. Night Shyamalan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 12:05:24 PM »
Yeah, she was in Elf. FYI, that is her actual singing voice in Elf! Which melts me, lol.

She was in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Surf's Up, Sci-Fi Channel's Tin Man, and Bridge to Terabithia to name some of the better known roles.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 03:29:02 PM »
Yea, yea, that's right.  She is a good actor and a good singer, I think she'll be great for the role.  She seems like the type of actor that would fit well into one of Shyamalan's films.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2008, 04:02:14 PM »
I am interested in seeing her in this role. Everything else I've seen her in has been a little out there. This role seems to be challenging in the sense that the character's conflicts are very real and honest, as opposed to challenging because the character is on a spaceship, or his Dorthy from Wizard of Oz, or has to fall in love with an elf, etc.