"R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS

Author Topic: "R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS  (Read 10070 times)

Lifeordeath1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: "R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2008, 10:29:19 PM »
Good point me as well!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 09:19:57 AM »
Yea, that is a good point Dr Malcom Crowe.  I think all of Shyamalan's roles are challenging.  Which, if you have a good actor, or actress, make the character that much better.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

stagefright

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »
I have weird feelings about that whole situation. I think it kinda shows a strength in Marks character, but possibly a weakness in his willingness to commit to a role.

I'd like to see the context in which the words are said. What we know of Night is that he is very specific in what he wants. If he wrote the character that way, I believe Night has a legit reason to why he would say that. I think that Night writes lines for his characters in the belief that these are absolutely the responses the characters he created would give at those exact moments. I think having an internal battle on getting yourself ready to say the words is one thing, as would asking Night to change the line because you feel it is not in that characters nature to say such a thing. But to ask to not say the line as a personal thing is a bit weird for an actor... not a normal person, but as an actor.

Yeah, I thought concerns about language were pretty weird, too. Personally, I'd rather hear a person swear than watch him/her shoot someone in the head. But maybe it's just me. :)

Anyhoo, I'm more concerned about how much graphic violence "The Happening" will contain than whether it will contain bad language. The thought of seeing the "The Green Effect" (admittedly an early draft) on a jumbo, digital screen scares me, to be honest. I guess I'll have to wait and see what some of you on this board say after you see it, before I decide whether to go. 

So on June 13, please be honest people!! ;D

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008, 06:14:59 PM »
What!?!?  Your not going to see it on opening day!??!?!  Why???
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2008, 10:03:05 PM »
Man o man o man, I am so seeing this movie opening showing, I think I'm going to try and get a group of my friends to go with me also.  Man, I will see this movie, no matter what it takes.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2008, 10:25:51 PM »
If I get lucky this time around, I'll be seeing this thing early. I had a chance to see Lady in the Water early, but scheduling conflicts screwed that all up.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »
Hopefully you can see it early, man that would be so cool for you.  I wish I could, but I'm willing to settle for opening showing at AMC Potomac Mills 18.  ;D

stagefright

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 10:06:45 PM »
What!?!?  Your not going to see it on opening day!??!?!  Why???
Because I'm chicken! The violence in "The Green Effect" was self-inflicted, which is particularly unsettling to me. I work in a job where I see how many suicides there really are, day in and day out in the real world, even in the supposedly upscale 'nice' suburbs, and it's really depressing. Amazing, actually. If as many people died from the flu as die from suicide in any given county in any given week, the media would be in a full-blown "CONTAGIOUS EPIDEMIC!!!" frenzy, and the public would be demanding action. But suicide? Gaaa. No biggie. S*** happens. ... The whole issue just bums me out, and I'm not sure I have what it takes to watch a graphic representation of it. But I like MNS's work, so I probably will go, if people here report good things after seeing it. I liked the poster tons. The colors alone were so appealing. Don't know how to explain it, but it just was a nice-looking poster. Kind of soothing in a strange way, and not at all indicative of the blood bath contained in "The Green Effect." ... So maybe I'm missing something. Maybe watching a bunch of people off themselves in gruesome fashion will be great entertainment. I'll have to wait and see. :-\
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:34:32 PM by stagefright »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 09:59:15 AM »
Hey, I understand what you are saying, and I sympathize with you.  I plan on seeing it opening day, if that happens I will post about it and hopefully you can make up your mind.  I hope you don't mind, but what is your job.  Hopefully The Happening won't be too gruesome.

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 10:12:21 AM »
i've an early version of the script...and the language is fairly clean...just the suicides warrants the rating.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 01:41:22 PM »
Stagefright,I think I can understand what you said.
But I'm sure of one thing about The Happening: no matter how scary it'll be...the final message will be of hope and good feelings,just like any other of his movies ;)
"Welcome to The Cove"

stagefright

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 06:35:49 PM »
Hey, I understand what you are saying, and I sympathize with you.  I plan on seeing it opening day, if that happens I will post about it and hopefully you can make up your mind.  I hope you don't mind, but what is your job.  Hopefully The Happening won't be too gruesome.

Oh, bleccccchhhhh. Please don't make me talk about my day job! It's so mundane and unexciting and unchallenging and flat out cruddy that the very thought of it makes me want to put a lampshade on my hand and dance on a pool table somewhere, anywhere. Let's just say I have to deal with police reports a lot.

:)

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 09:36:39 AM »
Allright, that's good enough.  MrStone, what do you mean by fairly clean, the reason I am wondering is because that is a relative term, I'm going to see it no matter what, but other people might want to know what you mean, hopefully I'm not speaking out of turn.

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2008, 11:44:33 PM »
Allright, that's good enough.  MrStone, what do you mean by fairly clean, the reason I am wondering is because that is a relative term, I'm going to see it no matter what, but other people might want to know what you mean, hopefully I'm not speaking out of turn.

by fairly clean, I mean that i don't remember any f-words, may GD was once or twice and sh** was maybe once or twice.  now, i read an early version...so, i'm sure dialogue has been changed as the actors got a hold of it.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
I am sure looking forward to this movie, and June 13 can't come soon enough.  It stinks that my sister-in-law is getting married the following day, and my wife is a Bridesmaid and making the cake.  So that's created some demands on my time for the 13th.  However, I'm committed to trying to see the movie Opening Day, and am looking at going the first showing of the day with my dad, a fellow Shyamalan fan.  It should be awesome!

As for the rating, I am not bothered at all by the "R" rating for gore or violent content.  That really goes with the territory, though M.Night has always been so good about avoiding being too graphic.  However, one thing I've appreciated about his movies is the lack of much swearing, and I know that is appealing to many others I know as well.  I really hope that trend continues here in The Happening, and that the swearing is not ratcheted up along with the gore.  Maybe some of you don't see the big deal with that, but for many people, including myself, that's a detriment to a movie, and something bothersome.  M.Night doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to put swearing in just for the sake of swearing, so I'm optimistic that it won't be too much different.   
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.