"R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS

Author Topic: "R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS  (Read 10039 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: "R"- rating? *** TOPIC MAY CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2008, 09:25:49 AM »
Allright, thank you very much MrStone.  ;D 8)  I understand what you are saying DILinator, my mom has a problem with cursing in movies, I don't but sometimes it does get annoying when I want to watch a film.  I doubt Night will ratchet up the swearing with the violence, he's never had very much in his films anyways, so I think we're good on that.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »
I'm in the middle of watching "American Gangster" right now, so obviously I can tolerate the swearing alright.  I just prefer it either not be present, or be plenteous.
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2008, 09:49:17 AM »
Okay, that's cool, kind of weird, but hey, how is the film, I heard it was pretty good.  I saw The Departed, which had a lot of cursing, but I would just prefer it not to be there. 

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2008, 02:14:28 PM »
I'm in the middle of watching "American Gangster" right now, so obviously I can tolerate the swearing alright.  I just prefer it either not be present, or be plenteous.

I realized reading this again that it may have been stated in a confusing manner.  I was trying to say that I don't like swearing at all, not that it's ok if it's plenteous! lol.  I think that might have thrown some people.  While I can "take it" so to speak, I don't prefer to hear it, and I honestly don't think it's necessary.  Even in dire circumstances there really isn't a reason people "have to" swear.  So I don't buy the argument that it adds realism.  But I'm not going to refuse to watch a movie with swearing either.

As for American Gangster, it was ok.  Not great, but not bad either.  It was long, especially if you watched the unrated director's cut, which I did.  My wife and I split the movie between two nights.  In the end, you need to watch it knowing: it has gratuitous swearing, gratuitous violence, and most offensive to me personally, gratuitous nudity.  That last part would likely prevent me from watching it again, or really recommending it to anybody, but to each their own.  If that stuff doesn't bother you, then there's a pretty interesting story preformed by two of the greatest actors of our generation.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:17:10 PM by DILinator »
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2008, 07:26:10 PM »
Thats why I never saw American Ganster right for that reason.  Enough said.  Thats another reason I really enjoy Night's movies, he can write very, very well, without all that crap.  Night actually thinks about what he is writing, he just doesnt throw in words for the heck of it.  It's there for a reason.
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2008, 09:20:35 PM »
I think you guys are a little cuckoo  ;)

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2008, 01:47:32 AM »
Oh well then.   ;D
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2008, 02:19:45 AM »
i personally liked american gangster....

i do understand what you are saying though.......

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2008, 09:38:49 AM »
No, that's cool, I agree with DILinator.  I'm cukoo, and I'm proud of it.  I like Lifeordeath1's point.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2008, 12:04:22 PM »
I loved American Gangster. I understand people get turned off be some stuff, heck that's why I won't watch Hostel and other 'torture p0rn' movies.

However, American Gangster is about the drug empire of Frank Lucas, a man who smuggled Heroin into the country from the Far East in the coffins of dead soldiers. It's an excellent story worth seeing IMO, and removing some of the gritter aspects (such as swearing and violence) just wouldn't be doing it justice.

Maybe Night feels that The Happening really needs to be blunt with the degree to which this event is happening for the seriousness and impact of it to be taken seriously. If that is the case, I understand the rating and appreciate it.

Psychilles

• Signs

• Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2008, 04:39:02 AM »
I'm from the netherlands, and I realy don't get the whole nudity part in the u.s. Specificly the part where you see a lot of naked woman on tv, but you can see everything BUT nipples, that's just strange. And the strangest thing is. That if you see that, no one bothers, but when there's a nipple... ooooh nooo!.. nudity!!!  R Rating... and all the fuss

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2008, 09:56:40 AM »
I understand what you are saying Dr Malcom Crowe, and I agree with it.  When history comes into play, such as war movie, or American Gangster I don't have a problem with it.  I'm not going to let little kids watch it, but I will.  Psychilles, I don't know, sometime the rating system over here is so screwed up.