OFF SUBJECT. WHO HAS SEEN DARREN ARNOFSKY'S "THE FOUNTAIN"??

Author Topic: OFF SUBJECT. WHO HAS SEEN DARREN ARNOFSKY'S "THE FOUNTAIN"??  (Read 7674 times)

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
OFF SUBJECT. WHO HAS SEEN DARREN ARNOFSKY'S "THE FOUNTAIN"??
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:01:31 AM »
THAT MOVIE WAS AMAZING.

I WAS JUST WONDERING WHO ELSE HAS SEEN IT?

I FIGURED ID ASK BECAUSE YOU ALL LIKE NIGHT MOVIES, WHICH LETS ME KNOW THAT YOU ALL ARE DEEPER MOVIE GOERS THAN YOUR EVERYDAY FRAT BOY.

IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT.
GO BUY IT.
RIGHT NOW.

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: OFF SUBJECT. WHO HAS SEEN DARREN ARNOFSKY'S "THE FOUNTAIN"??
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:06:17 AM »
Yea, I saw it.  It was really good.  I loved the lighting.  Great, very intriguing story, plus I liked the fact that he stayed with his wife, and then when he lost his wedding ring he made a tatoo in its place.  That was a movie where after I watched it I had to sit for about a half an hour to soak it all in and understand it.  It's really good, everyone, some of you might want to rent it first, it's not everybody's movie, otherwise go out and buy it.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:06:43 PM »
I finally got around to watching this movie last month. It's been sitting in my Netflix que for a while now, and I am so glad I finally watched it.

I love the mood set by the cinematography, music, and direction. Hugh Jackman's performance was excellent IMO. There is some really unique storytelling going on. I would agree that this isn't everybody's type of movie, and it's not something you can watch without using your brain.

I recommend it to people who were at least somewhat intrigued by the trailers.

;D

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »
I have friends who are DA freaks!  I went with them the first day it came out in theaters.  I didnt think I would like it at all, but I really did!  I have been meaning to but it but havnt had the time.  So, I cant really say a lot about it, but one thing I do remember that really sticks out to me, is the part where Hugh Jackman is walking down the street.  It is very golden looking with the street lights and I absolutely loved the way they slowly took out all the "noise" or "Sounds" of the bussiness.  No music, sound, nothing.  Just him walking in his own little world, thinking.  That was truly great!

Thanks for posting this!   ;D
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 11:32:47 PM »
There were so many amazing parts in the movie.
but the one that sticks to me is when he is at his wifes funeral, when he walks away.
and he tells his boss friend that "death is a disease, and theres a cure. and ill find it."

amazing story. acting. lighting. cinematography. direction. and everything else.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:13:30 AM »
Yea, the movie was superb, I like the Darren Aranofsky sets the tone with the lighting and sound.  And yes, the scene where Hugh Jackman is walking alone in his own thoughts in the snow outside the hospital is superb.  The cinematography was excellent, the acting superb, it was so good.   ;D

dekan

• Praying with Anger

• Dekan's Film Watch
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:54:02 AM »
Ohh, The Fountain is such an amazing film. It's one of my top ten favorites of all time.  ;D

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »
Unfortunately it's not one of my top ten, because it falls behind some of my other favorite films, not because I didn't like it.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 02:36:40 PM »
Does anyone else wonder what this film would have been like if the original production 5 years ago wasn't halted?

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 06:36:37 PM »
From the special features I saw, I don't think it would have turned out very well.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 07:14:39 PM »
Clint Mansell posted demos he worked on for The Fountain on his 2nd myspace page. They are a bit different than the direction he ultimately took with the final movie.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 10:51:34 AM »
That's cool I'll have to check that out.  Thanks for the info.

Unbroken

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »
This is the one film I consider equal to Night's own work.

Did anyone else notice the color code/symbolism?

White - Eternal Life/Death.

Black - Death.

Gold - Life.

- SPOILERS -

Izzy always wears White and loves snow because she's ready to die, and has accepted Death; Tom wears Black because he is obsessed with Death and won't accept it. The Gold ring is what binds Tom to his existence; he loses it, and can't get it back until he accepts Death/Eternal Life. When Izzy dies, Tom pushes the doctor against the window, the blinds fall, and White light comes streaming in.

The Conquistador wears Black as he fights the Indians in what I like to call The Valley of the Shadow of Death. When he defeats Death, he comes to the Tree of Life and takes off the Black vest and then wears WHITE. The Queen wears Gold and Black because she symbolizes Life, about to be taken over by Death.

The Future Tom wears Black at first in space. And then - we don't know how - his clothing suddenly changes to White, when he finally accepts Death.

That's the way I interpreted it, but I've only seen it once and I'll have to watch it again soon.

--- The world moves for love. It kneels before it in awe. ---
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:44:17 PM by Unbroken »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 04:42:20 PM »
Huh, you know that had registered in my subconcious but I hadn't ever put it to paper.  I think I agree with you Unbroken, that was well put.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 03:42:58 PM »
Uh oh!  None of you are going to like my other post nominating this movie as the worst movie ever!  ;D

I am very surprised you all liked this movie so much, but I guess if you all liked LITW, then it's a little more plausible.  Still, I don't see what liking M.Night movies has to do with liking The Fountain, which took incoherency and bizarre storytelling to a new high (or low).  Shyamalan's movies are generally speaking not abstract and bizzare, just introspective and unique.  As for The Fountain, I felt like my intelligence had just been reduced for HAVING watched the movie. 

I'm sorry, as a lot of you clearly like it, but I thought this movie was truly horrible, and have done everything in my power to make sure everybody I've talked to since does not watch this movie!  Probably not really the worst movie ever (maybe I'll now nominate Manos: Hands of Fate for that!), but still not something I would compare to any Shyamalan movie other than LITW in a million years!  To each their own though....
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.