Why Didn't Merill Use The Axe

Author Topic: Why Didn't Merill Use The Axe  (Read 15799 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Why Didn't Merill Use The Axe
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:36:23 AM »
When everybody runs down into the basement and Graham is holding the door shut against the aliens Merill is looking for something to wedge against the door.  He eventually finds an axe.  Later they wake up and go upstairs, unarmed after an alien attack, then Merill is forced to use his bat, now for the sake of the story that is better, but why didn't he take the ax up with him.  Now, this is of course all in hindsight after watching the movie several times, and I might have forgotten about the ax if I were in his situation also.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Re: Why Didn't Merill Use The Axe
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:31:34 PM »
I think Merrill not bringing up the axe shows his confidence in the 'all clear'

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 04:31:47 PM »
That's true, I hadn't thought about that.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
I always wondered why he didn't take the axe upstairs with him...Guess it was meant to be...

Orandhite

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 11:09:31 AM »
The film is all about "coincidence".  So, it was "coincidence" that he always swang when playing baseball, it was "coincidence" that he forgot about the axe, and it was "coincidence" that he was stood right by the bat in the living room at that particular time.

It's about the fact that no matter what happens, there is a reason for it, and no matter how small things appear, they can be the most important actions of our lives.

Perhaps if the movie had been about an alien invasion, then yes, it would have made sense within the meaning of the story for him to use the axe.  But because the movie has nothing to do with alien invasion, it didn't make sense within the telling of the story for him to use it.

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:11:06 AM »
Well put.  ;)

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 02:17:42 PM »
That's it, well said.  I agree with you completely, that the movie is not about mere coincedence, but about somebody guiding what is going on in the world.

abby_hess

• Wide Awake

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »
it's never once occurred to me that merrill could have or should have taken the axe upstairs....

i accept most things in movies without questioning, this was obviously something that sailed right over my head!! hahaha
'why can't they get girlfriends?'

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 12:50:28 AM »
The film is all about "coincidence".  So, it was "coincidence" that he always swang when playing baseball, it was "coincidence" that he forgot about the axe, and it was "coincidence" that he was stood right by the bat in the living room at that particular time.

It's about the fact that no matter what happens, there is a reason for it, and no matter how small things appear, they can be the most important actions of our lives.

Perhaps if the movie had been about an alien invasion, then yes, it would have made sense within the meaning of the story for him to use the axe.  But because the movie has nothing to do with alien invasion, it didn't make sense within the telling of the story for him to use it.

Perfect!  Absolute truth!  You have answered the post in its entirerty!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 04:03:25 AM »
I hate to burst any bubbles, but it was just mildly sloppy writing I think.  I remembered a question and answer he did where basically said if he could have thought of something different to block the door with, he would have.  He said he even took out the pick axe sound when it was taken from the door so it wouldn't be focused on. 

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 09:40:18 AM »
Yea, but if he wanted they could have used something different, right?  ???  It was just one of those moments, where I would have been like, "Yea, it's all clear, but I think I'll still take the ax upstairs, just in case."  You know what I mean, still, I like it better how it ended up in the movie.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 04:42:28 PM »
Yea, but if he wanted they could have used something different, right?

Well, he said he couldn't think of anything else for Graham to use to hold the door.  And then in post he tried "sleight of hand" it by taking out the pick axe sound so people wouldn't notice.  Which means it was concern of his which came from not being able to come up with another plan.  It's one of those things in his movies I wish wasn't there so people couldn't nitpick.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 12:26:28 PM »
I never thought about his using it anyway.  He could have used a piece of wood, Im sure he had something like that in the basement.  haha.  Besides, if he would have went upstairs with that pic ax, the movie wouldnt have had any motive for him to "swing away", at least using the baseball bat.
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »
That's true too, it's just one of those things I noticed.  Also, it does give room for people to nitpick.  For the purpose of the storyline it just didn't work also, which is true, also, I just realised, Merrill, sort of killed him, but it was really the water from all the cups Bo left lying around, if he had used an ax it might have killed him without the water.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 01:07:04 PM »
Yes, true.  It makes it a little more tense to.  Your like, what an idiot!  Your going upstairs without a weapon!?  The audience gets nervous then.
      M. Night Shyamalan