Why Didn't Merill Use The Axe

Author Topic: Why Didn't Merill Use The Axe  (Read 16350 times)

Lifeordeath1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: Why Didn't Merill Use The Axe
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 08:55:38 PM »
I dont think that he wrote everything, but I think he might have written a few.  Hitchcock has been known for saying that filming the movie was boring boring for him.  He is so ready, like M. Night, in pre-production that filming is boring to him.
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 01:50:59 PM »
That's interesting, I just love the whole moviemaking process. ;D
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 06:18:16 PM »
This kind of brings up the topic of "why did anyone do anything the way they did in the movie?" And it can all be explained away by "it was meant to be" or "intelligent design" or "somebody wrote the thing and then directed it how he wanted" lol it reminds me of one of my favorite Simpsons quote at a Xena Warrior Princess convention where nerds are all asking her why this or that unexplainable thing happened on sucha and such episode and she said "a wizard did it..whenever something happens that can't be explained, a wizard did it" OKAY?!
It's sort of a Deus ex machina for shyamalan or anyone to include fate or divine intervention in a film to explain away whatever improbabilities might arise in the plot. but hey, he's good at suspending our disbelief and makes a really beautiful story out of it if we dont look too closely. SO just enjoy it.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 03:43:25 PM »
Never thought about that.I think that it can be partially explained by the fact that in a situation like this every human being would be extremely shocked and terrorized: Merrill is motionless when he sees the alien in front him.So in that moment he can't think about the axe.
I agree with the "willing suspension of disbelief" point brought up by Namaste (some things must be accepted in his movies),but I also think that almost everything can be explained somehow.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 04:11:42 PM »
Yeah..in reality most movies out there require a suspension of disbelief..it's not about making reality. It's about capturing real feelings and emotions in an abstract way. I mean look at all the best paintings out there by the best artists..they aren't photographic representations of objects..they are pieces of life expressed in a way that our eyes alone could never capture.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2008, 12:18:24 PM »
Another reason why he didn't take the axe with him upstairs. They listen to the news on the radio that the aliens are leaving. Then, they check the baby monitor/walkie talkie and sounds good enough for both of them that they are safe now and aliens are gone.

Unfortunately for them one of the aliens actually stayed cause its the wounded one and the other groups of aliens won't accept a wounded individual in their ship or whatever.

Its just a coincidence that he was meant to swing away.

Rohan

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2008, 10:39:01 PM »
When everybody runs down into the basement and Graham is holding the door shut against the aliens Merill is looking for something to wedge against the door.  He eventually finds an axe.  Later they wake up and go upstairs, unarmed after an alien attack, then Merill is forced to use his bat, now for the sake of the story that is better, but why didn't he take the ax up with him.  Now, this is of course all in hindsight after watching the movie several times, and I might have forgotten about the ax if I were in his situation also.

Well, it would not have made since when Mr. Gibsons character told him to "swing away," coneecting it to Merril being a former baseball player.  That's why I think he didn't bring the axe upstairs with him and use it.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 12:22:28 AM »

Well, it would not have made since when Mr. Gibsons character told him to "swing away," coneecting it to Merril being a former baseball player.  That's why I think he didn't bring the axe upstairs with him and use it.

well, duhhh.. lol you think shyamalan might have had some idea what was going to happen? ahahahaha

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 01:31:44 PM »
I think it's just one of those things where you are just so focused on the moment you forget what's around you.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2008, 07:24:12 PM »

well, duhhh.. lol you think shyamalan might have had some idea what was going to happen? ahahahaha

Ain't no (Well DUH) if you look at other post in here you just might see why I wrote what I wrote.  LOL 
(Well Duh)  LOL

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2008, 08:18:22 PM »
let me put it in words you can understand:

you are stating something so obvious, that I find it hard to believe you live in the same dimension as the rest of us. Why don't you just point out how it makes so much sense that the narf lives in a pool when the name of the movie is lady in the WATER? wow, now that's writing! it all fits together!! ahahaha
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:23:39 PM by Namaste »

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 12:43:21 PM »
When everybody runs down into the basement and Graham is holding the door shut against the aliens Merill is looking for something to wedge against the door.  He eventually finds an axe.  Later they wake up and go upstairs, unarmed after an alien attack, then Merill is forced to use his bat, now for the sake of the story that is better, but why didn't he take the ax up with him.  Now, this is of course all in hindsight after watching the movie several times, and I might have forgotten about the ax if I were in his situation also.

Look at this post.  If it was so obvious that everyone knew this, then why did Mr. Glass make this thread? 
let me put it in words you can understand:

you are stating something so obvious, that I find it hard to believe you live in the same dimension as the rest of us. Why don't you just point out how it makes so much sense that the narf lives in a pool when the name of the movie is lady in the WATER? wow, now that's writing! it all fits together!! ahahaha

Your post is just so rediculous, think what you want of me, your opinion of me means nothing to no one but yourself...and I'm done with this.  LOL     

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 01:21:12 PM »
Hey guys, keep the agressive posts down, we're starting to assault people's intelligence.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2008, 07:22:32 PM »
Hey guys, keep the agressive posts down, we're starting to assault people's intelligence.

You're right Mr. Glass, but look who started it.  I'm just in here trying to have and give my opinions just like everyone else, I don't need this crap either, so I agree with you and I'm done with it.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2008, 09:33:10 PM »
the baseball bat scene was obviously meant to happen (with all the foreshadowing leading up to it). Basically, MrGlass started the thread to try to explain away a possible fault in the logic of the movie. You can't "reason" that something happened BECAUSE it was foreshadowed.