is this too geeky?

Author Topic: is this too geeky?  (Read 5974 times)

abby_hess

• Wide Awake

is this too geeky?
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:35:24 PM »
well if it is...so be it lol.  but i have wished many times that there was a novel of LITW.  i think that would be so very interesting to read. 
'why can't they get girlfriends?'

Lifeordeath1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: is this too geeky?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:48:05 AM »
To tell you the truth, now... I dont want to diss the movie, but I think it would make a better book.  I would totaly read it!  You could tell so much more and go into great detail!

It would be like LOTR's, so many things were cut out in order to make the movie.  I dont know, thats my opinion.
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:40:08 AM »
That's not geeky at all.  Of course, I think it would be better as a movie still myself.  The simpleness of the story is why.  The story for me is really about Cleveland and not about these creatures and this other world.  I wouldn't want to lose any focus on Cleveland's story if other parts and ideas were expanded.  I appreciate just a glimpse into the narf world much more than knowing too many the details.    It makes it more magical in my opinion.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 09:51:31 AM »
It's not geeky at all.  I would read a novel if there was one, I think it would allow for expansion on the story, and the characters, making the story even richer.  I do like what okokokok said about wanting only a glimpse into the Blue World, not more, because that makes it more magical, I agree with that.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rulm

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »
...I think there's a children's book! I doubt they'll end up making a novel. Though, I will say, It may turn out better since everyone will come out with there own opinions on how all the creatures look...Making it a little less silly.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 03:59:44 AM »
I find it interesting how much interest there is in the creatures and other mystical elements in this film.  For me, everything that was fantastical in this movie (narfs, great eatlon, etc.) was almost like a macguffin. I love all of it, and it's great, but the movie is not about that stuff to me.  It's about Cleveland's story for me.  It's kinda like Batman Begins in a way in that the film was not even really about Batman, but about Bruce Wayne, which is what I like most about that movie.  Hopefully that makes a bit of sense.  I'm more interested in knowing more about Cleveland's past and future than I am about the blue world.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:31:09 PM »
You're right okokokok. That's why I like the film better than the children's book. The book sets up the universe pretty good, but what drives it home is Cleveland's story.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 01:41:38 PM »
Yea, that's true, the Blue World is only the backdrop for Cleveland's history, I had always wondered what happened to his family, in all of Night's other films he always shows what happened to the family, or in the case of The Village he graphically tells you what happened, but in Lady In The Water it is only brushed over.

stagefright

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »
Yea, that's true, the Blue World is only the backdrop for Cleveland's history, I had always wondered what happened to his family, in all of Night's other films he always shows what happened to the family, or in the case of The Village he graphically tells you what happened, but in Lady In The Water it is only brushed over.
Yeah, you're right. I noticed that, too.
My guess is that by writing about a family destroyed by a tragic home invasion in Unbreakable, MNS creatively moved on from 'What happened to the family?' to 'What happened to the survivors of the tragedy?', which led him to Heep's character. ... Just a guess. I know that when I write about certain things enough times I lose interest in them---well, maybe not interest, but energy, I think. So, for instance, I don't write about certain things anymore only because I've processed them and moved on to something else. MNS probably did, too, so now we can only wonder (and wonder and wonder) about what happened to Heep's family. DRAT!! I hate when I have to think too much.  ;D

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »
You know, I never thought about that, you're probably right, because Night always brings something new in and he doesn't like to double up on anything he does.  Nice thought process stagefright.

culturekrazy

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 12:30:37 PM »
I use The Lady in the Water as part of my sophomore English classes (I'm a teacher).  We use it to look at plots in short stories, in a critical way.  I am going to use this film to begin the short story section of my three regular classes for next year.  I think that this film is genius, but it does require close watching.  An audience member cannot be passive in watching M. Night's films. 
I wish that there was a novel that went with the film as well.  Have you tried to find the script?  You might find some interesting insights to the film there. 

G3xmeister

• Wide Awake

• Personal Text
    Villager.
    • Larsson & Nordahl
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 10:04:01 PM »
I'd love a novel of it. They could explore the backstory more.

Actually, two years ago, we got an assignemt in one of my media classes to plan a video game (not actually make one, just plan the levels and such) and I planned an adaptation of LitW. It sounds bad, I know, but I actually managed to find good ways to make it fun to plan without adding to the plot that much . Even got an A on it. Wish I could find those papers...
"Everyone has secrets. Life would be boring without secrets, don't you think?"

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 10:31:06 PM »
Yeah, you're right. I noticed that, too.
My guess is that by writing about a family destroyed by a tragic home invasion in Unbreakable, MNS creatively moved on from 'What happened to the family?' to 'What happened to the survivors of the tragedy?', which led him to Heep's character. ... Just a guess. I know that when I write about certain things enough times I lose interest in them---well, maybe not interest, but energy, I think. So, for instance, I don't write about certain things anymore only because I've processed them and moved on to something else. MNS probably did, too, so now we can only wonder (and wonder and wonder) about what happened to Heep's family. DRAT!! I hate when I have to think too much.  ;D

interesting..there was a home invasion in 6th sense..and in the village..there almost was one in the happening

also, I always like human stories in a fantasy backdrop..it's the best kind of story in my opinion.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 01:52:56 PM »
I have yet to find the script for Lady In The Water, if anybody has a copy, let me know.

Imalshen

• Personal Text
    Originality requires breaking rules-M.N. Shyamalan
    • Crazy Caera's Demented Dreams
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 09:39:21 AM »
Oh I'd love a novel of the movie. I'd written in an essay defending the film against its bad reviews that the movie would probably have had better reception if it had been a novel, then a movie, though I still loved it anyway. Maybe I'll write one myself and post it in the fanfiction/fan art board! lol
There Happen to be Signs in the Village that the Unbreakable Lady in the Water has the Sixth Sense.