Calling all moviemakers

Author Topic: Calling all moviemakers  (Read 9305 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Calling all moviemakers
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:43:37 AM »
Hey, this is a call out to all moviemakers, that includes all the aspects, but in particular scriptwriters.  a couple of us, lifeordeath1, MrStone, and I have had the idea to start a place where writers and other types of filmmakers, can get together and exchange ideas, recieve constructive criticism, that kind of thing.  If anybody else is interested, please post here.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

DILinator

• The Happening

Re: Calling all moviemakers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:13:40 AM »
I write, and make movies, so I'd be interested.  The thing is, I don't have a lot of stuff written right now that I would probably share, but maybe at some point....
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Unbroken

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 10:35:43 AM »
I intend to write novels for a living. When I'm done I hope to make them into films.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 05:42:58 PM »
Yeah come on!  Who else is interested!  I know there are more of you people!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 10:27:16 PM »
Of course I'm in...

just tell me where to sign..

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 09:18:49 AM »
Allright, so far so good, come on people.  I want to see how many people will get in on this.

Ugly Strawberry

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 11:40:18 AM »
Well... I've been writing a script for the past few years, and I intend on directing it one of these days. I plan on writing and directing for a living, so I guess I'm in... :)

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 02:23:23 PM »
I've noticed a lot of people here have an interest in filmmaking, and I don't think it's a coincedence that M.Night fans share that same desire.  I think his films are very inspiring to aspiring filmmakers!
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
Yea, that's a interesting point.  If you all haven't noticed yet, specter put up a new board where we can talk about moviemaking, so that's a start.  Thanks specter.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 09:18:54 PM »
I am always interested in being involved.  I've been making movies on and off for about 10 years, shooting on film and video.  I have never made a feature length movie however.  I have worked in film and video professionally for the last 8 years as well so I may be able to provide information or assistance to anyone who has technical questions, particularly on the post side.  Just curious, what kind of equipment are people shooting and cutting with?

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 01:22:44 PM »
I own a Canon XL1 and GL2.  They are nice cameras, really enjoy them, but if I had my pick for digital, and money was no object, I would def. buy HD.  I absolutely love film, but its just so crazy expensive!  Does M. Night use straight 35mm, or does he shoot some digital?  Anyone know?

Anyway, I have really cheap editing software, Adobe Premiere Elements, doesnt do everything thats in my brain, but, sooner or later I will move on up.  My friend just shot a music video (all green screen) on HD, editing it on Final Cut Pro HD, and is working with Adobe creating a 3D world.  He is really amazing!  I shot a short film and he edited most of it and really made it look better than if I had edited it.  He is very creative!  What do you guys work on?  Or with?
      M. Night Shyamalan

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 02:10:55 PM »
Anything I have shot I have used with rented or borrowed gear.  If I ever get around to shooting my own feature though I would definitely be renting a DVCPro HD camera.  I work with a DP who shoots on the format all the time and it looks really good.  I edit on Final cut and many different versions of Avid.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 03:25:16 PM »
Does M. Night use straight 35mm, or does he shoot some digital?  Anyone know?

I am fairly certain that every film Night has directed was shot on 35mm.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 06:34:19 PM »
Yeah thats what a figured.  Do you happen know if any of The Happening is shot in digital? 
      M. Night Shyamalan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 07:29:02 PM »

Does that answer the question good enough? lol  ;)

I think Night is a bit of a traditionalist. I'm sure once the majority of the industry is digital, and there are enough cinematographers willing to shoot digital, Night will follow suit.