Your crazy undeveloped ideas or inspirations for ideas?

Author Topic: Your crazy undeveloped ideas or inspirations for ideas?  (Read 6493 times)

mamasan

Re: Your crazy undeveloped ideas or inspirations for ideas?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 02:48:48 PM »
Ok, so the script I'm working on primarily now...i've decided to change who the villian is....

argh!

it's clever, but i'm wondering if a little anticipated...or cliche.

anyone ever use Joseph Campbell's "Goddess" concept? I believe that's what it's called.  My 'goddess' in my script is family to one of my main characters who unwittingly gives the 'right direction' for my heroine - but all the while, she thinks she's giving marital advice.  I was kind of proud of the dialogue with that (for a first draft)..

do you guys find dialogue the most challenging aspect of your script?

My background's in playwriting, so dialogue's easiest for me. (Famous last words.) I have more trouble with descriptive elements and keeping the tone even and the plot well-organized and forward-moving, etc.

mamasan

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 02:52:27 PM »
Mamasan, try and get back into the routine, maybe write a short story to get your motor runnig again, then edit, then go to something longer, work your way back in.  Just don't give up hope, keep going.

Thanks for the advice, Mr. Glass. It's surprising to me that after all these years, having worked as a writer for-just-about-EVER, I still need pretty constant pep talks. Yeesh. Talk about high maintenance.... ::)

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 03:47:05 PM »
Ok, so the script I'm working on primarily now...i've decided to change who the villian is....

argh!

anyone ever use Joseph Campbell's "Goddess" concept? I believe that's what it's called.  My 'goddess' in my script is family to one of my main characters who unwittingly gives the 'right direction' for my heroine - but all the while, she thinks she's giving marital advice.  I was kind of proud of the dialogue with that (for a first draft)..

My background's in playwriting, so dialogue's easiest for me. (Famous last words.) I have more trouble with descriptive elements and keeping the tone even and the plot well-organized and forward-moving, etc.

nice.  maybe when i finish, i'll shoot you a pdf of my script for you to critique my dialogue.

Lifeordeath1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 09:01:12 PM »
I tend to write like a novel, lots of details, trying to show you whatI mean.  Its hard to write just the right amount.
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 02:14:37 PM »
See, I can keep the story going and good description, but getting realistic dialogue is hard for me.  That's what takes up most of my scriptwriting time.  I used to write a few short novels when I was younger, based somewhat upon the Redwall series, don't know if you've heard of it.  I think everyone needs constant pep talks in this business, or hobby, it's not like some jobs where it's the same thing over and over again, you need new creative genius, new ideas, help in the tough parts, and people you can bounce ideas off of.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

mamasan

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 03:30:13 PM »

argh!

nice.  maybe when i finish, i'll shoot you a pdf of my script for you to critique my dialogue.

Sounds good. To thank you for the read, I'll let you stay in one my many homes.  ;D

mamasan

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 03:37:15 PM »
I tend to write like a novel, lots of details, trying to show you whatI mean.  Its hard to write just the right amount.

I know what you mean. I tend to overwrite stage directions when playwriting. I finally realized that what I was doing was trying to direct the play while writing it. One of my profs told me that cutting out the details and stage directions would make the script more interesting to directors, since, well, they want to be the ones to direct. I guess they're kind of funny that way.

When I read "The Green Effect," one thing that impressed me was how concise-yet-descriptive the stage directions were. Loved 'em. (What are stage directions called in screenplays? Am drawing a complete blank.  ::) )

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 03:41:30 PM by mamasan »

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 11:48:43 PM »
See, I can keep the story going and good description, but getting realistic dialogue is hard for me.  That's what takes up most of my scriptwriting time.  I used to write a few short novels when I was younger, based somewhat upon the Redwall series, don't know if you've heard of it.  I think everyone needs constant pep talks in this business, or hobby, it's not like some jobs where it's the same thing over and over again, you need new creative genius, new ideas, help in the tough parts, and people you can bounce ideas off of.

i think you're right.  Maybe that's why so many aspiring screenwriters have read ALL the books on screenwriting.  I know i've read close to 10 and numerous screenplays.  I even took a screenwriting class sponsored by our local library..

honestly, shyamalan's movies are the ones that keep me inspired.  I can watch one of his films and be refreshed on ideas - even tho the refreshing has nothing to do with HIS ideas...

the man has a gift...

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 09:26:54 AM »
See, I always get beat to saying something by someone else.  MrStone took the words out of my mouth.  Night's screenplays are so precise and refreshing, it's a huge boost to my confidence whenever I write.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village