Your crazy undeveloped ideas or inspirations for ideas?

Author Topic: Your crazy undeveloped ideas or inspirations for ideas?  (Read 6721 times)

MrStone

• LITW

Your crazy undeveloped ideas or inspirations for ideas?
« on: February 26, 2008, 12:52:11 AM »
I've had a few that I would love to write, but am just struggling thinking up a unique story to couple to it.

1.  post-apocalyptic tale after a meteorite destroys 98% of earth's life.  nothing of real substance to attach to that.  a) i love the post-apocalyptic setting.  I think it's way more interesting than pre-apocalpytic settings...

2.  I'm toying with an idea of a racist who in the heat of a moment murders a young black boy.  Police never find the killer - never try really - this is a vertical story of character and remorse and how he deals with his guilt.

I'm obviously not mentioning my two babies right now.  one of them came to me in a dream - and is actually very much in the 'shyamalan genre' and the other is the one i'm working on right now.

your ideas?

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: Your crazy undeveloped ideas or inspirations for ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:59:05 AM »
Here's one that I am going to work on next.  A virus of some sort, or something like that, hits earth.  People begin to be affected, whenever they say something, or do something bad, they get small cuts on their bodies, as time progresses and they do more bad things, the cuts get bigger.  When you do something good, the cuts heal.  So eventually, by the end of the film, those who constantly do bad things are falling apart.  It creates panic, and in panic people's worst and best qualities come out, making it worse for some people and better for other people.

My second idea is this:  People's reflections come out to attack them, like when you look in the mirror, all of a sudden your attacked.  My idea for this was someone gets up in the middle of the night and goes to the bathroom, he looks in the mirror and is attacked.

By the way MrStone, that second idea looks really good, a little along the lines of Freedomland, try reading the tell-tale heart, it's a short story by Edgar Allen Poe about a man who murders someone and has to deal with the guilt.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 11:11:05 PM »
Yeah, if you can get a really good actor to pull of that guilt trip, it would prob turn out good.   ;D
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 11:25:21 PM »
Here's one that I am going to work on next.  A virus of some sort, or something like that, hits earth.  People begin to be affected, whenever they say something, or do something bad, they get small cuts on their bodies, as time progresses and they do more bad things, the cuts get bigger.  When you do something good, the cuts heal.  So eventually, by the end of the film, those who constantly do bad things are falling apart.  It creates panic, and in panic people's worst and best qualities come out, making it worse for some people and better for other people.

My second idea is this:  People's reflections come out to attack them, like when you look in the mirror, all of a sudden your attacked.  My idea for this was someone gets up in the middle of the night and goes to the bathroom, he looks in the mirror and is attacked.

By the way MrStone, that second idea looks really good, a little along the lines of Freedomland, try reading the tell-tale heart, it's a short story by Edgar Allen Poe about a man who murders someone and has to deal with the guilt.

your second idea is also pretty good. I 've never thought of anything like that.

when thinking up post-apocalyptic ideas, i always want to think up really unique ways to kill the majority of human life...kind of sadistic isn't it? ;)

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:45:32 AM »
I know how you feel about the sadistic part. ;)  The thing is, you need a good story, that way you can say, "Yes, I did just kill off bunch of people, but here's the reason."  Just don't be like most slasher films, lots of blood, gore, and death, for NO REASON, they just like to see people brutally mutilated.

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:40:07 AM »
I know how you feel about the sadistic part. ;)  The thing is, you need a good story, that way you can say, "Yes, I did just kill off bunch of people, but here's the reason."  Just don't be like most slasher films, lots of blood, gore, and death, for NO REASON, they just like to see people brutally mutilated.
oh, no,...i am not a slasher fan. 

with my post-apoc idea...i imagine a huge meteor - similar to the meteor that had been theorized to have killed the dinosaurs to hit the earth.  scientist who believe in this theory say that the dust sent into the air from the impact blacked out the sun for three to six months - killing off vegetation needed to sustain life..

there are numerous things that happened, but you get the point.

during this time, humans flock to cities where food supplies are high and eventually use up everything.  people turn on themselves for the last few remaining supplies - the sun is still blacked out and vegetation, animal life has died out.  Once the war is over, nearly everyone is dead.  That remnant of survivors sees the day when the dust settles and plant life can begin once again.  They begin a new civilization.

My story begins here - a few weeks later.

Word has spread to the most distant parts of the earth with the few remaining humans that a new civilization has emerged.

One man who lost his wife and child during the famines and wars tries to lead a group of survivors to this civilization before he plans on killing himself.

That's what I got - i developed most of that while writing this.

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 12:40:53 AM »

that's another thing i like about Night..is he doesn't use blood, gore and death for shock value.  its his concepts that are chilling.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 09:50:20 AM »
I agree, Night's concepts are very chilling.  I don't really like apocalyptic stories, but your's takes place afterwards, which sounds cool.  It sounds like it has good character development, action, great scenic shots, and good story.  Looks interesting.
Another movie idea I had, I actually had started writing the script, then shelved it,  A man is hunted by demons, his entire family is killed, and it's how he reacts to what is going on.  It wasn't very good, that's why I shelved it.

mamasan

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »

with my post-apoc idea...i imagine a huge meteor - similar to the meteor that had been theorized to have killed the dinosaurs to hit the earth.  scientist who believe in this theory say that the dust sent into the air from the impact blacked out the sun for three to six months - killing off vegetation needed to sustain life..

during this time, humans flock to cities where food supplies are high and eventually use up everything.  people turn on themselves for the last few remaining supplies - the sun is still blacked out and vegetation, animal life has died out.  Once the war is over, nearly everyone is dead.  That remnant of survivors sees the day when the dust settles and plant life can begin once again.  They begin a new civilization.

Word has spread to the most distant parts of the earth with the few remaining humans that a new civilization has emerged.

One man who lost his wife and child during the famines and wars tries to lead a group of survivors to this civilization before he plans on killing himself.

Your story idea reminds me of an older book ('70s?) called "Lucifer's Hammer." It was about a giant meteor hitting the Earth, but unlike "Armaggedon" and "Deep Impact," it also focuses on What Comes Next--the wars, fuedalism, etc.

Much of the book dealt with how civilization--(or lack thereof in many instances)--reacts and copes after The Big Crash. I loved that part of the book! It had a lot of character development, plot movement, etc., and it interestingly portrayed what type of personalities would 'make it' and which ones wouldn't; how much help people needed just to survive, much less thrive; how people had to work together, and the psychology involved in that process (some people were loners and wary, others were leaders and extremely helpful); how people ended up being mistaken in many instances about what they actually needed to rebuild. (Everyone thought about food, but no one thought about seeds--as in planting a crop in the future, when the canned goods run out and the blankity-blank rain stops. Duh. :) )

Anyhoo, I like your ideas. I have some of my own that I'm struggling with. Took too much time off from writing to deal with life and family, and now have lost my confidence completely. Very frustrating. :-\

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 10:44:14 PM »

Your story idea reminds me of an older book ('70s?) called "Lucifer's Hammer." It was about a giant meteor hitting the Earth, but unlike "Armaggedon" and "Deep Impact," it also focuses on What Comes Next--the wars, fuedalism, etc.

Much of the book dealt with how civilization--(or lack thereof in many instances)--reacts and copes after The Big Crash. I loved that part of the book! It had a lot of character development, plot movement, etc., and it interestingly portrayed what type of personalities would 'make it' and which ones wouldn't; how much help people needed just to survive, much less thrive; how people had to work together, and the psychology involved in that process (some people were loners and wary, others were leaders and extremely helpful); how people ended up being mistaken in many instances about what they actually needed to rebuild. (Everyone thought about food, but no one thought about seeds--as in planting a crop in the future, when the canned goods run out and the blankity-blank rain stops. Duh. :) )

Anyhoo, I like your ideas. I have some of my own that I'm struggling with. Took too much time off from writing to deal with life and family, and now have lost my confidence completely. Very frustrating. :-\

well, thats why we started this group - to support each other.  in case you didn't notice, we're stroking each other's egos at the moment :D  j/k

on a serious note, jump right in...getting back in the routine is the best solution to your lack of confidence.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 11:34:44 PM »
Its insanely hard, but you just have to make yourself sit for a couple of hours instead of doing something else you would rather be doing, like watching an M. Night film.   ;D  Not that's that bad thing.  ;D
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

mamasan

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 09:03:18 AM »

well, thats why we started this group - to support each other.  in case you didn't notice, we're stroking each other's egos at the moment :D  j/k

on a serious note, jump right in...getting back in the routine is the best solution to your lack of confidence.

Yeah, ego gratification can never be underestimated. ;D

I do know what you and lifeordeath1 mean about getting back into the routine. My problem, however, is that my built-in b.s. detector (or whatever Hemingway(?) called it) is on the fritz, so I consider everything I write complete crud--which, of course, it is in the first draft. That's always been part of the fun for me: have total blast writing stinky first draft, then have fun rewriting and finessing it. The problem now is that I've lost faith in my ability to turn out a decent piece of work beyond the first draft. (My internal editor is a sadistic jerk these days.)

[*Warning* *Warning* **Big Ego Alert!!**] In the past, I used to assume I was the Writer of the Century (what self-respecting writer doesn't, eh? ;)), so I didn't fret over the rewriting. But I no longer have confidence in my ability to turn out something professional or meaningful, so I keep going in circles and end up giving up on stories before they've really come to life. *Very* unprofessional, I know.

I think I'm focusing too much on making every piece of writing a reflection of My Life As A Successful Writer. I'll have to try simply writing for the fun of it for a bit, with no expectations of publication/production, etc. So, as you guys indicated, I probably just need to hang in there a little longer.

Thanks for the sounding board and the support. :)

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 09:24:40 AM »
Mamasan, try and get back into the routine, maybe write a short story to get your motor runnig again, then edit, then go to something longer, work your way back in.  Just don't give up hope, keep going.

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 11:29:59 PM »
Ok, so the script I'm working on primarily now...i've decided to change who the villian is....

argh!

it's clever, but i'm wondering if a little anticipated...or cliche.

anyone ever use Joseph Campbell's "Goddess" concept? I believe that's what it's called.  My 'goddess' in my script is family to one of my main characters who unwittingly gives the 'right direction' for my heroine - but all the while, she thinks she's giving marital advice.  I was kind of proud of the dialogue with that (for a first draft)..

do you guys find dialogue the most challenging aspect of your script?

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 02:26:55 PM »
Yes, it is so aggravating at times, you need it to keep the story going, but you want it to be realistic with out too overbearing and consuming.  It's incredibly challenging, if you managed to pull it off for that one scene in your script you mentioned, that is superb.