Google Your Main Character's Name...

Author Topic: Google Your Main Character's Name...  (Read 2778 times)

MrStone

• LITW

Google Your Main Character's Name...
« on: March 02, 2008, 12:29:43 AM »
I thought this would be interesting.  The other discussion on this board about M. Night being on here, brought up the idea of googling your own name.

So, I thought, let's google our main character names.

The script I'm writing now ...main character is Rachel Stone.

let's see what I get...

First option is

http://www.rachelstone.com/

an artist.

wow...i'm underwhelmed.  my rachel stone is a journalist...

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: Google Your Main Character's Name...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 02:19:09 PM »
I didn't get anything, Logan Dawn is my main character, I need to find a new last name, but can't think of anything.  Any help?  ???
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

mamasan

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:40:17 PM »
I thought this would be interesting.  The other discussion on this board about M. Night being on here, brought up the idea of googling your own name.

So, I thought, let's google our main character names.

The script I'm writing now ...main character is Rachel Stone.

let's see what I get...

First option is

http://www.rachelstone.com/

an artist.

wow...i'm underwhelmed.  my rachel stone is a journalist...

Oh, man. I hate giving characters names! It seems like every character name is 'loaded' with meaning, either for me or others. I've even tried going through the phone book to pull out random first and last names.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »
I know, either the names sound too familar, or to weird, and you're like, "What am I going to do." ;)

mamasan

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 09:45:36 AM »
I know, either the names sound too familar, or to weird, and you're like, "What am I going to do." ;)

Exactly! For today's project, I'm going to start by using 'default' names--like Tom, Jim, Susan, Jane. I'll worry about the real names later. Don't want to waste time on finding names, because I don't actually know the characters well enough yet to label them, if you know what I mean.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 09:24:13 AM »
Hey, that's a good idea.  I'm going to do that.  Thanks mamasan.  The only problem with that is, I'm very specific, I like to know what I'm going to do beforehand, not in the middle of things.

mamasan

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:35:19 AM »
Hey, that's a good idea.  I'm going to do that.  Thanks mamasan.  The only problem with that is, I'm very specific, I like to know what I'm going to do beforehand, not in the middle of things.

Yeah, me too. But sometimes exploratory drafts work, too. I've had a couple of plays turn out well after simply writing little monologues or scenes involving a character or two that I'm interested in. One play (a long one-act) started as a rambling monologue by an unnamed guy who ended up being the main character. (Didn't use any of the original monologue.)

For full-length works, though, I really have to know where I'm going with the plot, or at least where I want to go, otherwise I get tangled up in details and machinations along the way. Have had many things die on the vine because I kept rewriting and rewriting, instead of sticking to the plan and working straight through all of the loose threads and plot holes till the first draft was done.

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 12:21:49 AM »

Exactly! For today's project, I'm going to start by using 'default' names--like Tom, Jim, Susan, Jane. I'll worry about the real names later. Don't want to waste time on finding names, because I don't actually know the characters well enough yet to label them, if you know what I mean.

I'm a star wars junkie, so i've seen many of the documentaries that are out there.  I also read a screenwriting book by Skip Press.  He talked about naming your characters and how much thought should go into it.  He also talked about how George Lucas did a really excellent job naming his characaters for Star Wars. 

Examples:

Luke Skywalker - Luke is derived from the latin root meaning Light...
Anakin - I believe its an asian word for warrior

Storm Troopers - were the soldiers who closely protected Adolph Hitler (I believe)
and the list goes on and on.

One thing I did on some earlier scripts is use baby names websites to find out what they mean.  Or on those sites you can search by meaning.

For example, the name Peter comes from the root Petros or Rock...so, someone who has strong foundations...or you can be ironical about it.  Someone who doesn't have strong foundations.  peter parker comes to mind...he's always struggling with whether he is doing the right thing or not.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 09:07:43 AM »
Yes, that makes sense, I think I'll try that.  Thanks for the tip MrStone.  I like to have my names be somewhat original, George Lucas didn't really come up with any new names.