What Films Should Night have directed?

Author Topic: What Films Should Night have directed?  (Read 8260 times)

MrStone

• LITW

What Films Should Night have directed?
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:59:30 PM »
Which films could Night have directed and made them better?

Here are some and why?

Phenomenon - with John Travolta.  This was an okay movie, but could have been a great movie with the theme and science fiction type of material it encounters.  Night's special approach to these films would have made it simply amazing.

Mothman Prophecies - such a disappointing ending.  Maybe Night's re-write could have made this acceptable.

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: What Films Should Night have directed?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:11:10 AM »
Oh man, this is hard.  I'm going to have to think about this one.  I think the first one I can come up with would be King Kong, that movie needed to be more focused, not so erratic.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Unbroken

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:18:41 AM »
A Beautiful Mind. It was directed by Ron Howard, and although it's a great film it could have been absolutely extraordinary if the director had more ambition, and went out on a limb a little more with the emotion, and tried to give it more atmosphere in certain parts. It also should have found a way to condense itself so the feelings of the movie were one solid whole, as opposed to the contrasting feelings that I thought was overdone.

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 02:36:14 PM »
Ace Ventura!!

;D

Seriously,I Am Legend.
"Welcome to The Cove"

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 03:02:11 PM »
Yeah, agreed, I am Legend.
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 11:46:05 PM »
A Beautiful Mind. It was directed by Ron Howard, and although it's a great film it could have been absolutely extraordinary if the director had more ambition, and went out on a limb a little more with the emotion, and tried to give it more atmosphere in certain parts. It also should have found a way to condense itself so the feelings of the movie were one solid whole, as opposed to the contrasting feelings that I thought was overdone.

Ron Howard is in some ways a one-trick dog (or however its said).  Howard had a very disappointing direction with Da Vinci Code...all of his movies have a similar feeling to them...and it's beginning to feel cliched.

I am Legend could have been done very well by Night.

What about a remake of Splash!

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:19:28 AM »
I need to see A Beautiful Mind, I have yet to see it and I've heard it's really good. 

mamasan

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 09:25:08 AM »
I need to see A Beautiful Mind, I have yet to see it and I've heard it's really good. 

It is, but read the book first. The movie's very different, and it's interesting to see the difference between the two. :)

Unbroken

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 01:03:08 PM »
There were some deleted scenes from A Beautiful Mind that I CAN'T BELIEVE Ron Howard took out! I was nearly flabbergasted that he thought he couldn't fit them into the film, or cut some other needless stuff out to find room for them. They might have made the movie 10% better.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »
I liked this movie either way, and thought it was so beautiful to watch, but what about V for Vendeta?  Not sure he could have made it better, because I think its good already, but I think Night would have different spin on it.  What do you think?
      M. Night Shyamalan

Unbroken

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 06:51:16 PM »
V for Vendetta had its twists and turns, but I'm not quite sure how Night would have handled it because it's not really the type of movie he'd do in the first place. I think there are themes and snippets of dialog that relate to Night, but stylistically speaking it's kind of abstracted from him. I'd expect a version done by him to focus almost completely on the relationship of Evey and V, with very little interference from the going on of other characters. He'd also bring out a little more of the humanity in V's nature, which the Wachowski brothers touched upon well but never got deep into.

He'd also make V a little more scary, not by changing his character but by presenting him with a little more "boo" if you know what I mean.

In my opinion V for Vendetta wouldn't be any better off for Night's direction, I don't think it could have been any better artistically speaking.

Now please forgive me for the long winded quote/signature I'm about to use, but I've written it down and remembered the whole thing but I've never had a chance to use it! So please indulge me.

--- Voila! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified! And has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance, a vendetta held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose. ---

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 12:08:49 AM »
V for Vendetta had its twists and turns, but I'm not quite sure how Night would have handled it because it's not really the type of movie he'd do in the first place. I think there are themes and snippets of dialog that relate to Night, but stylistically speaking it's kind of abstracted from him. I'd expect a version done by him to focus almost completely on the relationship of Evey and V, with very little interference from the going on of other characters. He'd also bring out a little more of the humanity in V's nature, which the Wachowski brothers touched upon well but never got deep into.

He'd also make V a little more scary, not by changing his character but by presenting him with a little more "boo" if you know what I mean.

In my opinion V for Vendetta wouldn't be any better off for Night's direction, I don't think it could have been any better artistically speaking.

Now please forgive me for the long winded quote/signature I'm about to use, but I've written it down and remembered the whole thing but I've never had a chance to use it! So please indulge me.

--- Voila! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified! And has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance, a vendetta held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose. ---

Larry and Andy Wachowski are quite the talented duo.  They are excellent writers and good directors.  I think you're right.  I don't think Night could have made it any better, especially since he writes nearly all of his own stuff. 

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 08:30:17 AM »
Interesting signature there Unbroken, where'd you get it.

Unbroken

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 09:39:38 AM »
It's a quote from V for Vendetta.  ;D

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »
I love that quote!   ;D  Thanks for posting it!  Hehe!  I am going to print it out!  Yeah!  Good points as well Unbroken!
      M. Night Shyamalan