Writer's Block

Author Topic: Writer's Block  (Read 17226 times)

MrStone

• LITW

Writer's Block
« on: March 06, 2008, 12:55:49 AM »
How do you deal with it?

I'm really stuck.  I like the story I'm working on, but its closing in on a year and i'm really frustrated because there is a big gap in the story that I have to fill.

From shortly after the end of Act I - about 20 or 30 pages after to the beginning of Act III.  I AM LOST. AGHH.

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: Writer's Block
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:02:39 AM »
That's a hard one.  I will sometimes go to other people for ideas.  I also have a good friend look over what I have written and give me tips.  I listen to lots and lots of music, both regular and tons of soundtrack music, both looking over the script and not.  One other thing I do is just throw ideas out there, that's only if it's the first or second draft, just to try and find something.  I hope this helps.  ;)
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

mamasan

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:07:40 AM »
How do you deal with it?

I'm really stuck.  I like the story I'm working on, but its closing in on a year and i'm really frustrated because there is a big gap in the story that I have to fill.

From shortly after the end of Act I - about 20 or 30 pages after to the beginning of Act III.  I AM LOST. AGHH.

A friend of mine who writes teen books says she jots her potential scenes on index cards and, if she gets stuck, picks out a scene and forces herself to write it. So maybe you could write out possible scenes you'd like to see in the gap (or that need to be there) and then pick one and kind of have fun with it. You can always cut it later, but at least it would get you writing and thinking about how to fill the gap.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 02:16:54 PM »
Thats a good point there Mr. Stone!  I will have to try that sometime!  I would take that and run with it mamasan!  Sounds like good advice!  At least trying it wouldnt hurt ya know?  ;D
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:12:06 PM »
It was a good point.  Sometimes you just have to try to write something out, just slog thorugh it.

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 11:33:42 PM »
It was a good point.  Sometimes you just have to try to write something out, just slog thorugh it.

Which worked a little last night.

I was about to post a two paragraph synopsis for someone to help me brainstorm - but as i was trying to organize it in readable terms - i noticed something.  It hit me like a ton of bricks "SHE HAS TO GO BACK!"  That's the only way the issue can be resolved.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:09:28 AM »
Okay, this is a little weird, but last night I was able two write out two scenes, and I know exactly what's coming up next.

mamasan

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:50:57 AM »
Okay, this is a little weird, but last night I was able two write out two scenes, and I know exactly what's coming up next.

Why is that weird?

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 12:04:14 AM »

Why is that weird?

I guess because we all seemed to break thru the writer's block a little last night.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 11:04:21 AM »
Yea, that's what I was thinking, now, on with the story.  Music is my greatest friend.

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 11:56:36 AM »
Yea, that's what I was thinking, now, on with the story.  Music is my greatest friend.

I think Writer's Block on this story that I have now is recurrent.  I feel like I'm chasing a story, and as soon as I figure out one of the turns, i keep chasing.  I'm also trying to be inventive...and thats really difficult because it also seems like your standard murder-thriller, but its not..

so..anyway...

i'm hoping to submit to American Zoetrope competition in the fall.

Anyone else going to submit for competition?

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 08:10:41 PM »
I agree with Mr. Glass music really helps me out!  Whatever mood I am looking to write I put "that" kind of music on, and it really does help.
      M. Night Shyamalan

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 09:54:26 PM »
I agree with Mr. Glass music really helps me out!  Whatever mood I am looking to write I put "that" kind of music on, and it really does help.

music only puts me in the mood, and helps direct my writing when I'm not blocked.  Writing myself out of potholes and out of corners is what i'm dealing with now.

I heard the Coen brothers say in a Q&A that writing yourself into a corner is NOT a bad thing.  It forces you to be more creative to get yourself out.  Because if you write yourself into a corner and don't know how to get out, then likely your audience won't know how you're going to get out either. 

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »
Thats a good point.  I took up some of the info about writing out ideas when your not sure what to do and it kind of helps.  Actually, this morning I was writing and was stuck, I had to make myself actually think about it.  Litterally.  Somtimes (with me at least) I just want to write and keep it moving without thinking about it.  I dont want to get stuck.  You have to make yourself, stop and just think. 

I hate going over pages I have already written, I go back and read the last few pages to get myself into a groove and a feel for the scene.  When I get back to where I was writting I kind of try to flow into it, but sometimes it doesnt work.  I then proceed to read the last few pages again if need be. 

I also act out my own writting.   ;D  Its kind of fun and get you a feel for the character, even its a girl, no Im not being wierd.

What exactly are you stuck on?  Is it dialogue?  What scene should come next?  Just trying to help out fellow writters block.   ;D
      M. Night Shyamalan

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 05:04:22 PM »
speaking of acting out your script...i found a website called iscript.com where people actually act our parts of your script and record it..and email it back to you.  it's not free, but if you're willing to make the investment, it might be worth it.