My first movie.......

Author Topic: My first movie.......  (Read 3830 times)

the_sorcerer

• The Village

• Email
My first movie.......
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:59:08 AM »
I am an aspiring director and about to go off to film school......I shot a short 30 second film just to have something to compare after I graduate, if anyone wants to check it out its at http://youtube.com/watch?v=G1sXmlIT_Yg

Any support/criticism is greatly appreciated!
Damn! If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima have to put ma dick in tha mashed potatas!

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: My first movie.......
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:07:47 AM »
Uhmm, that was interesting,  :D hahaha.  NO honestly, it was well put together, it just there's not much to say about a thirty second film.  Lots of glass breaking.  It was good though.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:03:31 AM »
Well... yeah, there was no plot what-so-ever.   ???  Didnt make any sense.  There are a few things I did like about it though, the quality was very nice.  Good picture, and very good sound.  Thats really hard to do, and good sound is better than a good picture any day!  So good job!  Oh, and it moved at a really good pace!  It kept moving like something was going to take place, which nothing did, but... whatever. 

The knife in the wall where that guy is running past, was very quick and smooth.   ;D  So considering this was your "first film" i would say you did a very good job!   ;D  If you can make a feature or a decent short just like that with the good pacing, picture, and sound quality, it will turn out very good.   :D 

There is tons of crap out there from people who have gone to film school or havnt, its a lot of worthless stuff, but yours is good!  Keep it up!
By the way, where are you going to film school?
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Unbroken

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 11:22:27 AM »
That was just about as good as a 30 second movie could be! I little more explanation for why it was happening would be nice, but it's still very well done.

the_sorcerer

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 03:03:48 PM »
THANKS EVERYONE!!!! Yeah, nobody got the joke, but it's supposed to be somebody named KIM calling her boyfriend Jimmie's phone, but I entered it into a competition that it had to be 30 seconds long, so basically I had to cut out Jimmy yelling OC "Hey Sarah grab my phone," and I didn't even think to get a reaction shot from her. but yeah I might re-cut it to the full length and post it.

Well... yeah, there was no plot what-so-ever.   ???  Didnt make any sense.  There are a few things I did like about it though, the quality was very nice.  Good picture, and very good sound.  Thats really hard to do, and good sound is better than a good picture any day!  So good job!  Oh, and it moved at a really good pace!  It kept moving like something was going to take place, which nothing did, but... whatever. 

The knife in the wall where that guy is running past, was very quick and smooth.   ;D  So considering this was your "first film" i would say you did a very good job!   ;D  If you can make a feature or a decent short just like that with the good pacing, picture, and sound quality, it will turn out very good.   :D 

There is tons of crap out there from people who have gone to film school or havnt, its a lot of worthless stuff, but yours is good!  Keep it up!
By the way, where are you going to film school?

I'm going to Full Sail in Orlando, FL.  I start April 7th, should be a good time  :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 03:05:30 PM by the_sorcerer »
Damn! If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima have to put ma dick in tha mashed potatas!

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »
Full Sail!  Hope you have a good time there! 

Dont be a stranger here on the ultimate MNightfansite! ;D
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:14:55 PM »
Remember us here at the site.  Good luck with school.  ;)

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:37:53 PM »
I think it's pretty funny.  I had the luxury of reading all the other posts at work today before being able to watch a streamed video. 

HIGH POINTS.  For 30 seconds, it's relatively easy to see what's going on without having it told to you.  I also liked how you arranged the backwards time line.  To see the effect first, and then the cause is also very Shyamalan-like.

LOW POINTS.  The glass was a little overdone.  You spent way too much time of your 30 seconds showing breaking glass.  A thrown glass and the thrown knife could have been sufficient.  Then you could have added in that additional statement from your conversation.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 09:15:17 AM »
I should put some of my stuff up, but the only one available to be put up, the rest are still on tape, is one hour long.  I do agree with MrStone about the glass being slightly overdone, but I especially liked the clothes going out the window.

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 10:57:28 PM »
LOL.  I loved it!  It had a nice plot and story.  Very simple.  A girl is about to kill her boyfriend for cheating on him.  My favorite shot was the girl picking up the knife, then cut to a guy running through the door and panning up to the knife stuck in the wall.  LOL   

dar_katar

• The Happening

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 10:58:47 PM »
Lol that made me smile!  :D

When I was first watching the video I was thinking it was odd, but....cute and funny!  :) (I say cute because the music seemed to add on to that theme ;))

And it reminded me of a very good 30 second commercial!  :D

Good job!
My web to the site yo

http://dtahroamas.deviantart.com/

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 12:07:43 AM »
That was actually pretty good. I enjoyed it a lot. Very creative.

And the lighting was surprisingly good as well.

Incalite

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 08:19:21 PM »
Well, it was well-edited with the music (capturing the lyric: "...crazy..." right when the knife was stabbed into the wall), and you had solid camera angles for each scene. There's really not a whole lot more to say other than the fact that it was great (for a thirty-second piece, that is)!  ;D  Yep... Well, I'm still a Freshman in High School, but I'm preparing to go to LAFS after I get my diploma; hence, I should be making short comedies like these more often!

Sin-super-cerely,

>> .
>> Incalite