Filmmaking Software

Author Topic: Filmmaking Software  (Read 5354 times)

MrStone

• LITW

Filmmaking Software
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:05:01 AM »
What do you use?

I am only a screenwriter, so I use MovieMagic Screenwriter 6.  I know a lot in the industry use Final Draft, but there are a lot of people who use MovieMagic as well.  I also chose it because I'm poor and its significantly cheaper (hey, gotta feed my kids).  But honestly, I outline a lot in Word.  I rarely need screenwriter until i'm ready to actually write it.  I mean, i will spend 6 months outlining, or trying out new premises, or developing characters, twists and endings.

I do enjoy it however.  I know Final Draft has some sister products for AV and video editing, etc.  What are you guys using?

mamasan

Re: Filmmaking Software
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »
What do you use?

I am only a screenwriter, so I use MovieMagic Screenwriter 6.  I know a lot in the industry use Final Draft, but there are a lot of people who use MovieMagic as well.  I also chose it because I'm poor and its significantly cheaper (hey, gotta feed my kids).  But honestly, I outline a lot in Word.  I rarely need screenwriter until i'm ready to actually write it.  I mean, i will spend 6 months outlining, or trying out new premises, or developing characters, twists and endings.

I do enjoy it however.  I know Final Draft has some sister products for AV and video editing, etc.  What are you guys using?

I work in Word, and it drives me crazy! It takes SO LONG to format things that I get completely frustrated. Thanks for the suggestions, MrStone. MovieMagic actually looks like it would work with my Mac. I'm not far enough along on current project to get MovieMagic, but think I'll buy it at some point.

When you say "outlining," how much do you outline?

I'm torn between what format is best for a current project--script, play or book--so it's a pretty messed up first draft so far. Parts of it have lots of internal monologue and description, like a novel. Parts are just dialogue, like a script or play. It's pretty gruesome and slow-going. I'm more accustomed to knowing exactly where I'm going with the story and simply writing and polishing it.... Should I outline? And how do I do that? (Yeesh. I should know this stuff by now.)  ::)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:17:31 AM »
I outline yes, but then I write mostly everything by hand, either that or on word, as a regular script, then I turn it into a screenplay.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 01:30:04 PM »
Im on planning on getting Final Draft, but how much cheaper is the magic software?  And who cares about how cheap it is, your kids are more important, it is def. better than MW!  I have done the same thing and MW takes FOREVER!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 12:03:11 AM »
Im on planning on getting Final Draft, but how much cheaper is the magic software?  And who cares about how cheap it is, your kids are more important, it is def. better than MW!  I have done the same thing and MW takes FOREVER!
I bought my version for 179 online..i think Final Draft runs about 250.  I downloaded and got the backup CD from ScreenStyle.com

check it out, they also sign you up for screenwriting magazines.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 02:48:55 AM »
There is some great free screenwriting software called CELTX if anyone is in need and would rather not pay so much for software.  Lots of professionals use this program.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. ;D

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 11:54:01 AM »
There is some great free screenwriting software called CELTX if anyone is in need and would rather not pay so much for software.  Lots of professionals use this program.

There is also a program called RoughDraft that I used to use which was free.  It formats it perfectly, however, it doesn't separate pages or number them appropriately, but it can be converted to word and will convert seamlessly (it produces rtf)

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »

CELTX  Do you have a link or site for this software?
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 09:57:55 PM »
What do you use?

I work in Word, and it drives me crazy! It takes SO LONG to format things that I get completely frustrated. Thanks for the suggestions, MrStone. MovieMagic actually looks like it would work with my Mac. I'm not far enough along on current project to get MovieMagic, but think I'll buy it at some point.

I'm torn between what format is best for a current project--script, play or book--so it's a pretty messed up first draft so far. Parts of it have lots of internal monologue and description, like a novel. Parts are just dialogue, like a script or play. It's pretty gruesome and slow-going. I'm more accustomed to knowing exactly where I'm going with the story and simply writing and polishing it.... Should I outline? And how do I do that? (Yeesh. I should know this stuff by now.)  ::)

I'm sorry, I don't think I ever answered your question.  I outline quite a bit.  I'm the type of person that needs a very specific, but flexible plan of how to get from Act I to Act III.  I would say for my current project - i've outline a total of 15 - 30 pages.  That's random writing, note jotting, scripting, dialogue writing, structuring..and anything else that helps me figure out who my character is and what they're trying to accomplish. 

I wouldn't say you have to outline, but i recommend you get your thoughts together pretty well before jumping in.

The screenwriter of the Diving Bell and the Butterfly said in a Q&A once that he never outlines.  He approaches his script like an adventure for himself as well - he lets the stories write themselves so to speak.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 03:33:23 PM »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 08:25:47 AM »
Thanks for the link okokokok.  Man, that's scary what the author of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly does, I always need an outline, otherwise I might be in trouble, and wander, or lose my place.

mamasan

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 11:32:45 AM »
What do you use?

I'm sorry, I don't think I ever answered your question.  I outline quite a bit.  I'm the type of person that needs a very specific, but flexible plan of how to get from Act I to Act III.  I would say for my current project - i've outline a total of 15 - 30 pages.  That's random writing, note jotting, scripting, dialogue writing, structuring..and anything else that helps me figure out who my character is and what they're trying to accomplish. 

I wouldn't say you have to outline, but i recommend you get your thoughts together pretty well before jumping in.

The screenwriter of the Diving Bell and the Butterfly said in a Q&A once that he never outlines.  He approaches his script like an adventure for himself as well - he lets the stories write themselves so to speak.

Thanks very much for the info. I've not outlined before, but am giving it a try in certain sections of the story. Obsessing about things over the weekend helped a bit--I can see where I want to go now. But I think I need to hurry and write sections, scenes and outlines to get the rough/first draft done before I lose heart (or lose faith in the story). I'm getting too bogged down in details, and it causes me to doubt the story, my ability to tell it, my writing ability, the state of the planet, and the paint color I chose for the front hallway. A neurotic writer. Original, eh? ;D

Thanks again.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 08:39:30 AM »
Keep up the writing, and don't get disenheartened.  If you need help just come back here, we'll see what we can do.

mamasan

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 09:44:56 AM »
Keep up the writing, and don't get disenheartened.  If you need help just come back here, we'll see what we can do.

Thanks, Mr. Glass! Now off to work I go.:)