Camera and Movie Editing Software

Author Topic: Camera and Movie Editing Software  (Read 2730 times)

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Camera and Movie Editing Software
« on: March 08, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Hey, I was just wondering what type of camera's you people use.  I wan't to find areally good one, and I'm willing to spend about 5000 dollars for it.  Also, what movie editing programs do you use, does anybody know any websites that sell good movie cameras or editing programs.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
Re: Camera and Movie Editing Software
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:29:27 PM »
I have only worked with it once, but the Panasonic DVX (I think it is, it might be HVX) is a really a cool camera.  You can shoot HD or Mini DV.  But since HD is about ready to hault production (all the film industries signed with Sony for Blueray) I wouldnt recomend using the HD since you wont be able to buy any dvd's to burn, but otherwise I thought it was fantastic for Mini dv!   ;D 

As for as software, I would recomend Final Cut Pro, everyone uses Avid, and it is SUPER TOP NOTCH, but you really have to sit and learn it, because it's not like your just going to sit down and begin work.  Not Ceap either.  That is if your looking for fantastic software.  There is also Adobe Premiere, another stong one.  There are tons of cheaper ones on the market.  My friend works with FCP and Adobe After Effects.

You can go to peoples home pages for software and cameras.  Just google the names.  It would probably be cheaper though if you bought it somewhere else.  Hope this helps!   ;D 
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 03:54:58 PM »
If you are looking to buy a camera and spend that much money, I would go to a camera store and actually ask to demo or use the camera, just to see how it feels to you.  I would even suggest renting the one you want to buy for a day just to make sure you like the way it works and you like the picture quality.  That being said, are you interested in shooting HD or SD?  I wouldn't be concerned about the format war that just ended if you want to go HD as you can still make SD downconverts of your HD footage or movies on DVD that look very good, if not better than something shot on SD.  I would be mostly concerned with wether your computer hardware is fast enough to work with HD.

Editorial software, I would go with Avid Express Pro or Final Cut Pro.  Both can cut HD and SD and they're both really good.  My preference is Avid as they have been making editorial software for more years than Apple's Final Cut and are still an industry standard, even if Final cut has taken a big chunk out of their user base.  Avid has also been more stable for me and the program just makes more sense as far as I am concerned, and you can get it for MAC AND PC.  Whatever you do, if you buy the software new, GET THE EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNT!  You can get either of those programs for about 300 dollars if you do, which isn't bad at all.  I think with Final Cut you get additional software as well so that might be the way to go...if you use mac (which I suggest)

Go to DV.com and read their forums.  There are lots of people there who have experience with many cameras.  It's a pretty good resource of info.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 08:29:17 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for your help and information, I will keep looking, but I will definately check these out.

the_sorcerer

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 05:43:41 PM »
Panasonic DVX 100 and Final Cut Pro!!!!! Can't go wrong there!
Damn! If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima have to put ma dick in tha mashed potatas!

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 08:41:54 AM »
Thank you so very much the_sorcerer, every bit of information I can get will help. :)

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 12:13:18 AM »
I only want to spend $250 to $300 on a camera and as little as possible software.  What do I get?

joecartoon131

• Wide Awake

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 08:39:38 AM »
I use the basics. Seeing as how I like to do filmmaking as a hobby, it's also not reasonable for me to spend all that money on hardware and software.

I use a Sony Digital-8 camcorder (about $250) and Windows Movie Maker (free) to edit. Understandably, there is much I cannot do and I'm limited most of the time, but I work around things and still get the best out of what it is I do have.

I suggest getting yourself a MiniDV camcorder and try out Movie Maker (make sure you have an IEEE-1394 interface on both camcorder and PC so you can upload high quality to the computer and back to the tape again). Total cost would put you around $300 (that includes the price of the Firewire IEEE-1394 cord).
Fate Won't Let You Hide Forever

Prince111

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 11:11:45 PM »
I use the basics. Seeing as how I like to do filmmaking as a hobby, it's also not reasonable for me to spend all that money on hardware and software.

I use a Sony Digital-8 camcorder (about $250) and Windows Movie Maker (free) to edit. Understandably, there is much I cannot do and I'm limited most of the time, but I work around things and still get the best out of what it is I do have.

I suggest getting yourself a MiniDV camcorder and try out Movie Maker (make sure you have an IEEE-1394 interface on both camcorder and PC so you can upload high quality to the computer and back to the tape again). Total cost would put you around $300 (that includes the price of the Firewire IEEE-1394 cord).

Cool.  Thank bro!  I want it as a hobby right now until I learn and know what I'm doing.  Right now I practise different shots and angles on my cell phone.  I'll see a scene in a movie and try to copy what they did. LOL  Eventually I do want to send them to film festivals when I get really good at it.

Thanks again.