Praying with Anger ? a big mistake?

Author Topic: Praying with Anger ? a big mistake?  (Read 2760 times)

Carey

• Praying with Anger

Praying with Anger ? a big mistake?
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:07:08 PM »
So, I?m 20 and I just finished my general education requirements at a regular state college? Right now, I'm asking myself the question ? do I move to LA and drop sixteen grand a semester on film school, OR take the money and do like Night did and shoot an independent film instead. I have a script that I like, but should I jump the gun? I mean, I think Night got burned on Praying With Anger. That?s why he refuses to talk about it, right? And he was 22 when he shot it? Which makes me think his youthful exuberance was harmful? Should I just accept that at age 20 I shouldn?t be risking a lot on my creative abilities ? or, do I go for it?

Is it a good idea to say: 'screw film school because I?m plenty good right now'...? I?m mean if I shoot a film and it sucks then I?ll be up a real creek?  I will not be able to go to film school.

What?d you think? Any experience with this type of thing? You think it was hard on Night shooting a film that he now hates? I mean, it probably made him grow as a filmmaker, but if he could do it over again would he?

MrStone

• LITW

Re: Praying with Anger ? a big mistake?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:15:45 AM »
go to film school - the networking you get there will be far greater reward than the likely loss you take by just shooting your own script right now.

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 08:38:10 AM »
I don't have personal experience, I just know I plan on going to film school, because of the network, the extra knowledge i can get, and the training.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:47:49 AM »
I have worked on a few feature films shot here in St. Louis with some decent names attatched.  I have talked to a lot of the crew about what they thought about going to college and getting a degree in Film production.  Half of the people told me "NO!  Its totally a waste of time!  Not worth it!  I already knew everything they taught me!"  Then the other half said "I learned some things, but the most I got out of it was the connections.  People I have met in school hire me or recomend me to others."

My opinion is just like the others, go to some kind of college, you will have something to show for it, like some sort of degree instead of just a film.  YOu will also learn other things you didnt know. 

Mr. Stone is correct the networking will be worth the investment.  I wouldnt just jump into any film school though just becuase its in LA or NY.  Really re-search them out.  You might find yourself not wanting to go to a "film" school, instead you might want to go to a college film program.  Whatever you choose, try to make the best decission.   ;D  Have Fun with it where ever you go!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Carey

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:01:44 PM »
Hey, Lifeordeath1 ? I?m from Springfield, MO. Small world. Yes, networking is definitely a bonus and also getting access to LA actors and crew.  Also, good advice Lifeordeath1? It is very important to get a degree in something --  weather it be film or not.  And I think if my script is good then it should be easy to garner support from producers and angel investors.  I shouldn?t need to drain my own money into it.   

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 07:17:10 PM »
The other thing is, I want to become a director, but unless I suddenly have lots of money or write the best movie script ever, I'm going to need to go to college.  However, if I'm looking to become some sort of on the set technician, I might not neccesarily need to go to college because I can get my  experience on the set.  By the way, do you know if films companies do any kind of internship program?  ???

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:00:06 PM »
No Prob Carey!   :o  Yeah that's funny, small world.  Hehe.  Can I ask what your script is about?  Just currious, thats all.  Movie biz is tough, but if you work your butt off non stop and keep the best attitude possible, your name gets out.  Esp. in a smaller town like St. Louis, STL is def a smaller film town, and word spreads quick!  So if you are consistently copping and attitude, no one will hire you. 

Mr. Glass, yeah, I am sure there are film companies that have intern programs, I have seen some, but I think, at least the ones I have seen, the kids were in school or soemthing of that sort. 

I worked with someone here in Missouri that was production manager, he was really cool, and he said his first movie job he worked on was Memiors of a Gesia.  If thats how you spell it.   ;D 
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 08:30:40 AM »
figured you had to be in film school, anyways, thanks for the info Lifeordeath1.  Have you worked on any films that have had a wider release then the St. Louis area.  Also, it's spelled Memoirs of a Geisha. ;)

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 09:45:45 AM »
No, I wish.   ;D  Actually my friend is working on Michael Mann's new film in Chicago.  I cant remember what its called off the top of my head, but its with Christian Bale and Jonny Depp.   ;D  She knew someone and they got her a job working for the wardrobe dept and managing their money.  Shes up their for 6 months of shooting, Yikes!  That is a long time, but I'm sure she doesnt mind. 

The first film I worked on was called Kingshighway, and it stared a couple names you might know, Burt Young, Paulie from the Rockey movies, Edward Furlong, Terrminator, and some other decent names of Waylon Payne, who starred in the newist version of the Jonny Cash movie, Eric Roberts, who played on Heroes and is in the new Batman Movie, and Roma Mafia who plays a lot on Nip Tuck.  And the director's name was Clayne Crawford, who was the lead role as well.  He has been in a few things... yeah, that's all I will say... "Swim Fan"  hint, hint.   ;)

The last one I worked on was called Edgar Allen Poe's Ligeia, based off his short story.  It starred Michael Madsen, Kill Bill movies, Resivor Dogs... again Eric Roberts, Wes Bently, mainly known for American Beauty... also Mackenzie Rosman who played the youngest daughter in 7th Heaven, Christian Campbell, I think she starred in Wild Things.  There is also Kaitlin Doubleday, who hasnt played in much, but was such a sweet nice girl.  She was a lot of fun!  And the last big name was Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, mainly known for his roles in Mortal Combat and the big budget film of Michael Bay Peal Harbor.  He was very cool as well, very soft spoken, and loved to have fun! 

I guess that's it, fun times, and I hope to work on lots more!  Someday I will be working with these people with me directing!   ;D
      M. Night Shyamalan

Carey

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 06:54:34 PM »
It?s easy (for the most part) to get internships. Just ?goolge? the company you wanna work for and apply online. But, be aggressive. Call them, email them, and if you can submit a portfolio not just your resume.  Also, it?s important to be laid back ? they don?t want people who are intense. Last summer I had an interview with DreamWorks Animation working in the editing room on the Bee Movie, but I went with Mozilla Firefox instead. 

Oh, and I?m still working on the script, so it?s a little premature for a logline.

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 08:39:56 PM »
Wow, you can actually email and call those places?  Didnt know that.  How come you didnt intern for Dreamworks?  What is Mozilla Firefox?  Never heard of them.
      M. Night Shyamalan

Carey

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 11:07:02 PM »
It?s a web browser ? I took it because I had so much creative freedom there to do whatever I wanted. It was amazing. But, at DreamWorks I would have been shuffling papers and taking out loans to live in LA.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:14:28 PM by Carey »

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »
Hey, that's cool Lifeordeath1, lot's of experience, sounds like a good time.  Thanks for the info Carey.  That's a big help.  One question, what in the world goes into a portfolio?  ???

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 07:56:01 PM »
Good point there Carey!

Mr. Glass, what kind of portfolio?
      M. Night Shyamalan