Water In Night's Films

Author Topic: Water In Night's Films  (Read 4456 times)

Unbroken

• Futuristic (After Earth)

Re: Water In Night's Films
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 02:32:08 PM »
I was a little disappointed with The Matrix at first. I didn't think it met up to all the hype it had gotten. But I like it better now.

A while ago I was thinking about "water in Night's films" (the original topic of conversation  ;)) and this piece of dialog from Lady in the Water came to mind:

Cleveland: "So how was the movie?"

Mr Farber: "Sucked."

Cleveland: "Oh... what a - what a shame."

Mr Farber: "Characters were walking around saying their thoughts out loud. Who does that? And a typical romance where the couple finally tell each other they love one another in the rain. Why does everyone like to stand around and talk in the rain in movies?"

Cleveland: "Well, maybe it's a metaphor for purification, starting new."

If you think about it, Night's use of water can actually fall into that category in all the movies he uses it symbolically.

In Unbreakable, water is representative of David's weakness; but it also plays another role. When David is pushed into the pool, THAT moment is actually what changes him, not his defeating of the serial killer. It is his conquering of his true bane, water, that makes him into a Hero. In essence, it is a sort of "baptism" that he goes through, and initiates him into the man he was meant to be.

And in Lady in the Water, the ending is directly linked to the conversation between Cleveland and Mr Farber (which I thought was one of the coolest things about Lady in the Water). The movie ends with Cleveland and Story standing in the rain until Story is taken away, but she leaves Cleveland forever changed. His life has meaning now, and he has the hope to carry on. He is a new man.

Also, the narfs, who are basically angelic beings dedicated to the renewing and saving of Mankind, dwell in the element of water.

Now in Signs it's a little different, but it still works out. If you think about the aliens, they are ultimately unredeemable beings, corrupt and inherently nasty. EVIL. And water, being symbolic of purification, will destroy the Evil it encounters. Subsequently the water harms the aliens.

So I'd say that water is fundamentally always meant to be an element symbolic of purification and/or renewal in the majority of M Night Shyamalan's films.

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Re: Water In Night's Films
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 08:07:10 AM »
Hmm, good point Unbroken, hadn't thought about it that way, except for Lady In The Water.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village