The Hand of Fate: Signs soundtrack

Author Topic: The Hand of Fate: Signs soundtrack  (Read 5631 times)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
The Hand of Fate: Signs soundtrack
« on: March 20, 2008, 04:19:16 PM »
I just found out some really interesting information about the bookend to the Signs score. Many of you know The Hand of Fate as the last 2 tracks from the Signs CD, and I'm sure you undoubtedly love them - as do I.

I also bet many of you remember on the Signs DVD, composer James Newton Howard mentioned that writing the cue was "the most difficult getting-it-right process" he's ever been through.

Well... I was listening to a recent interview with JNH where he mentioned that the Hand of Fate cue was re-written 64 times! Holy cow! He said that some of the changes weren't that big, and that some were.  :o No wonder he said it was "the most difficult getting-it-right process".... he has 64 versions of it! lol!

This just solidifies my love for James Newton Howard's music, and proves my point that James is one of the best, hardest working, and most talented film composers ever.

I just adore his dedication, it's truly inspiring.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 04:21:02 PM by Dr Malcom Crowe »

MrStone

• LITW

Re: The Hand of Fate: Signs soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:28:08 PM »
wow. that's more determined than Night himself who rewrites his stories as many as 6 times.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:08:22 AM »
Wow, that's amazing, though really cool.  It shows that James Newton Howard is really dedicated to getting the right sound.  That guy is amazing, he needs to win more awards.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

marco

• Personal Text
    "Look! A circle!" - "Yeah...what's the problem?"
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:48:16 AM »
This proves that JNH is the perfect composer for Night's movies.

MNS + JNH = magic
"Welcome to The Cove"

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »
That is amazing!  That is why he is one of the most wanted composers around!
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:47:30 AM »
He has done so much, just look him up on IMDB, he has a long list.

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »
James Horner used to be my favorite composer, and he still is one of my favorites.  However, I think JNH has become my favorite, because he is much more diverse, and multi-faceted than Horner.  Howard captures every different genre he tackles so well, and created memorable and very functional scores both for the film, and generally speaking, for listening to on soundtrack.  I came up with a little slogan for JNH:

"If life had a soundtrack, James Newton Howard would be the composer!"

I've been purchasing a number of his soundtracks lately, with The Water Horse being the latest I've listened to, and I am Legend on the way.  What little music there was in that movie was very good, and I hear the soundtrack is a great listen on it's own.
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 10:44:27 AM »
I got I Am Legend from the library, that was a really good soundtrack.  Definately a good buy DILinator.  Haven't heard the Water Horse yet, but looks good.  Another good buy is Michael Clayton, I just bought that, and man is it good, definately earned the Academy Award nomination.  I like your little slogan you created.   ;D  I think James Horner is good, he's in what I call the top tier, along with other guys like James Newton Howard, Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, and a couple others.  He's just not the best.

GenPion

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »
The score to Signs is easily one of my favorite scores to any film. James Newton Howard has delivered exceptional scores to all of M. Night's movies but starting with Signs I really feel as though he just completely outdid even himself. The music he created perfectly captured the mood of the film and added additional depth and excitement to what M. Night created. It should have been nominated for Best Original Score the year it came out. Perhaps it should have even won.

Cresmix

• Praying with Anger

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »
The Hand of Fate is one of the most powerful pieces I heard on a score EVER. It ties so damn PERFECT with the film, you cannot imagine this crucial scene without it, it's pure emotion running onto you. My heart tends to jump out of my chest every time I watch the scene or listen to the track.

JNH is an amazing talent. His diversity and ability to not just provide for the voice of the movie but astonish us each time he delivers a new score is something no Oscar could ever cover for and acclaim. He's a true disciple of great maestros like John Williams. His music is always a masterpiece of classical and motion-picture significance.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »
I like how the beat of the music matches the swings of the bat by Merill.