The Critics on this One

Author Topic: The Critics on this One  (Read 6614 times)

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
The Critics on this One
« on: September 19, 2006, 04:52:46 PM »
Lately I've been hearing that The Sixth Sense got bad initial reviews. I'm wondering why? Most people who aren't big fans of his are entranced by it. Does anybody have an old article or review?

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
The Critics on this One
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 05:39:07 PM »
I am shocked, where did you heard or read that.
I haven't seen any review of it yet.
But I think you can find review at  movies.yahoo.com and at the search place type "The Sixth Sense" and you will see some review I believe.

-Rohan

Dr.Hill42

• LITW

• http://www.nate24.blogspot.com
The Critics on this One
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 10:20:11 PM »
Well Night himself said something like "It hurt when The Sixth Sense got bad reviews" and how the critics never really liked him , even for that one.

They say this one has a surprise ending.
~Dr.Hill42

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
The Critics on this One
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 01:38:25 PM »
Can anyone explain it to me, why critics are Night's enemy? What's he done.

-Rohan

auhin

• Praying with Anger

The Critics on this One
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:15:30 PM »
They hate him because M. Night is a brilliant director and artist who happens to be spiritual. He doesn't make movies about global warming or the evils of war or politics.
He writes movies about real people, things everyone experiences, emotion, love, and faith. M. Night doesn't mix controversial messages or try to break down barriers. He reverts to simple concepts like aliens and superheroes, ghost and narfs, and makes them beautiful and complex. The critics hate M. Night because he is a pure genius.

filmguy450

• Praying with Anger

• Email
The Critics on this One
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:50:20 PM »
Quote from: "auhin"
They hate him because M. Night is a brilliant director and artist who happens to be spiritual. He doesn't make movies about global warming or the evils of war or politics.
He writes movies about real people, things everyone experiences, emotion, love, and faith. M. Night doesn't mix controversial messages or try to break down barriers. He reverts to simple concepts like aliens and superheroes, ghost and narfs, and makes them beautiful and complex. The critics hate M. Night because he is a pure genius.

Here, here! My friend, you have said it all.
hat good is it to tell you you are in my every thought from the time I wake?

Critics hate
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 03:50:02 PM »
Well said, excellently put.  You should write a paper on it.

Rulm

• Twitter
Re: The Critics on this One
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 12:03:40 AM »
Why are you all making a big deal out of some bad reviews??? ALL movies get bad reviews. The fact is the vast majority of critics loved this film.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 09:40:32 AM »
That's true, but were all fans of Shyamalan, so we like to get on people who get on Shyamalan.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Lifeordeath1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 01:30:33 AM »

Aboslutely 100% agree with this!  The man is amazing!  No critic wants to hear about faith, they dont want anything to do with it.  They're scared of the word!  Faith: believing in something you can't see or explain.  So what if you can't explain what a narf is, it's supposed to be a bedtime story, something fictional! 
"My biggest fear in life is to be average."
      M. Night Shyamalan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »
Yes, some people don't get that though.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 08:34:01 PM »

Good one, I agree with that.

the_sorcerer

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 12:30:55 PM »
He doesn't make movies about global warming or the evils of war or politics.

Actually he does....the message I got from The Village is how fear and propaganda can be used to control people, much like a commentary on how our post-911 political system is run.  Also, people can debate it however long they want, but you could say that The Happening is a warning about global warming. Just depends on how you see the movie, but he definitely injects modern world mainstream problems into his films, so I really don't think that's the reason that critics don't like him.  I believe the real reason is that, to a LOT of people (not just critics), his movies come off as preachy, pretentious, and self-absorbed, and to the people that come away from the movie with those feelings are very put off by it...I know I personally would be.  Basically, when you put an underlying meaning in a story, you are telling people your opinions on specific topics, and the people that don't agree with your ideals will not even want to listen (people are stubborn).  I personally LOVE Night, and love the stories he tells, so what the critics say means nothing to me.
Damn! If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima have to put ma dick in tha mashed potatas!

Breakable

• Praying with Anger

• Invidious Films
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 09:48:56 PM »
I don't think he meant that as a messege. It was more of a theme, or element to the story, and it relates to our current world. (So it could be saying the Village isn't all that differant from the world it tries to seperate itself from.)
Aliens, monsters, earthquakes, are nothing. We are smart enough to survive any situation. No, no, no... At the end of the day the downfall of humainty will be caused humanity, and humanity alone.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 03:39:51 PM »
All of his movies have underlying, sometimes political messages, but those are all part of the greater picture, which is more about human nature and two people trying to get along.