Night's previous work...

Author Topic: Night's previous work...  (Read 1319 times)

the_sorcerer

• The Village

• Email
Night's previous work...
« on: April 28, 2008, 09:11:49 AM »
I was just curious, but does anyone know if Shyamalan worked as an assistant or anything before directing Wide Awake? I looked on IMDB, they only have the AmEx commercial he did a couple years ago.  It looks like he just got into directing after Praying With Anger, which is kinda strange, and if thats true, kinda sweet!
Damn! If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima have to put ma dick in tha mashed potatas!

Erik

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
Re: Night's previous work...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 10:15:31 AM »
M. Night Shyamalan was making movies with a home video camera when he was young. These movies where very amateuristic and some of his DVD's contain a scene from them.

In 1992 he made 'Praying With Anger' as an independent movie. Afther that, I think he was asked to direct 'Wide Awake' and to write the screenplay for 'Stuart Little'. After those 2 jobs he was finaly ready for the big work (The Sixth Sense). (Those two movies are odd between his other work, so I think he was asked to do them and he said yes to the job)

Night was already directing since he was young, but his real carreer started with Praying With Anger.
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

the_sorcerer

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 10:31:58 AM »
thats cool, yeah i've seen all the movies he made as a kid on the dvds, i was wondering about working after school....I just found it odd that he never worked at a low level on set or anything before directing (at least credited), i just thought that was pretty awesome that even with not having as much experience as normal, studios saw his talent and trusted him to take control of a project that he wrote.
Damn! If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima have to put ma dick in tha mashed potatas!

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 11:01:14 AM »
Night always had the dream of becoming a director. If I got this right, he just started producing and directing Praying With Anger without any experience at studios.
PwA was screened at a film festival where it automaticaly got promoted. This way, other people got to know Night and assigned them to other films.
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:39:23 AM »
Yea, he's a very interesting man, takes a lot of initiative and isn't afraid to take a risk.  I want to see more of his home videos, he made somewhere around 45.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village