The Prestige

Author Topic: The Prestige  (Read 3424 times)

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
The Prestige
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:25:32 PM »
Watched this last night after someone on here reccomended it to me (could have been a few of you) and thought it was pretty good.

Pretty confusing as well. For my tiny brain anyway.

Left me with a lot of questions.

Someone told me it had a "tricky ending" (nice pun btw) and it sure did.

My biggest problem with it is that a large part of it is based on a device that doesn't exist.

If the writers could have worked out a way around that I probably would have liked it more.

And a few times it's pretty predictable (well maybe only once unless you WERE watching closely)

Anyone feel different?

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: The Prestige
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 11:05:39 PM »
Well, if you know about Nicola Tesla, you might believe he created anything. He really did do that lightbulb in the dirt thing with his wireless electricity invention. But he just happened to be unlucky enough to work for Thomas Edison and had all his inventions either bought out smothered or stolen. Edison wantd a way to maintain control over the transmission of electricity and therefore kept it confined to wires.

http://www.pbs.org/tesla/ll/ll_todre.html <== to learn more about Tesla
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:24:35 PM by Namaste »
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Erik

• Personal Text
    d'oh!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:51:46 PM »
If you'd liked The Prestige, you should see Memento. Also directed by Christopher Nolan. I love his movies!
We can breath in space,
they just don't want us to escape...

mamasan

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:11:22 PM »
Watched this last night after someone on here reccomended it to me (could have been a few of you) and thought it was pretty good.

Pretty confusing as well. For my tiny brain anyway.

Left me with a lot of questions.

Someone told me it had a "tricky ending" (nice pun btw) and it sure did.

My biggest problem with it is that a large part of it is based on a device that doesn't exist.

If the writers could have worked out a way around that I probably would have liked it more.

And a few times it's pretty predictable (well maybe only once unless you WERE watching closely)

Anyone feel different?

I liked that movie a lot. It was way creepy. **SPOILER**
The fact that the Hugh Jackman essentially had to die during every performance was just .... weird. And creepy.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:45:49 PM »
Yeah. "I never knew if i was going to be the one who lived or the one who died" that was an intense line.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Erin

• Signs

• The Future is Unwritten
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 08:43:47 AM »
I didn"t like this movie at all, maybe because of the story. The " secret"/"mystery" is very easy to guess. There are no surprises, and I didn"t see the point of the movie. It brought me nothing.

steinmansbrain

• The Village

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 10:14:52 AM »
If you'd liked The Prestige, you should see Memento. Also directed by Christopher Nolan. I love his movies!

I think i've already seen part of that but i'll defo try watch the full thing when I can  :)

Yeah. "I never knew if i was going to be the one who lived or the one who died" that was an intense line.

Yes!! that truly was an intense line!

I didn"t like this movie at all, maybe because of the story. The " secret"/"mystery" is very easy to guess. There are no surprises, and I didn"t see the point of the movie. It brought me nothing.

That's understandable really. I can see how people would feel like that for sure. I felt like I should have been surprised by parts of it but some things just didn't work.

Erin

• Signs

• The Future is Unwritten
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 10:39:20 AM »
yes it's exactly that : some things just didn"t work.
In my view, you learn too early the plot and the truth ...

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 06:42:13 PM »
where is it you learn the truth? I don't rememebr seeing that pile of hats till at least the second half.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 01:17:26 PM »
I don't rememebr seeing that pile of hats till at least the second half.

Actually, the pile of hats is the first shot  ;). Not until the start of the second half do we see the hats again, etc. But that isn't the real mystery, so what does that matter?

I really enjoyed this movie, I advise for anyone who hasn't see it to not watch the trailer. It's not so much that it is revealing, it's that it is misleading! You will enjoy the movie more if you don't watch the trailer IMO.

Namaste

• Personal Text
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 01:30:35 PM »
well, that's what gave the big mystery away to me. From there, i could logically conlude the solution to pretty much every question posed by the movie.