Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 178

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 183

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 184

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 220

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 223

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 235

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 250

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 268
Article: reasons for no pre-viewing for critics, theories, new info...

Author Topic: Article: reasons for no pre-viewing for critics, theories, new info...  (Read 10824 times)

mamasan

Mamasan, I meant, would you rather have M Night make a movie that sacrificed what you personally think is quality in order for more people to like it?  Or would you rather him make the movie that you thought was better, but less people would like it?

Mr. Glass, do you think M Night will ever not be making movies that are uniquely his?  Do you think he could make a good movie that was his on a small budget?

DILinator, as it stands now, where do we see or hear reviews of the general movie going public, reviews that you would actually see as any sort of indicator of a movie being good that is?  Also, do you think it's possible that M Night could make a movie that you think is extremely well made, a movie that you think is his best made movie, a movie that personally blows you away, but it doesn't do well at the box office?

Being totally selfish, I'd prefer he make a great movie that *I* love, even if it means only six people (including me, of course!) see it. But I'm thinking his best effort--meaning no compromises to the Hollywood 'machine'--would be enjoyable to a pretty broad audience and would be successful, making the 'sacrificing quality' question moot.

But I also think he'd be a great small-budget filmmaker. So.... I'm not answering your question am I? Sorry! I overthank it. ;D

BN

• Unbreakable

I really like the discussion we are having in this thread. This response is directed to no one particular poster.

As a director I love, I want the Happening to be commercially successful whether or not I like it. My logic is that this will be the purest way for MNS to thumb his nose at the critics and his many immature haters out there. I really hope he has taken his gloves off on this one and delivered what everybody wants - an entertaining movie that draws the crowds in. That will regain his credibility as defined by Hollywood. He will be making more movies for sure in the future but with the pressure off of him. We will ofcourse then be treated to a host of articles about how a visionary director 'sold his soul'. But I rather have that (for this movie alone) as it will expose the hypocrisy of the self-proclaimed critics out there.

For all the bad press he gets for being 'arrogant' did anyone notice that (****SPOILER WARNING***) him only 'appearing' as a voice on a phone call in the Happening is a big sign that he listened to the critics for his over-blown role in LITW ? That simple action (writing himself out of a script) shows he is NOT 'full of himself'.

Kable

• Signs

Might be an stupid theory but.. have you ever thought that The happening could be something like the sequence of Signs? I mean, in the end of Signs they say the Aliens has a poison gas, but they never explains what it does. Maybe thats the result, people comits suicide. But we never got the chance to know that, since Morgan didn?t breath it.

Or maybe i?m just sleeping and writing random thoghts  ;D
Either way, nice Topic guys, I?ll keep my eye here.

okokokok

• LITW

mamasan, you did answer my question, so thanks! I agree with you, though I don't think it is being selfish at all to want a film to speak directly to you.  Maybe if you didn't want anyone else to like it except you, that might be selfish.

mamasan

Might be an stupid theory but.. have you ever thought that The happening could be something like the sequence of Signs? I mean, in the end of Signs they say the Aliens has a poison gas, but they never explains what it does. Maybe thats the result, people comits suicide. But we never got the chance to know that, since Morgan didn?t breath it.

Or maybe i?m just sleeping and writing random thoghts  ;D
Either way, nice Topic guys, I?ll keep my eye here.

Ooooooo. I don't think that's stupid. I like that idea!

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Good posts. The Happening is an original story and has nothing to do with any of his previous films.

Rohan

mamasan

mamasan, you did answer my question, so thanks! I agree with you, though I don't think it is being selfish at all to want a film to speak directly to you.  Maybe if you didn't want anyone else to like it except you, that might be selfish.

On the contrary, I think he's overdue for a box office hit, and God knows he deserves it after the media-bashing he endured last time out. Yeesh...

Mr_Glass.1

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Email
Yes, he is overdue for a box office hit, and The Happening will be original.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village