Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 178

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 183

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 184

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 220

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 223

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 235

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 250

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 268
Article: reasons for no pre-viewing for critics, theories, new info...

Author Topic: Article: reasons for no pre-viewing for critics, theories, new info...  (Read 10806 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Well, I hope the opening scene isn't like. I always love the opening scene of all his films, but I am sure in my mind that it will somewhat spooky opening.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
I read that article, guys and it says its a terrible movie. What is that mean? Are they alright?

Rohan

Wags

• The Happening

I think this article, the one the original poster linked to, is referring to a local press junket and screening in that country (Scotland?).

I doubt Night is cancelling press junkets and screenings in the US. It seems him and Wahlberg are on a tour in Europe, and they must have had to pull out of certain arrangements.

Don't get you panties into a bunch people just yet.

Oh thank god.  I can sleep tonight  ;D

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
This is an odd thread, but don't you people get worried yet.  There's some confusing articles out there.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
This is an odd thread, but don't you people get worried yet.  There's some confusing articles out there.

Yep, confusing articles, like the confusing awesome trailers.

rohan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
Oh yeah, which will lead to the best movie of the year.  Only 16 more days, aarrrghhh, I can't wait.  I was going to go with a bunch of people I know opening night, but most of them are going on vacation, so instead just two of my friends and I are going.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

DILinator

• The Happening

As was mentioned before, this may not even be referring to US screenings and press junkets.  However, even if it is, I'm not too worried?  We already know Night has no fondness for the critics (nor do they for him), so why reveal your masterpiece to them, just to have people who are going to hate on something without even giving it a fair shake ruin the positive buzz you have going right before the movie comes out?  It seems like Night being Night, and keeping things shrouded in secrecy right up until opening day, in hopes of a bigger audience.  Then, if the movie is viewed favorably by the general public, and they start a positive word-of-mouth campaign, he will be far better off than if a few critics who are just waiting to hate the movie and trash it regardless of what it's like denounce it before it's out.  It makes sense to me, and given Shyamalan's past history with critics, is a pretty smart move I think. 

But then again, we don't even know for sure if that article is referring to US screenings.  So we'll just have to wait and see!
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

BN

• Unbreakable

It makes sense to me, and given Shyamalan's past history with critics, is a pretty smart move I think. 

But then again, we don't even know for sure if that article is referring to US screenings.  So we'll just have to wait and see!
I see it differently. I think he should have mended fences with the critics and gone out of his way to appease them. The reviews will be out by Saturday morning and all it gains him is the first day audience differential. This does not amount to much in the long run. OTOH, given the LITW debacle, many people may NOT go on Friday and wait for the reviews.

Look, he has nothing to gain by attempting to be a maverick here (his Times of India interview came across as very cocky to me). To continue getting decent funding, he has to make commercially successful movies. And to be successful (commercially), he has to be a good PR person in addition to being a good film maker. We fans are a minuscule percent of the movie watching public and cannot make a significant impact on the overall success of the movie. Finally, I have sensed a decline in script tightness with both Village and LITW. This has gone side-by-side with a shift towards social commentary which I generally do not like in movies. Even though I am a fan, he has to demonstrate that he is grounded in reality and what it takes to be a critically and commercially successful film maker. My faith in his abilities will certainly drop drastically if this movie does not live up to its promise. And I guarantee a non-successful Happening will NOT bode well for any future efforts of his.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
So what do you think happens the $250,000,000+ trilogy he is signed on to do for Paramount if The Happening fails? Budget reduced? Films canceled? or nothing?

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
I say nothing happens.

DILinator

• The Happening

It makes sense to me, and given Shyamalan's past history with critics, is a pretty smart move I think. 

I see it differently. I think he should have mended fences with the critics and gone out of his way to appease them. The reviews will be out by Saturday morning and all it gains him is the first day audience differential. This does not amount to much in the long run. OTOH, given the LITW debacle, many people may NOT go on Friday and wait for the reviews.

Look, he has nothing to gain by attempting to be a maverick here (his Times of India interview came across as very cocky to me). To continue getting decent funding, he has to make commercially successful movies. And to be successful (commercially), he has to be a good PR person in addition to being a good film maker. We fans are a minuscule percent of the movie watching public and cannot make a significant impact on the overall success of the movie. Finally, I have sensed a decline in script tightness with both Village and LITW. This has gone side-by-side with a shift towards social commentary which I generally do not like in movies. Even though I am a fan, he has to demonstrate that he is grounded in reality and what it takes to be a critically and commercially successful film maker. My faith in his abilities will certainly drop drastically if this movie does not live up to its promise. And I guarantee a non-successful Happening will NOT bode well for any future efforts of his.

I disagree, and applaud him for his stance against the critics, and say "screw them"!  Movie critics are one of the most worthless and unimportant classes of society that I have found, and the fact that Night realizes this and doesn't play their games is a positive in my mind.  Movie critics tend to be woefully out of touch with the majority of moviegoers likes and dislikes, and there are certain prominent reviewers out there that I can pretty much gauge how much I'll like a movie by how much they dislike it.  Since movies are an art, and open to individual interpretation, the whole concept of a film critic is rather pointless.  Sure, some movies are really bad, and if that's the case, the general public will show that with THEIR reviews.  However, a critic "signing off" on a movie or not should have little bearing on an intelligent movie-goers decision whether to see a movie.  Most reviewers are self-serving and not very global in their assessment of movies to begin with, causing whatever their eventual review is to be flawed.

Ok, enough with my rant against the overrated film critics of the world.  My point about The Happening and Shyamalan is that he makes (generally speaking) very good films, that the majority of normal people watch and enjoy.  I expect no different from The Happening, no matter what the eventual critics reviews are.  Knowing that your target audience isn't the film critics, why would you screen for them and pander to their truly bloated ego anyway?  What critics say is generally worthless, especially when it comes to certain types of movies and filmmakers, so why bother giving them a chance to sabotage something that will more than likely be a hit after the target audience views it?  I haven't ran into anybody yet who said they weren't going to see The Happening because they hated LITW.  That's simply a thought process that only die-hard moviegoers, critics, and fans of particular films (like us) really think much about.  If the movie looks interesting from the previews, and sounds mysterious, piquing their interest, then people will want to see it, regardless of what LITW did.  Those same people could be influenced away from seeing it though if the critics trashed the movie right before it came out, and again, I don't blame Shyamalan if he chooses not to go that route.  Yes, he's a little cocky, but I would like to think that really he's just confident in his work.  At least he's worked hard and accomplished something with his life.... that's not something any film critic can really say!   
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22

BN
It makes sense a little if I think about the MONEY GRAPH on the box office like you do, but your post doesn't make sense to me, cause I think more about ART,WRITING,DIRECTING style and effort of an artist.

M.Night's career will not be over even if "The Happening" fails.

Like "Malcome" said what will happent to the trilogy M.night signed with PARAMOUNT. Are they going to look for "Peter Jackson"? No, they will not. They will stick M.Night cause M.Night has potential as a director and writer.

I don't know why you look for Box Office GROSS INCOME and decides M. Night's future career.

Rohan
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:19:37 PM by Rohan »

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Just to correct you Rohan, the Avatar trilogy will be made at Paramount not Universal.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
Just to correct you Rohan, the Avatar trilogy will be made at Paramount not Universal.

Thanks for correcting me, Malcome. I don't why I typed "Universal". Yes, PARAMOUNT.

Rohan

BN

• Unbreakable

So let me see the views I have seen till now:
- The critics don't matter because they are idiots
- The commercial success of a movie does not matter (which implies the opinion of the general public is not important) as he will still continue to get studios to support him.

What next ? He is continuously joked about on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes but that doesn't matter because the board members are idiots ??

Note also that after the fall-out with Disney, he went to Warner Bros which did not want to support Happening. So he is now with the third studio in his last three movies.

I ask, what is important if none of the above factors are ? Just making movies that we fans think are good to great ? This is fan boy speak.

I agree he has a trilogy deal but that is what my point is - studios are willing to support him as a pure director but not as a director of his own material. Open your eyes, guys and think logically without such a strong bias.

If Happening is not a success, the budget for movies he writes will shrink very fast assuming any studio is willing to support him at all. Trust me, he needs this movie to be a hit very very badly. And I will define success, given all the factors, as a domestic take of ~ $100 million and ~ 60% approval on Rotten Tomatoes.