Bollywood not on Shyamalan's Happening List

Author Topic: Bollywood not on Shyamalan's Happening List  (Read 1288 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Bollywood not on Shyamalan's Happening List
« on: May 30, 2008, 08:20:03 PM »
Express India, 05 May 2008

In India to receive Padma Shri, filmmaker says doesn't want to be known as the guy who made films with a twist ending He maybe our best known import to the West but film-maker Manoj Night Shyamalan has seen only three Indian films till date. And he has a funny description for each of those. He terms Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham as "the one which stars the dude who is in every film (take that Shah Rukh Khan!)," Satyam Shivam Sundaram as "the smokin' one" and Devdas as "the one with the heightened music score like a Shakespearian play." The Philadelphia-based director is in his birth country after a decade long gap. This time it's extra special since he's also receiving the prestigious Padma Shri award from the President of India. Shyamalan is also using the homecoming to promote his forthcoming venture, The Happening, which is set for a worldwide release on June 13th. The Happening is a co-production with the Bombay-based UTV Motion Pictures and studio major 20th Century Fox. Looking dapper in a steel grey suit, Shyamalan seemed visibly excited about The Happening, which he termed "as kinda like Alfred Hitchcock's Birds, where people are trapped in an area when something bizarre is happening." The Happening is a crucial release for Shyamalan since his last two biggies, The Village and Lady In The Water, received huge critical and commercial drubbing especially the latter which was much ridiculed. Known for his supernatural storylines and "the twist" ending, Shyamalan feels his films suffer from The Sixth Sense Syndrome where all his ventures are compared by the global blockbuster. But he's categorical that he doesn't want to be just known as "the guy who made six films with a twist ending." He would rather his films clear the two crucial tests: the sip test and the take home test. "I want the audience to take one sip/one look at my film and like it but I would much prefer that they take the film home and also see it again and again," he says. A self confessed Philly fan, Shyamalan doesn't regard himself as a Hollywood heavyweight. "I don't want to hear any Hollywood gossip and only go there for meetings. I'm always in Philly, either shooting my movies or playing basketball with my two girls," he says. He has a very cool stance with regards his love-hate relationship with critics who always thumb down his films. "I'll go crazy if I think they love me or hate me. Pretty early on in my career I chose not to conform to the system and now that I've made that choice I'm gonna take all that comes with it. They might have hated Unbreakable and Lady In The Water but trust me if I'm ever in a burning building I'll save only these two films." And while he awaits the critical review of The Happening, Shyamalan is already on to his next project, Avatar: The Last Airbender, which he's making for Paramount studio. This one is inspired by a Japanese children's animation series and is sprinkled with lots of Hindu and Buddhism philosophies. This one is a light film but like Shyamalan jokes, "even if I make a comedy or a children's film they'll judge it as a scary movie anyway." But that doesn't mean he won't try.

Source: UTV Motion Pictures

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Re: Bollywood not on Shyamalan's Happening List
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:57:52 PM »
Slight mistake about the origins of Avatar, but other than that, cool read.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 04:45:36 AM »
Slight mistake about the origins of Avatar, but other than that, cool read.

Actually don't know much about Avatar, so what could be the mistake, Malcome?

Rohan

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:09:29 AM »
This one is inspired by a Japanese children's animation series

Avatar is an American animation series, not Japanese.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 06:13:19 PM »
This one is inspired by a Japanese children's animation series

Avatar is an American animation series, not Japanese.

Oh really? I never knew it. Actually, never saw Avatar on TV. So, its American Animation Series. Cool.

Rohan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 08:56:42 AM »
It's pretty cool, thanks for putting the article up there Rohan.  There's a lot of stuff out there about Night right now.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village