2 New Reviews!!

Author Topic: 2 New Reviews!!  (Read 2034 times)

ypehmish

• Unbreakable

• Email
2 New Reviews!!
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:54:04 AM »
This the positive one.
here is the link http://www.labutaca.net/films/61/elincidente4.php

here is the translation:

A ghost, a superhero, a Martian, a monster and a siren. These recurrent elements have been used by the brilliant M. Night Shyamalan in his last films ?we are talking about his production from ?The sixth sense? (1999) onwards, because that movie began his international and commercial recognition?, characters that serve as a colourful excuse to present tremendous tragedies about the solitude, the loss of innocence and, definitively and in an inescapable way, the internal and external fragility of human being. Nevertheless, the considerable critical and public catastrophe of the unjustly neglected ?Lady in the water?, his last work, placed him in a complex situation facing the industry. For that reason, that he succeeds in his return even when he resigns in a certain way to the essence of his previous work ?especially as far as concerns the narrative tempo? it is wonderful news.
Something strange harasses New York. A wave of suicides without apparent reason expands all over the city, an uncontrolled fury that doesn?t distinguish age, creed or social position. Faced with this situation, the authorities begin to plan the evacuation of the downtown. But when other cases appear in different states, a global panic spreads, an inevitable fear towards the unknown? First of all, it is necessary to indicate that ?The Happening? has one of the most demolishing beginnings of recent cinema; a brutal, gelid prologue, shot and displayed with a technical and aesthetic perfection that maintains the spectator in tension, hypnotized by the unfolding events. But it is somewhat strange, inevitably, that unfolding of a mechanic ?and fascinatingly morbid? violence, an approach far away from the previous works of the Indian filmmaker, which opted, for virtually all the footage, for intuition and suggestion rather than exhibition. So here we are facing a new and different Shyamalan, who largely prefers to articulate a spectacular thriller aimed to a majority, perhaps concerned about a possible ?and, in the end, warningly definitive? rejection of a public not accustomed to the elaborated and chillingly sensible works of this unique director.
But that is precisely the great triumph of the film. Because based on a structurally simpler script, in which the classic and linear narrative division emerges avoiding more complex and twisted ways, the master of ceremonies gives some magisterial lessons of a visual tension that seizes every minute of a history in which the man succumbs to the constant threat of a quiet surrounding, a silent and hostile frame in which only the whisper of the wind anticipates an imminent attack. Each scene is carefully planned, with a wisdom that harmonizes brutality and lyricism; a magnificent director of actors ?he?s been showing it throughout all of his work?, [Shyamalan] is amply capable at the time of turning innocence, a common subject of his cinematographic ideology, in a forceful and universal sample of the most innocent love: there are the doubts of Soul (Zooey Deschanel), that collide with the unshakeable simplicity of the open, sober and sincere temper of Elliot (Mark Wahlberg), a young marriage put under some hesitations more common to those ones of two children that the ones of an adult and consummated couple.
Around them exists a desperate humanity, incapable of assimilate what happens, trapped in an extreme situation that leads them away and closer continuously. Tenderness, horror, affection, primitive passions emerging in a lethal but calm context, once discerned the basic rules of this tremendous natural revolution. This canvas is, and isn?t, a brother of the previous pictures of the human essence drawn by a creative brain able to disturb our spirit at will, to take our emotions from a side to another with astonishing ease. The projection finalizes, and our mind is still trapped in a fantastical, personal and fabulous world. Perhaps he [Shyamalan] has capitulated somewhat, but he has done it with courage, and he remains equally necessary in the submissive creative panorama that we are living today.

This is the negative one.
here is the link: http://www.ecranlarge.com/movie_review-read-10817-15407.php

here is the translation (used a auto translation on google, may not read right)

SPOILERS--SPOLIERS--SPOILERS--SPOILERS--SPOILERS

With Sign, Mr. Night Shyamalan already had flirted with the incoherence sc?naristique: allergic aliens to water and so-called superiorly intelligent invaded the earth, covered 70% to water.  With Phenomena, it sinks the nail. 

(Attention for those that want to preserve the total surprise of the film, it is counseled to stop itself there, the development that follows, r?v?lant of the elements keys of the narrative to justify the disastrous grade given to the film). 

The director (overestimated?) of Sixth Direction returns with a grotesque history endow with a moral ?colo as absurd as telephoned.  The plants, in rage against humanity, rebel and leave to escape from the ugly toxins that push the humans to the suicide...  And Shyamalan to balance us the perpetual environmental ritournelle:  "Except you while saving your planet".  The speech is evidently praiseworthy but, to understand it, a counsel: look at rather A truth that disturbs, the documentary of Gory Al.  Here, the scenario lacks sales talk and is only a pretext to poncifs.  Shyamalan, responsible citizen, profit from it besides to balance us a scoop: the biggest evil of our era is not the terrorism but the environment destruction. 

Already poor on the paper, the level could be raised only by the present.  But, despite a scene of rather successful exposition on the first suicides, Shyamalan runs out of steam while choosing to illustrate the threat by a plan succession set up on brackens and poplars restless by the wind.  Of course, the director will claim himself of a homage to the films of kind of the years 50 and 60 but it is not necessary to confuse homage and caricatures.  All here is predictable, clumsy and sealed by a than alarming more annoying music.  The doors that grate and the old hysterical crazy manners Norman Bates do not do recipe that under the warned eye of a Hitchcock.  And it no longer suffices of two throws of blood or of a crash of car to terrify the spectator.  As much to restore itself an old voucher episode of The Fourth Dimension. 

And difficult to recover the blow with the actors.  Mark Walhberg already had proved that it was able the better one (Boogie Nights, The Yards. ..) as worse one (unforgettable To Shoot).  And unfortunately for Shyamalan, this is the extreme version that it chooses here.  The scenes with the crazy one (all so bad one) that collects them in his house are at this anthological title.  But this is not compared anything to the exasperating gesture of a Zooey Deschanel, option eyes wet and stared.  The conjugal crisis between the tourtereaux is besides more ridiculous, the spectator learning after 1H of unbearable suspense that the dispute object is only a tiramisu that the lady divided with a colleague.  Cherry on the cake, the director adds a topping well sirupeux while doing to prevail love. 

(Big attention spoiler on the film end)

But good, Shyamalan does not live nonetheless to the country of Candy and his ending is not completely happy: the threat does not die but moves.  And do guess where?  With these crados of Frenchy that the film director humiliates while offering to St?phane Debac one retorts final to register to the panth?on of the nanars. 

Sri HK

• Futuristic (After Earth)

Re: 2 New Reviews!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 11:52:18 AM »
I didn't read these two reviews completely (for obvious reasons).  But just glanced through them quickly to get the feel of the review and here is my take...

The first one looks like a real decent review with true intention of deciphering the message behind the movie and what the director really has in mind when he makes the movies. And the last two lines of the review kinda confirms this.  Looks like (from the review) we can all expect the same feel from this movie as we had from Shyamalan's previous movies and i'm sure we are going to love this.

And the second review...well the first three lines say it all about the intentions of the reviewer.  I don't think he has a clue about the way Shyamalan lets his movies play out and how he lets the story unfold in a beautiful way.  This reviewer  is more of a...."hey...lets see what the twist in this movie is going to be...."

Just my two cents.

P.S.:  There is also one more review in Spanish on IMDB that gives the movie a 4 stars.

What you see isn't always what u get.

ypehmish

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »
the positive review is the same thing. its the spanish review from imdb.

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 01:17:54 PM »
Thats good news...I guess. I had trouble understanding what they were saying.

People really need to stop associating this movie with Al Gore. 

Hawkowl

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 02:02:30 PM »
Interesting...

I thought it was funny that the autor translator changed Al Gore to "Gory Al"   :D
-Hawkowl

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 06:26:07 PM »
Nice, thanks for posting. Honestly, I read the positive review and didn't concentrated when I read the negative review. The negative review kind a didn't made sense to me. The positive review makes sense cause it praises the effort of an artist.

?The Happening? has one of the most demolishing beginnings of recent cinema;

I can't wait for the 13th.

Kable

• Signs

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 10:59:22 PM »
 ??? I didn?t understand.

What happened with the movie not being showed to anyone? And now we have two true(as they say) reviews? ???

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 02:11:49 PM »
??? I didn?t understand.

What happened with the movie not being showed to anyone? And now we have two true(as they say) reviews? ???

No Idea, whats going on   ???

werebearxxx

• The Happening

• http://myspace.com/werebearxxx
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 11:45:25 PM »
i feel like the slow uncle who really tries to fit into the conversation but it doesnt work....

what the hell was the second review saying......lame.