What would you do to make this movie better?

Author Topic: What would you do to make this movie better?  (Read 3565 times)

okokokok

• LITW

What would you do to make this movie better?
« on: June 03, 2008, 03:49:06 PM »
I am interested in knowing how everyone would make this movie better.  I am curious about what specific changes you would make, while keeping the main story intact, that would maybe make you like this film more.  I am not really asking what you would do to make this movie more successful, but rather some ideas on how it could be changed so that it was more enjoyable to you.

MrStone

• LITW

Re: What would you do to make this movie better?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 12:38:35 AM »
More of a sense of accomplishment for the main character - Paul Giamatti's character.  It felt like he was just more of a bystander - and the scene where you find out it was actually him that was the healer was not quite enough to have emotional impact.  Maybe it was poor acting performances...and maybe the guild was just too big...and no one sold that you ever thought anyone but Paul Giamatti was that special.

just my .02

JWMMakerofMusic

• Wide Awake

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:26:43 PM »
 :'( Why did the Scrunt have to die?

LOL! ;D
1. Sixth Sense
2. Lady in the Water
3. Unbreakable
4. The Village
5. Signs

Unbroken

• Futuristic (After Earth)

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 05:28:35 PM »
First off, the film had too many quirks. It was a brilliant idea, but stunted by awkward moments that made it hard to plug into the emotional current the movie was supposed to have. For instance when Cleveland carries Story outside, and then she begins screaming and he starts screaming and he runs for the house, and the Scrunt just lolli-gags behind and then the door slams. When Cleveland cons Vick into "seeing" Story also comes to mind as well; it was awkward, and didn't make much sense anyway.

There are other awkward moments that arise from the dialog between characters; Story is too shy, and when she does speak, it's often just too stalling and abstract because she doesn't communicate like an ordinary human, which frustrated me. Likewise Cleveland's stuttering gets in the way sometimes, although I do think it was often used well. And I couldn't connect with Young Soon; she was supposed to be funny, and she was, but her mannerisms just shut me down completely because I didn't like her as a character. She was annoying. A few of the other characters got on my nerves a little too, namely Anna Ran.

The principle thing I would shoot for is finding ways to smooth out the quirks.

Secondly, I would have made it more frightening. Not by putting in more frightening scenes, but by just doing the scare scenes a little better. I felt too safe; M Night has always tried to not let his audience feel safe, but he didn't accomplish that in Lady in the Water. I didn't find the Scrunt intimidating, because there were times when I thought it could have taken Story out but it always failed; so it lost that credibility. I think I would have made the Tartuic more hostile, perhaps brought them into the movie earlier and even set them against Story, perhaps because she's broken a Law. That would have amped it up.

The green dog just wasn't enough.

And last but not least, the thing with the butterflies! When Cleveland finds out he's The Healer, it's supposed to be a 'twist-like' moment. But when Mrs Bell says "the butterfly flew over your shoulder", I felt completely duped. It was a weakly done pivotal moment, because we, the audience, never saw the butterfly fly over Cleveland's shoulder. It was a complete letdown for me. Subsequently when the emotional highlight of the movie - Cleveland holding Story - occurs right after, I felt so far removed that the wonderful moment just passed right over me. I was all blocked up inside, and then I felt bad because I knew I had missed something spectacular.

:-\

Those are the main things I would fix. After I watched it a second time, I enjoyed it much more, but only because I turned off my brain to certain things, which I wish I didn't have to do. Lady in the Water had a great message and lovely moments, but it needed better execution as a whole.

Either way, I'll always take a flawed movie with great aspirations over an unremarkable movie with little or no aspirations other than to briefly entertain and then be forgotten about. Lady in the Water is the type of film you can think back on years later, and care enough about it to deeply want it to be better.

--- There's a dog inside the building. Go. Shoo! ...Why you're not a dog at all... My God. This is like a moment from a horror movie. It is precisely the moment where the mutation or beast will attempt to kill an unlikable side character. BUT, in stories where there has been no prior cursing, nudity, killing, or death, such as in a family film, the unlikable character will narrowly escape his encounter and be referenced again later in the story, having learned valuable lessons. He may even be given a humorous moment to allow the audience to feel good about him. This is where I turn to run. You will leap for me. I will shut the door. And you will land a fraction of a second too late. ---

Sanford

• The Avatar

• Black Lightning
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:26:54 PM »
I probably would've paced it a little differently towards the end, speeding things up just a bit. Also, the thing that irked me the most, is there should've been a more genuine connection between Cleveland and Story, so we cared more about her, sort of like Elliot and E.T. That would've made the later scenes more powerful I think.

I like the movie a lot, but what I mentioned above might've made it a little better. But maybe we'll feel differently about it in ten years, who knows.

mnightfan4lyfe

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 11:39:48 PM »
The fact that there were so many different characters took away from time that could have been used to further develop Story and Cleveland's characters and relationship more fully. At the end of the film, I still felt I didn't quite know either of them as well as I could have. I would have limited the # of characters I focused on, in order to deepen the audience's connection to them and give more time to my leads.

The Story/bathroom scene with everyone in the hallway figuring out the tale is too long and too "talky". Too much telling and not enough showing, if that makes any sense. Could any or all of this have been somehow portrayed visually or thru action rather than just talking it out?? That came to mind when I saw it.

There were probably a few other minor things, but I can't recall now. I'm being nit picky to find anything I didn't like, because overall, I really loved this movie and it's one of the most memorable, unique movies I've ever seen. 

Lieutenantnike

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 12:29:09 AM »
Ya know, I don't really think it could've been better--neither in a good nor bad way. The reason critics look down upon Lady was simply because for Night's standards (his first 3 films sold incredibly), it didn't do very well... at all. But as a movie by itself, it wasn't half bad. It was simply too different from what his fans were expecting, I believe. But I still love him and Lady :)

Namaste

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 01:05:59 AM »
What I hear mainly is people complaining about Shyamalan's character. He is so hyped up as a writer/director, people expect much more from him than his mediocre acting skills which makes him look bad. And a character who is also the writer/director of the movie in anything but a self-deprecating role will seem self-indulgent and egotistical to most people. the role he played in Signs for example was sort of a pariah, an outcast - which allowed him to play very humble and believable. You wanted to feel for the guy. I think his role in LITW was acted out OKAY, it just wasn't right for him considering his other positions in the film.
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.

Unbroken

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 02:43:55 PM »
I agree Namaste, it would have been better for Night to stay mostly behind the camera. It's fun to see him pop up in his movies, but his elongated presence in Lady in the Water was slightly distracting and he couldn't do it convincingly.

As for people and critics who want to accuse him of being a narcissist for casting himself as a divinely inspired writer, I think that's undeserved. Nobody gets on Mel Gibson for casting himself as William Wallace in Braveheart...

FoxxyMama

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 12:47:09 AM »
yeah ive wondered for a long time what was really wrong with Lady. I didnt catch anything and i adored it. Everybody that i have asked however, just laugh and say,"Its about a narf!." It makes me angry....(you wont like me when im angry)...heheh...I loved how creative and different it was and the fact that the Lady in the water was a Narf only made it better.
"Whats furry furry rabbit?"
"Its a game isn't it?"

atenicela

• Praying with Anger

• Myspace
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 07:27:43 AM »
Nothing would make it better because this movie was alwsome!!!!!!!
M.Night is a genuis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love every movie he has made and i must say his movie's are not for the slow, so if you did not get it..im sorry but he rocks!!!!!!!!
M. Night is a Genius!

FoxxyMama

• Wide Awake

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 11:41:12 PM »
yeah most people fail to see the true meaning in M. Nights films. and how they thought that the religious background in signs was silly. ugh i hate the haters!
"Whats furry furry rabbit?"
"Its a game isn't it?"