Great Idea, Wrong Cast

Author Topic: Great Idea, Wrong Cast  (Read 1457 times)

Ms.Active

• Praying with Anger

• Email
Great Idea, Wrong Cast
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
I love M. Night films, but try as I might, I could not love "The Happening."  What I love most about M. Night films is the brilliant casting.  Even the most "minor" actors make such a significant impression that I recognize them again in roles in other M. Night films.  Remember the father in "The Sixth Sense?"  The one who found out his wife had killed their daughter?  He appeared again as a newscaster in "Signs."  And what about the mother in "The Sixth Sense?"  Wasn't she WONDERFUL!  In these films, there isn't a break in character, there isn't a false moment.  Then we come to "The Happening," and all I can say is "what happened?"  Some of M. Night's magic showed through, to be sure.  The brilliant scene so often played of the construction workers stepping off the building.  I've always loved John Leguzamo (sorry if I'm misspelling it!), and I loved him in The Happening too.  But I could not identify with the main characters to save my life.  They were so shallow and ditsy I honestly didn't care if they lived or died!  M. Night seemed to be trying to embody a concept in them, a kind of innocent yuppie thing, but the idea that the story wasn't ABOUT people but about the environment just didn't work for me.  If people are in the story, they need to be COMPELLING.  This is the first M. Night film I truly didn't like.  And yes, I watched it more than once, because you need to watch all his films more than once.  I hope others are telling him - keep your CASTING genius!  Your movies are about ideas EMBODIED!  The embodiment of these ideas is ALL IMPORTANT.  Thus, the actors you choose are ALL IMPORTANT.  (And please don't send a beast to eat me!)

Namaste

• Futuristic (After Earth)

• Personal Text
    The divine in me bows before the divine in you.
    • myspace
Re: Great Idea, Wrong Cast
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 07:27:55 PM »
Yes! John Leguizamo was, indeed, the best actor in that film. Even though his part was small, I found it the most compelling. I read a great article on some insights into The Happening which Rohan posted on Facebook. Maybe he can get his hands on it again and post it as a reply here.   ::)
See the villain's larger eyes insinuating a just-off-normal perspective on how they see the world? I see signs Lucius Hunt; just not as you see dead people. I am so very happy we saw..each other, and no I will not tell you what color love is. Stop asking.