Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 178

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 183

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 184

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 220

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 223

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 235

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 250

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 268
Manoj Gets Candid!

Author Topic: Manoj Gets Candid!  (Read 3109 times)

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
Manoj Gets Candid!
« on: May 30, 2008, 08:22:42 PM »
What first strikes you about Manoj Night Shyamalan is the fact that he is, among other things, so young. For a while I didn't believe that I was sitting in a room with the man behind gargantuan films like The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village. "Call me Night," he simply says. He's here to receive the Padma Shri and promote his latest offering ? sci-fi thriller The Happening. The film incidentally holds the record for being the biggest and most high-profile Asian film co-production with a US studio, budgeted at $57 million. Bigger bucks that Bollywood can only dream about! Ronnie Screwvala, CEO of the company that's co-producing Night's latest, says, "He's one of the few directors from Hollywood who has as much of a huge following outside of the US as he has in the US." From Pondicherry (Night's birthplace) to Philadelphia (where he currently lives) to Mumbai. How does he take in this city now? Gazing down at the melting pot from the 16th floor window of his suite, he says, "Mumbai strikes me as a city of contrasts. But what I've noticed nine years after being here is the burgeoning middle class. I think that's been Mumbai's biggest growth since I was last here. And that can only do this city a lot of good." Moving away from the city streets and its facets, conversation drifts over to what he is passionate about ? and that is films. What is it that inspires him? "When you're making a film, it's like you're dating someone. You're keeping yourself open, and it's like a heightened sense of consciousness as any little incident, even a sentence that you hear someone say that isn't directed to you, could become part of a scene in my next film," he says. "But I am not really one for verbalising and taking down notes. Because the moment you do that, you're crystallising the idea and giving it a direction. If it's still in your head, it can still meander and grow," he adds. Which leads us to the question about when was it that he was inspired to do The Happening. "Well, I was driving down to the studio a couple of years back to edit Lady In The Water, when something I saw or heard formed the germ of the idea for this movie." And is it going to be his spookiest product yet? "Oh, yes! This one's by far the scariest," he chuckles. Then there's the question, the weight of which causes this unflappable filmmaker to fall back in his chair, crease his brow and think. Every film of his has that formula. Scary, dark, then the twist in the end that diffuses all the darkness and fear that came before it. "You know, I could write a book about that. There are so many things I could say to my critics, but I'm just going to say this. I feel frustrated when there is a certain expectation for me to re-tread the formula every time. But then if I don't people come up and ask me what went wrong? It's like George Lucas. Even though he started out as an independent filmmaker, he's BECOME the formula now. When Agatha Christie had to write something that was different from the formula, she had to use a pen name. I feel the same way." From The Sixth Sense to The Happening, how does he see himself now? "When I put out Sense, I had to go helter skelter to get it promoted. Then Unbreakable saw people say that the comic book format wouldn't work. But it did. Today, it's my best-reviewed movie. To me, reality is the test of time. That's what proves everything." He admits that it's been a while since he saw a Bollywood flick and can't put a face to the name. Though he adds, "SRK ? if that is the one you're talking about ? reminds me of Mel Gibson!"

Source: UTV Motion Pictures.

Sri HK

Re: Manoj Gets Candid!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
SRK reminds him of Gibson... :D

May be Amir looks more like Gibson......on second thoughts no...there is now way anyone in Bollywood is Gibson like.

:)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:57:34 PM by Sri HK »
What you see isn't always what u get.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 04:43:45 AM »
SRK reminds him of Gibson... :D

May be Amir looks more like Gibson......on second thoughts no...there is now way anyone in Bollywood is Gibson like.

:)

You are right, but trust me in Bollywood and in India, SRK actually reminds you of Mel Gibson, its not about the looks, they mean about the talent.

Rohan

Sri HK

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:36:18 AM »
SRK is indeed a good actor but i sometimes feel he overacts in some scenes.  May be he is kinda Gibson.  Amir is more versatile , so is Anil Kapoor, Sanjay Dutt and Salman Khan (all of the same generation).  I like Amir in this bunch.

But of the more recent bunch Hrithik Stands out.

P.S.: Rohan...in my previous post when i said "looks like".....it is more in terms of acting.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 09:38:03 AM by Sri HK »
What you see isn't always what u get.

BN

• Unbreakable

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 03:01:42 PM »
SRK is indeed a good actor but i sometimes feel he overacts in some scenes.  May be he is kinda Gibson.  Amir is more versatile , so is Anil Kapoor, Sanjay Dutt and Salman Khan (all of the same generation).  I like Amir in this bunch.

But of the more recent bunch Hrithik Stands out.

P.S.: Rohan...in my previous post when i said "looks like".....it is more in terms of acting.

Not to turn this into a Bollywood discussion forum, but the guy with the most intensity is AB Jr. I think SRK is way too one-dimensional and hams it up like few actors in Bollywood.My favorites are Aamir & AB Jr. And I do not agree with the SRK-Gibson comparison because there are very few similarities in either their acting style or the way they have conducted their career.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 06:16:09 PM »
I know, I don't want this to be now Bollywood discussion forum. SRK is a bit more serious when it comes to acting than AB Jr or Aamir. Aamir is an outstanding actor, there is no question about that, but lately he is acting like a kid. Calling SRK a DOG and he is kind of full of himself. Anyways, I stop here lol .

Rohan

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 09:03:32 AM »
Cool post Rohan, thanks for all the info at the top.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »
Cool post Rohan, thanks for all the info at the top.

no Problem

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 08:57:39 AM »
I think Night's a nice guy, just private.  So when he does talk to the media he is very relaxed, and informative.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »
I think Night's a nice guy, just private.  So when he does talk to the media he is very relaxed, and informative.

He is... relaxed.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 09:17:44 AM »
He seems like the kind of guy that would be great in tight situations, relaxed but also knowing what he is doing.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 08:50:45 PM »
He seems like the kind of guy that would be great in tight situations, relaxed but also knowing what he is doing.

Yeah.  ;D