Official Review Thread

Author Topic: Official Review Thread  (Read 39713 times)

MrStone

• LITW

Re: Official Review Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2008, 08:10:41 AM »
Well, I can honestly say this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Maybe the twist is that it's so bad YOU the audience member wants to kill yourself by the end.

I'm definately a fan of M's work. I love most of the rest of his body of film, but this just has no redeemable qualities whatsoever. The acting is beyond subpar. The plotline thought interesting, goes nowhere and winds up in a neat, packaged fairytale ending (too many bed time stories to your kids perhaps M, you're getting soft). Some of the dialogue is so ludacris that I actually laughed out loud (as did many other theater patrons) even though the scene was not trying to invoke humor. I literally tried to get my money back after seeing it (to no avail they had a 30 minute returns policy). Don't waste your time or money on this disappointing pile of garbage.

Marky Mark needs to stick to grittier roles...I doubt he'll be able to get any work outside of reuniting with the Funky Bunch for a reunion tour along side his brother in New Kids On The Block after people see this movie... ::)

An oscar nominated actor not getting work because of one movie...Im not too sure about that. Besides he did fine in my eyes. More thanfine actually. I liked his performance. I really liked the movie. I think it plays out well. And the theater I was in was sold out, and everyone laughed only when Night intended and screamed at all of the frightening parts. I only heard one person say something bad about it, and like 10 people talking about how muchthey liked it so. Im not worried.
where actually did you see it?  I am just curous where you could get an audience that bought into it that much.

Miles

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2008, 08:40:18 AM »
ha In Delaware. I guess maybe because there is only open landscapes around here that the movie was believable lol I dont know but there was DEFINITELY a bigger positive reaction than a negative one.

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2008, 08:48:15 AM »
ha In Delaware. I guess maybe because there is only open landscapes around here that the movie was believable lol I dont know but there was DEFINITELY a bigger positive reaction than a negative one.

here's my experience, i went with two friends - neither who read the script - and they thought was good.  or at least above average.  i having read the script thought it was below average.  maybe because i saw his original vision of the film - i found it frustrating how it ended up.

MrStone

• LITW

« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2008, 08:48:36 AM »

on another note - we're in Arkansas

Miles

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2008, 09:09:02 AM »
I guess we might be in the same boat then lol, everybody I was with, a group of about 10 only one person said it was ok. everyone else enjoyed it a lot. But the entire theater seemed to be into it, maybe I just got lucky? Im sure that wont happen again. But it was nice. I have a freind who works there and after the movie (which was my second veiwing), I talked with him and a group of kids that worked there and they all said they didnt understand why the movie was getting such a bad rap. even one of them said "Im not really into those types of movies but I didnt think it was BAD" so Idk. Im sure next time I go it wont be close to the same. But my friend got me the happening poster since they took it down, which was awesome ha.

takendell

• Praying with Anger

• Email
Think and Watch...Don't be a languid viewer
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2008, 09:55:27 AM »
You know, I just wrote my review...which was more like a defense...for M. Night on Netflix because I had to say something after seeing the film last night.  Here is what I wrote...this is my first time on Mnightfans.com so I hope you will be kind...  :D

I was not a fan of The Sixth Sense as I guessed the surprise ending within the first 20 minutes of the film.  I am not a lover of Signs either.  I enjoyed the STORY of Lady in the Water and The Village as it depicted fiction within the realities we understand.  The movie, ?The Happening,? is one that walks on the back of Hitchcock in its framing.  I have to think back to the hatred of the movie we now love called ?Vertigo.?  I found The Happening to be a movie that brings the current realities of our allergy-induced environment into a grotesque montage of graphic atrocities.  There was a great deal of critical thought in this film and I felt that most people wanted to be entertained and this film was definitely for the intellectual film lover, not the lovers of The Sixth Sense.  Like some of Hitchcock?s films, this will be loved later, as generations of the future are faced with the events that were characterized in the movie.  If you like to think while watching, then this movie is going to be at least 2.5 stars on your rating scale.  I am sure a number of people do not like the movie because they were reflecting on M. Night?s past works.  He was breaking a mold and I thought he did that well.   Other movies that I find similar under the category I call ?intellectual fiction? while being categorized as horror/suspense are ?Suspiria,? ?The Stand,? ?The Fly,? and ?The Shining.?  They were hated films as well.  After leaving, you could write a dissertation, not discuss the reasons why the director did one thing and not something else.  The only negative I noticed was the dialogue.  It was realistic, as most people tend to talk in the manner written, however, it is not true to the way most film writing is done.  I did notice that the same people who left the theatre saying the movie was horrible were the same people who could not move off the edge of their seat, were biting their nails, and screaming during surprises?to each his own, right?  I would watch it again and I give the film 2.5-3.5 stars depending on the day of the week.  STOP WAITING FOR A TWIST AND LEARN SOMETHING  PEOPLE :o  Great job, M. Night and ask Gore to share that Nobel Prize with you.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 09:59:51 AM by takendell »

OMGWTFBBQ

• Praying with Anger

Re: Think and Watch...Don't be a languid viewer
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2008, 01:11:15 PM »

I am sure a number of people do not like the movie because they were reflecting on M. Night?s past works.     
STOP WAITING FOR A TWIST AND LEARN SOMETHING  PEOPLE

I just wanted to point out that this movie is very similar to his other movies so I didn't understand what you meant by breaking the mold. Small, developed character base, anguished child who whispers, travelling the countryside and holing up in a beaten up old country home, plotline leads to a worldwide morality lesson. These traits have all been represented before in his work.

I honestly think (as someone has said before) that either M is uber-smart and the twist is that it's actually supposed to be a comedy. Or possibly that it makes you want to kill yourself at times because of how bad it it. OR, its just a very poorly made movie with no twist ending (not that that would matter anyway).

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2008, 02:11:08 PM »
I honestly think (as someone has said before) that either M is uber-smart and the twist is that it's actually supposed to be a comedy. Or possibly that it makes you want to kill yourself at times because of how bad it it. OR, its just a very poorly made movie with no twist ending (not that that would matter anyway).

Well, I personally think it was supposed to be funny and silly.  Not an outright comedy however.  The over the top "bad things will happen"  low horn cues in the soundtrack were the first thing that tipped me. The weirdo guy, who knows all about plants and can't stop thinking about hot dogs.  Does anything think M Night is thinking "yea dude, this hot dog dialogue is supposed to be very serious.  I want this movie to be taken very seriously so I am gonna have a dude talk about hot dogs".  M Night knows that the dude is talking about hot dogs, lol.  Ultimately, the mix I feel he struck will be confusing to many, and then will likely fall on the side of not being good, largely because of how his films get advertised. They don't know how sell his movies of late. They have done it incorrectly for the last 3 movies, and that has been the biggest hurdle for all of these movies in my opinion.  That being said, even if the right audience was targeted and everyone knew exactly what they were in for, I still don't think everyone would love it, but they might have a more appropriate perspective when sitting down to watch it is all.

BN

• Unbreakable

Re: Think and Watch...Don't be a languid viewer
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2008, 02:20:17 PM »

I just wanted to point out that this movie is very similar to his other movies so I didn't understand what you meant by breaking the mold. Small, developed character base, anguished child who whispers, travelling the countryside and holing up in a beaten up old country home, plotline leads to a worldwide morality lesson. These traits have all been represented before in his work.

[/quote]

My personal opinion is that it is very different from his earlier movies because of (1) Character development: He doesn't do much of it in this movie (2) Twist: There isn't any (3) Using the supernatural as backdrop for a movie about relationships or faith: This movie was very simple, no deep implications anywhere (4)His own cameo: He doesn't even appear in the movie except as a voice that says one word

Looks like you did not like the movie and that is fine - to each his own. I appreciated what he has done in this movie and enjoyed the movie also.

okman4ever

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2008, 03:16:54 AM »
I saw the movie yesterday, and was a bit dissapointed.  Maybe it is because I've been following the movie since The Green Effect and hyped it up way too much for myself.  The movie was entertaining, but there are a few things I would like explained, things I didn't understand.  I liked the ending though.

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2008, 06:53:03 PM »
honest to God this is the BEST Review of the Happening I've ever heard.

Watch it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vlDT3BUy11Q

AND THEY SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE TITLE 'THE GREEN EFFECT'

Spoiler: I just found ou that GREEN was the color of LOVE on the mood ring!

Sri HK

• Futuristic (After Earth)

« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »
honest to God this is the BEST Review of the Happening I've ever heard.

Watch it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vlDT3BUy11Q

AND THEY SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE TITLE 'THE GREEN EFFECT'

Spoiler: I just found ou that GREEN was the color of LOVE on the mood ring!

Very good review.   :)

What you see isn't always what u get.

Sri HK

Richard Roeper gives thumbs up!!!!!!
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2008, 09:01:25 PM »
....while the other guest reviewer doesn't!!!   >:(

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/ebertandroeper/index2.html?sec=1&subsec=5779

I love Richard.....he is a consistent thumbs-up reviewer of Night's movies (and he feels exactly as we fans do about his movies.).

:-*
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 09:06:11 PM by Sri HK »

Sri HK

« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2008, 09:08:02 PM »
And this makes it..... two thumbs up for the movie!!!

;)

Wags

• The Happening

« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2008, 10:57:26 PM »
I swear to God, if I hear one more person say "The Happening isn't happening", I'm gonna jump off my roof.  Should have stuck with "The Green Effect".