Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 178

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 183

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 184

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 220

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 223

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 235

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 250

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /homepages/3/d161544361/htdocs/mnightfans/forums/Sources/Load.php on line 268
Official Review Thread

Author Topic: Official Review Thread  (Read 53413 times)

mamasan

Re: Official Review Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2008, 02:01:02 PM »
See, this is why I stress with people to ignore places like IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes.  This small fragment of people, most of whom already knew they were going to write a bad review before they (supposedly) watched the movie, are stealing your joy in anticipation of this film.  Don't let them!  The Lost World (JP 2), The Mummy, and National Treasure are all "rotten" according to that ridiculously out of touch site, yet all three were wildly successful films.  I wouldn't assume that the general public isn't going to like this film just because some film snobs at a fringe site are trashing it.  I never go there, because for all intents and purposes, the site is meaningless in any substantive way.  I recommend all Night fans avoid it as well, at least where Shyamalan films are concerned.

To be honest, I had never heard of Rotten Tomatoes till I discovered this MNS Web site. Man, I hate RT. Their critics are so irrational. They are so surly and dour so much of the time that I suspect they don't think film itself is a worthwhile form of entertainment. It seems as if their heads are only turned by the amount of money a movie makes or how much money they *think* it will make. Don't any of them like going to the movies just for the fun of it?

One other thought: the fact that some reviewers have reported giggles or laughs at showings of "The Happening" doesn't bother me at all. Laughing often is my response to something really scary. I realized this last night while watching a Travel Channel show on water parks. The camera followed riders down various harrowing, incredibly high rides--making it feel as if you were on the ride yourself--and once I hit the point of being totally freaked by the height, I had to start laughing out of self-preservation. Am I the only one who giggles after nearly jumping out of my seat during a scary moment in a movie?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:03:09 PM by mamasan »

SunnyD24

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2008, 02:40:48 PM »
I'm really frustrated by RT right now. There are alot of posotive reviews that they have not updated the site with...i.e The DailyCal, The DailyCamera, The Miami Herald and The Hollywood Reporter..all of which are very posotive.

What has frustrated me even more is that they took away a posotive review from the Montreal Film Journal.

Even more frustrating is that The Philadelphia Inquier was rated a rotten when it is clearly mixed but more posotive....it was given a C...but a still I think it is more of a recomendation.

The title is Shyamalan is back.....

"It's a typically ambitious Shyamalan venture - he throws his hat in the apocalypse-movie ring, takes up environmentalism in a big way, references 9/11 and pays tribute to Alfred Hitchcock, all in about 90 minutes."

Is there anyway to contact RT and let them know about this, because whether we like it or not, thousands of people look on RT..so a bad rap there could result in the loss of a ton of people.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:44:42 PM by SunnyD24 »

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2008, 02:44:25 PM »
Man!  I've decided to swear off reading any reviews, because any I try to read have told me more than I want to know by the end of the first paragraph already!  I'll just wait until after I see the movie, and then read the reviews, though I'll still likely avoid RT, as most of these people just make me laugh at their short-sighted, lemming-like, stupidity.  And the ironic thing is, that's how they describe the general public of movie-goers, and people who actually like movies that aren't depressing (GASP!), or are made by Shyamalan (HORRORS!).  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Professional film critics and "film buffs" oftentimes can't see the forest for the trees, and their sheer inability to think outside of the box film schools have created for them, and see reality for what it is, is both funny, and sad at the same time.  

As for the above post, it doesn't surprise me.  Don't think the editors of that site don't have their own agendas of what movies to promote, and slam.  As for thousands of people looking on RT, don't sweat it....  There's millions of people who DON'T look at the site at all (or even know it exists!). 
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

srkbeno.1

• Wide Awake

« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2008, 03:06:45 PM »
wow rt is at 12% this wont be good as alotta people will see that then decide not to watch the film..

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2008, 03:21:20 PM »
Ok, so I broke down (I'm really bored at work right now!) and checked out the reviews on RT (just the highlights) to see what they said.  Frankly, few of the reviewers said anything to make me believe that their opinions are worth anything at all.  However, a couple of the negative reviews echoed sentiments that I have had concerns about just from previews of the film, so I would tend to think they may be on to something.  Hopefully it's not as bad as they say, but I'm certainly going in prepared to be let down.  The good thing about that is then the only direction it can go is up!  ;D
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

San Jose Shark

• The Sixth Sense

• SJSharks.com
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2008, 04:56:55 PM »
  I really really hope i like this movie cause i'm not looking forward to Avatar at all so this means i wont see another original Night film for atleast 6 years or more. The good news is he has not let me down yet and i own and love of his work from the Sixth Sense to Lady and from what i've seen in the trailers this is the exact kind of movie i would love to see even if it wasn't directed by Shyamalan.
GO SHARKS!

ypehmish

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »

Miles

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2008, 05:13:45 PM »
Roger Ebert gave an M Night movie 3 out of 4 stars...

did you hear that guys?...that was the sound of hell freezing over.

That guy said the village was the like the 5th worst movie of the year in 2004. Which is bullocks. But im glad he gave the happening a decent review. People actually respect his opinion.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2008, 05:18:38 PM »
Roger Ebert gave an M Night movie 3 out of 4 stars...

That just made my day!! To be fair though, he gave Signs 4 out of 4 stars.

Sri HK

« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »
Long live that old man.......he is great.

I'm eagerly waiting for Richard to chip in soon....as he is known to be a big fan of SHyamalan.

;)
What you see isn't always what u get.

ypehmish

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2008, 05:21:15 PM »

Miles

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2008, 05:28:16 PM »
Long live that old man.......he is great.

I'm eagerly waiting for Richard to chip in soon....as he is known to be a big fan of SHyamalan.

;)

Agreed lol Roper always gives Night the upper hand.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »
I don't know why, but I am surprised by Eberts review.  I like what he had to say about the landscapes specifically.  I'm excited.

Hawkowl

• The Sixth Sense

« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2008, 05:45:27 PM »
That Ebert review made my day too! Especially after the rotten Rotten Tomatoes rating....
And it's good that the NY Times gave it a positive review too.
-Hawkowl

Sri HK

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2008, 05:53:51 PM »
I just read the Roger Ebert review in full again (avoiding any spoiler kinda sentences) and it purely falls into the kind of story and direction that we expect from Shyamalan.  I personally feel that Ebert got felt let down by the ending but he actually might have liked the rest of the movie....even though his review doesn't say so. :)

The rest of the reviewers can go to ......u know where i'm heading....

What you see isn't always what u get.