Official Review Thread

Author Topic: Official Review Thread  (Read 39803 times)

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• http://www.teddyblass.com
Official Review Thread
« on: June 06, 2008, 03:19:21 PM »
Alright folks, this thread is going to be the home for future discussions and postings of reviews for The Happening. PLEASE avoid starting new threads about the subject, and PLEASE note whether or not a review contains SPOILERS.

Reviews published so far:
The Happening Review from La Butaca (Spanish) [Positive] -(Spoilers?)
The Happening Review from Cine Y Letras (Spanish) [3 out of 5 stars] -(Spoilers?)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 03:25:41 PM by Dr Malcom Crowe »

SunnyD24

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
Re: Official Review Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 11:33:10 AM »
http://newsblaze.com/story/20080606192325mill.nb/topstory.html

Here is a new not so posotive one.

Not sure what is up with this website, but I wonder how they got the to see it because it is not viewing for critics until June 10th here in the United States.

Maybe it is a Eurpean site?

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:46:17 PM »
NEWSBLAZE review doesn't have any spoilers, but it sucks big time how this guy or gal wrote it. Once again, these critics are so stupid that they are still thinking that there will be a twist in all his films. M.Night said it clearly, NO TWIST at all.

mind-rape gloom doom : What is this mean?, I think he was bored and came with an stupid word.

And also the review compares "The Happening" with "The Mist". I have never seen "The Mist", but I don't think they are the same.

Then there's this film's whole fright flight road movie mayhem that appears awfully borrowed from War of The World's panic mode nomad, Tom Cruise

What is this guy thinking. Did he really saw "The Happening". Who showed it to him.

DULL REVIEW. Makes no sense at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEWSBLAZE: Comment on a story: newspaperfeedback@newsblaze.com

I sent my message to the website in regards to such dull review on their site. Here is my email message.

Hello,

I am Rohan, I was recently browsing through NEWSBLAZE site. I like it alot. It is formatted well and also lots of good information. I tried to find a link so I can reach "Prairie Miller" who

just wrote an review for upcoming M.Night Shyamalan movie "The Happening.

http://newsblaze.com/story/20080606192325mill.nb/topstory.html

If you can please forward this message to Prairie Miller. I am not quite impressed by the review he/she wrote. The review didn't made any sense at all. He/she compared the movie

with "THE MIST and "WAR OF THE WORLDS". There are lots of differences between the 3 movies.

I haven't seen "The Happening" yet, but I have read the script already. I think its pretty well written and I m also sure its well directed.

Prairie's words doesn't make sense the way he/she reviewed the movie. Where the movie was screened? It is scheduled to be screened to critics on June 10. And Praire quoted that

awfully borrowed from War of The World's panic mode nomad

I would like to ask "Why such comment of awfully borrowed from WAR OF THE WORLDs" towards an original idea written by M.Night?

I am not linked with M.Night Shyamalan or with project, but when I read the review I didn't like the Prairie commented negative marks on an original script. And also Prairie thought that there would be a twist ending. M.Night Shyamalan said it there is no twist.

Prairie gave the movie 1 Star?, why 1 star, Prairie said awfully borrowed from War Of The Worlds, Prairie could give the movie NO STAR.

Very dull review was written on an very good website.  I would appreciate if you could pass this email to Prairie Miller.

Thank You.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEWSBLAZE is located at :
705-2 E. Bidwell St, #213
Folsom, Ca. 95630

They are in US.

okman4ever

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »
I've been lurking these boards since the times of LITW, but I decided to register to start commenting.

1)  super stoked for The Happening.

2) the newsblaze review is horrible.  It doesn't actually say anything that would make me believe the person actually saw it.  They give the same general plot summary we already know, yet fail to give concrete examples of what the reviewer claims to be flawed.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 04:13:41 PM »
Glad you finally decided to register okman4ever. I agree, the review seems bogus.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »
I've been lurking these boards since the times of LITW, but I decided to register to start commenting.

1)  super stoked for The Happening.

2) the newsblaze review is horrible.  It doesn't actually say anything that would make me believe the person actually saw it.  They give the same general plot summary we already know, yet fail to give concrete examples of what the reviewer claims to be flawed.

Okman
Welcome...

ypehmish

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 08:36:44 PM »
i would not take this woman from Newsblaze seriously. she may have seen it. but she did give there will be blood a negative review and prom night and positive one. hopefully thats a sign of relief.

okman4ever

• Praying with Anger

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 11:11:07 PM »
Yeah, I just searched her name... she also gave Iron Man 2 stars (awesome movie).

BTW, Rohan, her email is at the bottom of the article:  judythpiazza @ newsblaze . com

SunnyD24

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:11:55 AM »
i would not take this woman from Newsblaze seriously. she may have seen it. but she did give there will be blood a negative review and prom night and positive one. hopefully thats a sign of relief.

Wow.....that right there just shot her credibility.

She probably can't handle movies that make you think.

Mr_Glass.1

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 09:27:41 AM »
Wow, she gave Iron Man 2 stars, that was the best movie so far this year.  Though I think The Happening will give it a run for it's money.
I see the world Lucius Hunt, just not the way you see it.

Ivy Walker to Lucius Hunt in The Village

ypehmish

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 01:06:17 PM »
new review...kinda.. but the reviewer liked it http://miamiherald.typepad.com/reeling/2008/06/a-sneak-peek-at.html

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 01:18:42 PM »

Wow.....that right there just shot her credibility.

She probably can't handle movies that make you think.

I disagree with both posts in regard to her credibility.  While I'm not vouching for her credibility, and I would say that her rating of 2 stars for Iron Man says more about that being poor, disliking that overrated, yawn-inducing waste of my time called There will be Blood certainly does nothing to her credibility.  In fact, I dare say that I would put less stock people's credibility who liked that, and the years other critical joke of a film No Country for Old Men.  This really has nothing to do with The Happening or Shyamalan's films, but to equate disliking TWBB to having bad movie credibility is absurd.  I haven't talked to a single soul who saw that movie and thought it was good.  We all feel like it was a waste of our time in this life.  And I LOVE movies that make you think, hence why I'm a big Shyamalan fan.  I just don't think that movie made anybody think at all.  Sleep, maybe, but certainly getting people to think wasn't a point of that movie.... 
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

ypehmish

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 01:44:31 PM »
dude she liked prom night.<--period

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 03:32:59 PM »
dude she liked prom night.<--period
\

Now THAT would be a reason to lose credibility! 

However, disliking TWBB certainly does not, which is what the other posters were saying. 

As I just posted in another thread though, if somebody reviews every one of Night's movies like they were the best movies ever created, they lose credibility as well.  There must be an objective balance struck for people's opinions to be taken as meaningful.  It's getting a little irritating even for a die-hard Night fan like me to see some of the man-love going on at this site!   :o 
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

SunnyD24

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 04:34:51 PM »
new review...kinda.. but the reviewer liked it http://miamiherald.typepad.com/reeling/2008/06/a-sneak-peek-at.html

I think that dude is right on the money...It will divide audiences. Some people might not be able to stand the message, while others will like it. None the less..it seems as if he had good things to say about it.