Official Review Thread

Author Topic: Official Review Thread  (Read 39690 times)

okokokok

• LITW

Re: Official Review Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 04:48:16 AM »
For the record, I disagree with everyone who thinks that someone has less "credibility" for only having a different opinion than you about a movie.  Credibility? lol.  Because they like or dislike certain movies?  They are credible because they like the movies I like?  Or they aren't credible if they like a movie I don't?  What?  Perhaps it's semantics and I just think the use of the word credibility doesn't work here.

Rohan, if that person had given the exact same details about the movie in their review, but said the movie was amazing, how would you have reacted?  Would you have spent all that time and effort?   

DILinator, you contradict yourself a bit in your post as you suggest someone's credibility shouldn't be judged on their disliking of a movie, and then you say that you "would put less stock in people's credibility who liked" that same movie.  You are saying the same thing as you are making a point against.

Personally, as an example of how I would consider someone may be lacking credibility would be if, say, someone were to see a movie and not like it all, hate it even, then try to stop people from seeing it for themselves...that would make me lose most all credibility in their discussions on anything art related.  Point being, what if that movie ended up changing the other persons life or becoming their favorite movie of all time?  And they didn't see it because you stopped them from seeing it.  Anyways, I don't see how the idea of credibility is even seriously applied if we are merely talking about someones opinion.  I think it's funny how egocentric peoples thoughts can become when it involves their own personal reaction to a movie.  I include myself in that group.  I have just been involved in too many situations where multiple people have had profoundly different experiences and feelings after watching the same movie, and then have those same people feel exactly the same way about other movies.

ypehmish

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 05:55:38 AM »
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 06:05:57 AM by ypehmish »

BN

• Unbreakable

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 08:54:24 AM »
Yet another negative review (minor spoilers possible). These are piling up at an alarming rate while Hulk is at a healthy 71% on the rotten Tomatometer.

http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home/view.asp?a=14401&s=Reviews

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 09:38:15 AM »
DILinator, you contradict yourself a bit in your post as you suggest someone's credibility shouldn't be judged on their disliking of a movie, and then you say that you "would put less stock in people's credibility who liked" that same movie.  You are saying the same thing as you are making a point against.

No, not really....  I was speaking in specific reference to that movie (There Will Be Blood), and I stated that a person's credibility wouldn't be shot for disliking it.  I then went on to say I would put less stock in a person's credibility if they did like it.  Not that they would have no credibility, but the people who are piling on that film and the eventual Best Picture winner, when most people didn't like them, and they were really not even close to as deep as some would have you believe, are clearly not in tune with what mainstream audiences like in a movie.  As this pertains to the discussion of The Happening, my point was that people of the mindset of liking those movies don't have as much credibility in determining whether people in general will like it.  Obviously, it all boils down to people's opinions, and everybody's entitled to their own.  However, when it comes to judging whether a person's review of The Happening is worth paying attention to, you get a glimpse into the other person's thinking when looking at their other reviews.  The fact that this reviewer didn't like TWBB would be a plus in evaluating whether her review of The Happening should be given credence.  However, her subsequent good review of that other film, which I am not familiar with, but sounds like "B" grade slasher film, negates any credibility she could have gained.  So while I acknowledge people's entitlements to their own opinions, those opinions can give you insight into whether you should give "credibility" to other reviews of theirs.   
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Rohan

• Global Moderator
  • Futuristic (After Earth)

• nightwriter22
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 10:47:42 AM »
new reviews-- no spoilers

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/reviews/films/259747/the-happening.html 2 stars

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/review-of-the-happening/ Mixed

Referring to second review. THE GREEN EFFECT wasn't that graphic at all.

SunnyD24

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 11:30:47 AM »
new reviews-- no spoilers

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/reviews/films/259747/the-happening.html 2 stars

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/review-of-the-happening/ Mixed

Referring to second review. THE GREEN EFFECT wasn't that graphic at all.

Rohan, I thought that THE GREEN EFFECT was pretty graphic...from watching the trailers it had most of what was in the red band trailers.

I'm also conerened about the negative reviews. It seems as if Night was going for kinda a B Movie type thing which explains the feel to it in the clips I have seen, but the problem is that. With its premise, and with its B-Movieish feel it will not connecr with alot of people meaning I'm predicting mixed reviews.

40-60% on RT.

Right now if you count em all...we have 3 posotive reviews (Two Spanish..and the Miami Hearld guy) and then like 4 or 5 negative revies.

okokokok

• LITW

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 01:33:47 PM »
and I stated that a person's credibility wouldn't be shot for disliking it

I didn't say you said their credibility would be shot.  the idea of NO CREDIBILITY was never even a part of our posts.  You got that from somewhere else.  I said you suggested you would JUDGE their credibility depending on what they like or don't like, not that you would negate it.  Saying someone has no credibility or someone has less credibility is judging.  That's what my point was.  So yes, really.

Also, most people didn't like There Will Be Blood?  Where did you get that info exactly?

Anyways, credibility is the wrong word I think is all.  We wouldn't be questioning the reviewers belief that the movie is actually good to them.  We would be determining if they have the same aesthetic as each one of us as a possible indicator of who may or may not like The Happening. 

This wouldn't even be happening if all the reviews were saying the movie was good, lol.  Because, only people who say it's bad should be judged as having not seen it or not being credible, lol.

I will question the credibility of some of the reviews of The Happening at this site though because many people are already saying it's going to be great.  It could suck. 

DILinator

• The Happening

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 02:46:26 PM »
and I stated that a person's credibility wouldn't be shot for disliking it

I didn't say you said their credibility would be shot.  the idea of NO CREDIBILITY was never even a part of our posts.  You got that from somewhere else.  I said you suggested you would JUDGE their credibility depending on what they like or don't like, not that you would negate it.  Saying someone has no credibility or someone has less credibility is judging.  That's what my point was.  So yes, really.

Also, most people didn't like There Will Be Blood?  Where did you get that info exactly?

Anyways, credibility is the wrong word I think is all.  We wouldn't be questioning the reviewers belief that the movie is actually good to them.  We would be determining if they have the same aesthetic as each one of us as a possible indicator of who may or may not like The Happening. 

This wouldn't even be happening if all the reviews were saying the movie was good, lol.  Because, only people who say it's bad should be judged as having not seen it or not being credible, lol.

I will question the credibility of some of the reviews of The Happening at this site though because many people are already saying it's going to be great.  It could suck. 

Boy, you sure do like to argue with me! lol!

You can "judge" a person's credibility, at least as it pertains to whether you value their reviews or not.  It can be said "credibility" is in the eye of the beholder, but I just took offense to the notion that disliking TWBB would be showing a lack of credibility.  The ironic things is, more often than not the kind of people who like that kind of movie, are going to pan Shyamalan's movies.

As for There Will be Blood, I know very few people who actually liked that movie.  I've already established that Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB ranking are worthless to me, because they represent such a small fringe group of the general population.  Obviously, the people I come into contact with and talk to are a small group as well, but I think it's very telling when a broad variety of people, spanning all age groups, interests, and genders, feel predominantly the same way about a film.  If just a small segment size of the general public feels that way, you can bet that it represents the larger whole of the general public pretty well.  TWBB appeals to the artsy-fartsy movie critic, film snob types out there, but certainly isn't much of a movie when you boil it down to it's essentials.  That's why your normal moviegoer will walk out and think it was a waste.  If you liked it, kudos to you.  But it's not a mainstream film by any stretch of the imagination.

And if you think I'm one of those who is not objective about Shyamalan, then you haven't been paying attention to my posts all over the site very well.  This site is too biased in favor of Shyamalan, and I applaud those (like myself) who are able to say "I think you're a great director Night, and you've made some of my favorite movies, but you blew it here" about one of his movies.  I've done that with LITW, and if I go see The Happening, and come away disappointed again, then I will not hesitate to say that here.  It's called being objective, and I am one of the most objective people here it seems when it comes to all things Shyamalan.   
"See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

I'm a "Signs" person.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 02:57:57 PM »
I'm not going to say anything except for: I enjoyed There Will Be Blood. It wasn't great or perfect, but I liked it.

Rohan

• Global Moderator

• nightwriter22
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 03:49:47 PM »
I'm not going to say anything except for: I enjoyed There Will Be Blood. It wasn't great or perfect, but I liked it.

Agree, I enjoyed There Will Be Blood, too. I think its directed very well. I love how PAUL ANDERSON wrote it and directed it. Its Classic.

BN

• Unbreakable

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 04:41:27 PM »
A positive review. I skimmed through it skipping most parts as it appeared to have major spoilers.
http://www.expats.cz/prague/article/film-cinema/the-happening-my-blueberry-nights/

Cleveland Heep

• LITW

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 05:05:32 PM »
THAT WAS A GREAT REVIEW.

i hope they stack up like that.

Dr Malcolm Crowe

• Global Moderator

• http://www.teddyblass.com
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 05:11:12 PM »
Yea, keep ones like those comin! lol.

ypehmish

• Unbreakable

• Email
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 05:17:15 PM »

SunnyD24

• The Sixth Sense

• Email
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »
That IMO was definatly the best written review for the film thus far.

Like the guy from the Miami Herald...he pointed out that this film will polarize people.

It was a very interesting posotive review...he was really mixed on it.